nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to serge87

MVM

to serge87

Re: Business Quantum Speeds!!!

The Moto 1500G SOHO ONT can't support the 65M upstream, so there is no way it can do 300/65...

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by nycdave:

The Moto 1500G SOHO ONT can't support the 65M upstream, so there is no way it can do 300/65...

wah???

I have the 1500G SOHO ONT and always get 75 mbit up and the exact same speeds as my other ONT. I thought its problem was being able to handle two connections at that upload speed. The 150 package has the same exact upload speed as the 300 and that is what both me and serge had with the same ONT.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Click for full size
I know the 1000GT4 can with ease
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to McBane

to McBane
Adding to what houkouonchi mentioned: For a short period I had 150/180 (yes, 180mbps upload) because of a wrong FSC connection appropriation when I got my 150/35 plan. If the 1500GT can't do 65mb/s how could it do a whole 180?!

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to houkouonchi

MVM

to houkouonchi
Yes, and it can't handle those speeds when there are many ONT's off your PON splitter - congestion issue....
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

I bet that's what it was all about was getting a splitter that wasn't over congested, which may necessitate an ONT swap if you're being moved to another OLT.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to serge87

to serge87
said by serge87:

If you do decide to place the order, I would do it 8am sharp(or whatever the time is for you) when the call center opens so after the order is placed they may be able to get a tech in by the end of the day and downtime would be minimal.

I don't think they should have to switch out my ONT. So what did you do? Call residential order the service asking that your existing business service be canceled or call business and get asked to switch to residential or just call and business, cancel and then call residential sign up?
manuetdeo
join:2012-01-04
Sun City, CA

manuetdeo

FWIW you have to watch those res CC people. i called about getting a second ONT for the triple play bundle and woke up with my bus. static line disconnected. spent all day on the phone getting it back!
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222

I can't understand why it can't be easier..
serge87
New York

serge87 to McBane

to McBane
said by houkouonchi:

said by serge87:

If you do decide to place the order, I would do it 8am sharp(or whatever the time is for you) when the call center opens so after the order is placed they may be able to get a tech in by the end of the day and downtime would be minimal.

I don't think they should have to switch out my ONT. So what did you do? Call residential order the service asking that your existing business service be canceled or call business and get asked to switch to residential or just call and business, cancel and then call residential sign up?

I called Business support and told them I'd like to cancel and order residential. At one point I was talking to 2 people simultaneously similar to a conference call, one person from business setting up the cancellation and one person from residential getting my information and coordinating with the business support person to order the new residential plan.

After business was cancelled successfully the business support person hung up on the conference call and I finished my order and reviewed my billing information with the residential support guy. I remember asking twice if my current ONT/router were needed to be replaced and both times I was assured the only thing needed to be done was a central office connection activation(so much for that).

After my connection didn't come back 1-4 hours after I finished my call(ONT blinking "FAIL"), I called back to residential support, gave them the whole spiel and they said after running some test "a setting on my ONT was in the high range" and that it needed to be replaced. I had 2 techs come out at 8:30 the next morning and they told me the reason for the ONT switch was because it was a change from business to residential(although I made clear I had 150mbps with no problem on that ONT). They installed the ONT, left for approximately 20 minutes(FDH splitter change?) and came back to verify connection was live and speeds were normal.

Now on to the inevitable billing disaster on the horizon next month...
said by mario44222:

I can't understand why it can't be easier..

You and me both.
DiPersiaTech
join:2010-12-29
Broomall, PA

DiPersiaTech to yurimaster

to yurimaster
said by yurimaster:

I called VZ sales and I was able to get 75/35 for the same price of 35/35, ran speedtest and getting 86/38. I'm really happy now. I still pay the same price but got more than 100% increase for download, this is a steal
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4366.png

How'd you pull that off?!

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to serge87

to serge87
Ok mine went decently smoothly but not as little downtime as you serge87 =P. I called business and told them i wanted to switch to residential. They said i needed to call residential and then they would contact business...

I do this and then they say they will have business call me while no the phone with them as the business people need to hear from me that I am cancelling but then later this was not required (weird).

Anyway on Monday I did the request and got an installation date for Wednesday (12/12). At around 3 AM I lose connection to my second line (the correct one). It comes back up for a short while at 4 AM but dies again and now there is no longer an ethernet link). It is down until about 10 AM until the guy comes out.

At first he said it should be good but it was still borked. He had to call up VZ and get them to do some more provisioning before it started working again.

I think I am gonna wait until my first bill before I attempt to move my other one over which is on the 1500G and has a static ip.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to McBane

to McBane
Slightly off topic here.

Static IPs on VZ FiOS are Only available on Business class right ?

If so do you think Verizon will change that Policy Now that Bright House Networks Tampabay Division and Central Florida Division Now Offers Static IPs to Residential Customers ?

1 Static IP is $9.99 a Month and 5 Static IPs is 19.99 a Month.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

I find it unlikely considering tons of ISPs around the world offer static IPs to residential accounts. I seriously doubt VZ is going to change this regardless of what a few of their competitors do.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to bigdaddy

MVM

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

Slightly off topic here.

Static IPs on VZ FiOS are Only available on Business class right ?

If so do you think Verizon will change that Policy Now that Bright House Networks Tampabay Division and Central Florida Division Now Offers Static IPs to Residential Customers ?

1 Static IP is $9.99 a Month and 5 Static IPs is 19.99 a Month.

No.
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222

I still can't get the business office to upgrade me to 75M/35M despite it being available on the website. I can't understand why this is a problem.
mario44222

mario44222

So finally after speaking with someone somewhat intelligent he said the Central Office can't suppose 75/35 but can support 150/65 and 300/65.

He did me the favor and is bumping me to 150/65 for an extra $12/mo.

They are sending a tech out on Monday
mario44222

mario44222

Service is finally in and getting 153/75. Very nice
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

I don't see what paying the extra money for really affords you

Because it gives you an IP in a block not automatically banned by the rest of the world as a dynamic address. (a problem if you want to run your own mail server.) It also means some amount of downtime every time your address changes -- a) how long it takes to notice, b) how long it takes to find the new address (hard to do remotely), and then c) how long it takes to update DNS, and that change propagate.

(My office is currently behind a dynamic address. I loath the day TWC changes it and I have the week long argument with IT on the other side of the planet, just to get him to type an address into the checkpoint dashboard.)

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to McBane

to McBane
Well the 31st I am getting my second FIOS connection moved over to residential. It looks like the dynamic connection (for some reason?) was costing me almost $15 more than the static IP connection. Due to this I am saving even more money going to residential. $234 savings per month for the same speed and minus 1 static IP.
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog to McBane

to McBane
How are the ping and latency on business as compared to residential?

I'm on residential 75/35 and would like much better latency
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

I get 1ms to my gateway on GPON. When I was on BPON it was about 5-7ms
codydog
Newport, RI

codydog

Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff to codydog

MVM,

to codydog
Business and Residental use the same network (up to the CO, not sure if they route different to the internet - doubt it).

You'll see no change in latency or ping times unless they also upgrade you from BPON to GPON (if you're on BPON now) or move you from MoCA to Ethernet. Both of which may be possible without switching to business.
codydog
Newport, RI

codydog

Thanks - do I call the 800# and ask or is there a better way?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Call for what? Everything residential goes through the 1-800-Verizon number. The Business FiOS internet number is 888-743-7211.

If you're moving from Residential to Business at the same speed level expecting a decrease in latency, you're gonna be disappointed.

FiOS already has some of the lowest latency for residential and small business class service, maybe you're having a different issue?
serge87
New York

serge87 to codydog

to codydog
said by codydog:

How are the ping and latency on business as compared to residential?

I'm on residential 75/35 and would like much better latency

I had business GPON and now have residential GPON and there is no difference for me in latency between the two.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

I think some people expect the speed of light to travel faster than 186,000 miles/sec for businesses
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

said by ITALIAN926:

I think some people expect the speed of light to travel faster than 186,000 miles/sec for businesses

Well if anyone can do it... It would be VZ

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to McBane

to McBane
Well as expected my second account change did not go through right. I guess they still didn't fix putting the other ONT on a sub-unit and they are going to have to send someone out in a few days to fix that issue =(

The new order I had for replacing the service on my 1500G ONT wiped existing residential service on the 1000GT ONT that I got switched over on the 12th so I was left without any internet this morning.

Fun times.