how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pdx_80

join:2012-11-12
Hillsboro, OR

1 edit

[DSL] Frontier DSL (Portland, OR westside) -- worth it?

I currently have Comcast's 3.0 down connection, bare-bones local phone service, and limited basic cable. For this I pay just under $100/month.

I am looking to switch to Frontier because I can get DSL and nationwide phone service for $60, and be free to switch my TV to satellite, which should give me better TV for the same amount of money if I stick to a lower package, not to mention locking in my rate for a while. Comcast's lower tiers just don't have the channels I want, but satellite does. Sadly, FIOS is not an option in my particular corner of Hillsboro, OR.

I'd keep the Comcast internet, but it's my understanding that I won't get a discount without their TV service. That I have their phone service does not matter to them, discount-wise. So...

I think the internet speed for that Frontier bundle is 3.0, so it should be comparable to my current Comcast speeds, or slightly greater, since it is direct from the CO to me, rather than shared with the neighborhood.

But I've never had Frontier DSL, or even Verizon before it. Is it worth it, or is it a bag of hurt?

Thanks!

wchill09

join:2012-10-15
Onondaga, MI

Well, we may not be comparing apples to apples here because I'm in Michigan but I've had nothing but grief since installing Frontier DSL 2 months ago.....Let me say that the local field techs are doing their jobs as I've had 6 service calls for connection issues so I can't fault them but the problem lies higher up the tree....."The local mechanic can't fix the bus driver....." and repair at that level is not happening....If my experience is anything like what you will experience, you will need to carefully weigh the financial savings with the amount of grief involved. I had a Sprint Aircard for 2 years prior to installing Frontier DSL and went to Frontier strictly for financial reasons. I can count on one hand the number of short outages we had with Sprint during that time frame. I now have more temporary outages "as in 5-6 minutes long" in one day than I had in the two years with Sprint.....The above screen shot is indicative of a 5 minute outage. The first 3 hops are all Frontier servers....Just my 2 cents worth...

wchill09

join:2012-10-15
Onondaga, MI

Click for full size
Screen shot.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to pdx_80

Before this was Verizon territory it was GTE territory and the copper was fairly well maintained during both GTE and Verizon days (I started with dial-up, then ISDN, and eventually DSL 7mb/s service with GTE/Verizon before switching to FiOS).

I had excellent service in those days and I haven't read many complaints here about Oregon DSL service by Frontier; of course, in most of Washington county, folks probably have FiOS instead of DSL...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Expand your moderator at work

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 edit
reply to pdx_80

Re: [DSL] Frontier DSL (Portland, OR westside) -- worth it?

said by pdx_80:

I'd keep the Comcast internet, but it's my understanding that I won't get a discount without their TV service. That I have their phone service does not matter to them, discount-wise. So...

i would double check that, the bundling discount is for tv or phone service. i currently pay $80 for the performance teir(22/4.4) with local and more phone service.
Expand your moderator at work