Search similar:

uniqs
Justa Testn
join:2005-05-04
Mesa, AZ

Justa Testn

What's the next step up from a DIR-655?

Hi all,

Having some big problems with it using the wireless connects. I'll post about that in another thread. Just wondering what would be an upgrade to this router from D-Link? Or, do I even want another?

I have 3 DGL-4300 still running nicely for years although on one of them, one of the gigabit ports went dead. Hmmm, wonder if there's a way to fix that?

Thanks!

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I had a DIR-655; it was good, but when it started going flaky on me, I jumped over to an Asus RT-N16...

»www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· =1890488

Flashed it with Tomato, and it's been solid as a rock... Good speeds, very good wireless range and stability. I'm very happy with it... Been well over a year that I've been running it, as well.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Justa Testn

to Justa Testn
The DIR-655 is a rock solid router. They are still available. The only reason why there could be issues seen is external environment conditions or configuration errors. I've been enjoying my B1 for a while now. Other close models to the 655 is the 657, 645 and 651 of which I have the 657 and 645 and are solid routers for general use and gaming.

Whats going on with the wireless?

Can also review this for your DGL series routers:
DGL-4500 Gaming and Gamefuel for XBL
BimmerE38FN

to Justa Testn
For fixing a dead port, if other ports are still running. Connect a external Gb network switch. I use a 24 port on the back of any router that I use.
ddrant
join:2010-03-02
Womelsdorf, PA

ddrant to Justa Testn

to Justa Testn
I had a DIR-655 as well that started having the same issues. Had to sometimes reboot it to get it to accept wireless connections again, but the wired connections never had an issue. Wonder if the wireless components get flaky with age.

Anyways, I second the Asus RT-N16 suggestion. Upgraded last fall during a Newegg Black Friday deal and it's been fantastic after I flashed it with Tomato (I use Shibby's AIO build). I think I paid around $50 after rebate.

My next upgrade it'll be the newer Asus RT-N66U flashed with Tomato again, but it's still way to pricey for me (like the RT-N16 was when it first came out).

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Justa Testn
If the wireless was being problematic, means mostly that there could have been external interferences. Usually due to other WiFi routers being near by and of there is alot, they use up the channel and any router being set for Auto Scan, will stop, disconnect and try to find a open channel. Happens alot in 2.4Ghz congested areas. I recommend if this is the case then 5Ghz is the next step for wifi connections.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to ddrant

Premium Member

to ddrant
I had a DIR-825 and recently moved to the Asus family as well, their Asus RT-AC66u. I would really hesitate to try anything D-Link again as between the 825 and their DAP wireless bridge neither is being used.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Justa Testn
Did we try to fix your 825 and DAP? What became of that? I think the 825 is a solid router. Been working great for me and others.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

The DAP came down quick as it was knocking my Pioneer receiver off the network. With the 825 I tried everything you guy were helping others with I the other 2 threads, no dice.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

1 edit

BimmerE38FN

Sent you a PM.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Justa Testn

to Justa Testn
I went from a DIR-655 to a DIR-825; for a while I regretted the choice. The 825 is finally a stable workhorse, initially it had issues.

The latest flavors of firmware for my DAP-1522's (1.40) and the DIR-825 (2.07NA) are solid. The DAP now correctly get's it's time set from the time server.

That being said I do still plan on eventually upgrading to an N900 (still leaning to a WD - MyNet N900 Central largely because of it's 1tb/2tb drive and dedicated 800mhz server processor) and perhaps DAP-1533's though I may dodge the 1533's and just pull a wire to connect my TiVo's, or spend a little more to switch to MOCA. I'm holding off on upgrades until the TiVo app for Android's support the TiVo Stream.

Currently for all intents my two TiVo's each on a separate DAP-1522 seem to currently respond as if they are wired. If adding the TiVo Stream proves to function with the TiVo's still on DAP's I'll gradually do upgrades, likely w/DAP-1533's.

The addition and transition to DUAL band however you do it is well worthwhile; In my immediate area the common 2.4ghz band there are 13 SSID's in range of me all overlapping. The 5ghz band is a totally different story, crickets as I am the only SSID. Even if I were not at least those channels in 5ghz land DO NOT OVERLAP.