Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Business Quantum Speeds!!!

T1s and T3s are things of the past. I feel for anyone who is still on such antiquated technology.

I have a business account at my house. They don't ask you for your business permit or anything, everyone has the option for either one. The business accounts just come with static IPs, and the option to order subnets. My company does pay for the internet portion of mine, though since I work from home.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

3 edits

said by McBane:

T1s and T3s are things of the past.

Well.... yes and no. Remember these ordinary broadband connections are "best effort" with no SLA. If something breaks on a Saturday evening, you might not see a truck roll until Monday. The SLA on our T-1 is 2 hours, 24x7x365. Doesn't matter if it's Christmas eve. If the T-1 goes down, it gets immediate attention.

said by McBane:

I feel for anyone who is still on such antiquated technology.

Yeah, I just turned up a new T-1 at a location that is JUST over the line between Verizon and AT&T territory. Just 3 miles south is a location currently on FIOS, and eligible to upgrade to Quantum speeds.

But the new location can't even get DSL, so we had to go T-1 for the bargain price of $350/mo. Welcome back to 20th century speeds.

McBane

Plano, TX

Ya, I'm very well aware of the SLAs on T1s and T3s since I used to install them in the late 90s and early 2000s. The SLAs probably won't last much longer either since Telcos seem content on letting their copper die off now.

You really think all those people in NYC got their SLA when Verizon's cable vault was flooded out? You think a majority of those are up now weeks after the storm? And the real kicker, do you really think all of those T1s and T3s are going to be replaced?

Take a look at the NYC flood sticky on here and the pic of the chainsawed off copper conduits just sitting there ready to be ripped out and replaced with fiber.

Copper is dead, it's only a matter of time till the copper death comes to you:

»/r0/download/2···erge.jpg

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 edit

said by McBane:

You really think all those people in NYC got their SLA when Verizon's cable vault was flooded out? You think a majority of those are up now weeks after the storm? And the real kicker, do you really think all of those T1s and T3s are going to be replaced?

That will depend on whether (a) Verizon does the "right" thing, (b) regulations force them to honor their open access agreements for some period of time, or (c) converting to fiber means all previous agreements are rendered null & void.

I have a couple of locations (medical) on enterprise fiber for data. They also have T-1s for voice (full-spread PRIs). Rather than run copper AND fiber, the carrier chose to deliver the PRIs over the same fiber used to deliver the data circuit.

At the customer end, a media converter turns the fiber into copper Ethernet, handed to another router which takes Ethernet as input, and outputs into a T1 signal the PBX needs.

In other words, a T-1 can (quite easily) be delivered to the premises via fiber and converted on-site back into copper. No problem.

So it's not that Verizon CAN'T honor their committments to the CLECs. It will be interesting to see if they DO, or if they use this as the golden opportunity they've been waiting for to get the CLECs off their network.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to McBane

We used to have T3's in the '00s... replaced with two active and 6 dark OC3s... SLAs have been met every time - including 20 second downtime during Sandy... it's a question of how much you are willing to pay for redundancy... You can still get 99.999% overall connectivity without any issue...

FIOS is best effort - billed as such and services as such... If you run a business and rely on internet and only have FIOS don't complain when you are down... Maybe your CFO did the math and figured out it's cheaper to be down 1 day a year in average vs. paying for true redundancy...

McBane

Plano, TX

SONET circuits don't use the copper infrastructure, though. That's why I don't understand the need or use for older DS1s/DS3s unless it's something very rural (And even those will eventually go to fiber)

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

said by McBane:

SONET circuits don't use the copper infrastructure, though. That's why I don't understand the need or use for older DS1s/DS3s unless it's something very rural (And even those will eventually go to fiber)

Because it's simple and cheap to install a T-1. Copper is everywhere and fiber is not (yet). SONET terminating equipment is far more expensive, while a T-1 smartjack and CSU/DSU are dirt cheap.

It's a matter of economics and simplicity.

Also, SONET is more appropriate for long-haul, metro, and deep-pockets enterprise applications. Fiber in the form of B/G/X/PON is more cost effective for mass deployments to customers.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

Well I've done the switch back to residential from business. When I put the order in for residential 300/65, the tech told me I would need a new ONT for the higher speeds. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1500GT support 300mb/s also? A new ONT was put in model Motorola 1000-GTJ4, much smaller than the 1500GT! Maybe it was due to going from business to residential?

Speeds looking great:

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by serge87:

Well I've done the switch back to residential from business. When I put the order in for residential 300/65, the tech told me I would need a new ONT for the higher speeds. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1500GT support 300mb/s also? A new ONT was put in model Motorola 1000-GTJ4, much smaller than the 1500GT! Maybe it was due to going from business to residential?

Speeds looking great:

[att=1]

\

Serge were they able to switch your connection with little downtime or did it require a complete disconnect/reconnect order? I need to do this too because there is just no way that business is worth twice the cost of the residential package.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

My switch from res-to-business took less than 1 hour. However, the switch from business-to-residential took longer due to the ONT confusion. I was down for 24 hours until a tech could come out and swap the ONT. I'm not sure why that was necessary, as the person who took my residential order confirmed I had a GEN3 router and a GPON ONT and assured me I would be back up in less than 2-3 hours.

If you do decide to place the order, I would do it 8am sharp(or whatever the time is for you) when the call center opens so after the order is placed they may be able to get a tech in by the end of the day and downtime would be minimal.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

The Moto 1500G SOHO ONT can't support the 65M upstream, so there is no way it can do 300/65...

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by nycdave:

The Moto 1500G SOHO ONT can't support the 65M upstream, so there is no way it can do 300/65...

wah???

I have the 1500G SOHO ONT and always get 75 mbit up and the exact same speeds as my other ONT. I thought its problem was being able to handle two connections at that upload speed. The 150 package has the same exact upload speed as the 300 and that is what both me and serge had with the same ONT.
--

McBane

Plano, TX

Click for full size
I know the 1000GT4 can with ease

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

Adding to what houkouonchi mentioned: For a short period I had 150/180 (yes, 180mbps upload) because of a wrong FSC connection appropriation when I got my 150/35 plan. If the 1500GT can't do 65mb/s how could it do a whole 180?!

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to houkouonchi

Yes, and it can't handle those speeds when there are many ONT's off your PON splitter - congestion issue....

McBane

Plano, TX

I bet that's what it was all about was getting a splitter that wasn't over congested, which may necessitate an ONT swap if you're being moved to another OLT.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to serge87

said by serge87:

If you do decide to place the order, I would do it 8am sharp(or whatever the time is for you) when the call center opens so after the order is placed they may be able to get a tech in by the end of the day and downtime would be minimal.

I don't think they should have to switch out my ONT. So what did you do? Call residential order the service asking that your existing business service be canceled or call business and get asked to switch to residential or just call and business, cancel and then call residential sign up?
--

manuetdeo

join:2012-01-04
Sun City, CA

FWIW you have to watch those res CC people. i called about getting a second ONT for the triple play bundle and woke up with my bus. static line disconnected. spent all day on the phone getting it back!

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

I can't understand why it can't be easier..

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

said by houkouonchi:

said by serge87:

I don't think they should have to switch out my ONT. So what did you do? Call residential order the service asking that your existing business service be canceled or call business and get asked to switch to residential or just call and business, cancel and then call residential sign up?

I called Business support and told them I'd like to cancel and order residential. At one point I was talking to 2 people simultaneously similar to a conference call, one person from business setting up the cancellation and one person from residential getting my information and coordinating with the business support person to order the new residential plan.

After business was cancelled successfully the business support person hung up on the conference call and I finished my order and reviewed my billing information with the residential support guy. I remember asking twice if my current ONT/router were needed to be replaced and both times I was assured the only thing needed to be done was a central office connection activation(so much for that).

After my connection didn't come back 1-4 hours after I finished my call(ONT blinking "FAIL"), I called back to residential support, gave them the whole spiel and they said after running some test "a setting on my ONT was in the high range" and that it needed to be replaced. I had 2 techs come out at 8:30 the next morning and they told me the reason for the ONT switch was because it was a change from business to residential(although I made clear I had 150mbps with no problem on that ONT). They installed the ONT, left for approximately 20 minutes(FDH splitter change?) and came back to verify connection was live and speeds were normal.

Now on to the inevitable billing disaster on the horizon next month...

said by mario44222:

I can't understand why it can't be easier..

You and me both.

DiPersiaTech

join:2010-12-29
Broomall, PA
reply to yurimaster

said by yurimaster:

I called VZ sales and I was able to get 75/35 for the same price of 35/35, ran speedtest and getting 86/38. I'm really happy now. I still pay the same price but got more than 100% increase for download, this is a steal
»www.speedtest.net/result/2322884366.png

How'd you pull that off?!

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to serge87

Ok mine went decently smoothly but not as little downtime as you serge87 =P. I called business and told them i wanted to switch to residential. They said i needed to call residential and then they would contact business...

I do this and then they say they will have business call me while no the phone with them as the business people need to hear from me that I am cancelling but then later this was not required (weird).

Anyway on Monday I did the request and got an installation date for Wednesday (12/12). At around 3 AM I lose connection to my second line (the correct one). It comes back up for a short while at 4 AM but dies again and now there is no longer an ethernet link). It is down until about 10 AM until the guy comes out.

At first he said it should be good but it was still borked. He had to call up VZ and get them to do some more provisioning before it started working again.

I think I am gonna wait until my first bill before I attempt to move my other one over which is on the 1500G and has a static ip.
--

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to McBane

Slightly off topic here.

Static IPs on VZ FiOS are Only available on Business class right ?

If so do you think Verizon will change that Policy Now that Bright House Networks Tampabay Division and Central Florida Division Now Offers Static IPs to Residential Customers ?

1 Static IP is $9.99 a Month and 5 Static IPs is 19.99 a Month.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I find it unlikely considering tons of ISPs around the world offer static IPs to residential accounts. I seriously doubt VZ is going to change this regardless of what a few of their competitors do.
--

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bigdaddy

said by bigdaddy:

Slightly off topic here.

Static IPs on VZ FiOS are Only available on Business class right ?

If so do you think Verizon will change that Policy Now that Bright House Networks Tampabay Division and Central Florida Division Now Offers Static IPs to Residential Customers ?

1 Static IP is $9.99 a Month and 5 Static IPs is 19.99 a Month.

No.

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

I still can't get the business office to upgrade me to 75M/35M despite it being available on the website. I can't understand why this is a problem.

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

So finally after speaking with someone somewhat intelligent he said the Central Office can't suppose 75/35 but can support 150/65 and 300/65.

He did me the favor and is bumping me to 150/65 for an extra $12/mo.

They are sending a tech out on Monday

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

Service is finally in and getting 153/75. Very nice

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to ScrawnyB

said by ScrawnyB:

I don't see what paying the extra money for really affords you

Because it gives you an IP in a block not automatically banned by the rest of the world as a dynamic address. (a problem if you want to run your own mail server.) It also means some amount of downtime every time your address changes -- a) how long it takes to notice, b) how long it takes to find the new address (hard to do remotely), and then c) how long it takes to update DNS, and that change propagate.

(My office is currently behind a dynamic address. I loath the day TWC changes it and I have the week long argument with IT on the other side of the planet, just to get him to type an address into the checkpoint dashboard.)

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

Well the 31st I am getting my second FIOS connection moved over to residential. It looks like the dynamic connection (for some reason?) was costing me almost $15 more than the static IP connection. Due to this I am saving even more money going to residential. $234 savings per month for the same speed and minus 1 static IP.
--