how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
reply to atuarre

Re: $40 dollar charge for them putting a splitter on a cable?

Hmmm...provided modem was a wiring problem? Yes I was charged one fee for replacing the SL provided modem. The charge was labelled "customer education."

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Pinkgecko

What else would prevent the charges would be having techs trained enough to realize that adding a splitter inside on the modem to adjust a signal level is crap. How about adjust the drop or AT the drop and not charge the customer for crap signal levels? Then again, I guess it is CLEARLY the customers wiring at fault for providing to high of a signal level to the modem O.o

Pinkgecko

@suddenlink.net
reply to atuarre

I work at SL and the reason you were charged is that customer is responsible for any wiring INSIDE the home. Even if you are in a rental. We offer all customers Safeguard which is a wire protection plan. It is only $5 a mnth and will prevent you from those charges.

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to atuarre

I got one of those too when I was having problems. It was amazing the "problems" they found in my house when my node was overloaded. The terminations were replaced every visit. A splitter was installed, next removed and replaced with a barrel, then the barrel was replaced. The modem was replaced multiple times, the run from the street(aerial) was redone. I think in total I only racked up 2 service charges, both dropped.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

What stinks is there is a handful of people in the process of billing you. Even my first month and on install I was told in person that there was NO install fee promotion. First bill I got was w/ install fee AND per outlet charge. After calling them they refunded the install fee but wouldn't do anything about the outlet fee because the ticket showed 3 lines...... Would have been silly to get 3 lines run when I didn't even have a tv at that point, lol. And besides, the people doing the work most of the time aren't even SL techs so they could care less what they put on the ticket.

But even if you turned down getting your inside lines worked on, they could still hit you with the truck roll charge. Another fee that is "supposed" to be applied on any work where no problems are found with "their" equipment.

And OP, if you run your own line to the box, make sure to use compression fittings so they can't claim it was your crimp on connectors causing the signal problem. Been through that bs twice....
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to atuarre

I'm not going to knock Suddenlink because they have been pretty good to me, sure a hell of a lot better than Cox Communications ever was. There was one tech, I never did get his name, back in the Cox days (he's with Suddenlink) that always looked after me.

They have always at least tried. I think maybe it was an honest mistake on the techs part. He was here not long, was more interested in texting on his cell phone, and he took a call from some girl (which wasn't work related, cause I could hear her screaming about why he never calls her), then put the 3-way splitter at the end of the cable (as someone else said, I don't know why this wasn't put in the box) and left.

But if they want to do it like that, I'll go buy my own coax, run it from the modem and let them hook it up to their box, and when they want to try to charge me saying its my wiring, i'll change the cable out and show them its not the cable affecting the signal, and that will be that.

They credited my account (atleast that was what the rep said), so I'm done with it. Why they couldn't do it for this month, I don't know, but as long as it shows up for next month, im fine.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to atuarre

Further on this topic...

If indeed anything inside the residence is up to you to keep working, then why would they be changing the splitter in the first place?

And.... If they wanted to change it, shouldn't they need to not only inform you of the charge, but get your authorization before doing the work?

Something stinks, and it's not me.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
Conroe, TX
reply to atuarre

Well like I told the guy on the phone, its not my fault they can't get the signal here the way its supposed to be. I have had signal issues as far back as when it was Cox. They come out here, they put one of those little things on the end of the cable, they've taken them away, they've brought them back, and on and on.

Put it in the box, or off the pole, but don't come here and tell add it to the end of a perfectly good cable and then act like there was something wrong with that cable and charge me a fee for it.

If i'm gonna spend 40 bucks, I'd rather spend it towards bandwidth or something like that, not a service fee that I should have never been charged for in the first place.

I'm no expert on the signal or the copper coax, but surely there is something that can be done to keep the signal from fluctuating so much, and if that's just natural for cable technology, then I would chalk having to send a tech out when signals fluctuate as a cost of doing business.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
reply to Beezel

If that's the case the splitter should have been installed in the box and not the customers responsibility.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to atuarre

The splitter will help with the power levels. I have no cable service except internet through Cox (had Suddenlink before Cox). My power levels for downstream were in the upper end of the +10 limit. The upstream was a little low. I have a two way splitter installed that brought by downstream levels close to 0 and boosted my upstream a little. So since you say you have problems with power levels then a splitter might be the best solution to help get the power levels in better range. They lower down stream power levels and raise upstream. If the downstream levels are to low then you might need a amp installed to boost the levels.

Without a inside wire maintenance plan if Suddenlink still has one. You are responsible for anything that goes inside the home after initial install. Outside they take care of from the pole to the house for free. With a DOCSIS 3 modem your downstream power levels should be between -10 to +10 the closer to 0 the better.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Moostang

Once it's past their box on the pole, it's yours to deal with. You might get some techs that don't note the work done and don't charge you... but everything in the house is 'supposed' to be on you. On a new install, you're even supposed to be charged per outlet past the first resulting in a very quickly increasing install bill.....

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
reply to atuarre

I thought that wiring and splitters inside the house are not considered the cable company's property even if they installed them. I know that you can hire contractors to install network, phone, and cable throughout a house being built but it wouldn't be the contractors property. You're just hiring them to install it but it is the homeowner's actual property.

So if the cable company has to drive out to your house to change out your splitter....wouldn't that come out of your wallet?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to atuarre

If their shit is broken you shouldn't have to pay anything. My understanding is, if you call out a tech, and they find nothing wrong, you get a charge, not if they have to fix something.

What a racket, you not only pay for service, you have to pay them to come fix their broken shit. Nice.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

NoOneButMe

join:2001-08-24
TX
reply to atuarre

sounds like the fee they charge in my town to come out and fix things they have private contractors so there is fee's.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
Conroe, TX

I just called Suddenlink customer support in regards to a charge on my bill for the amount of $40.00. I want to know why I was charged for the tech putting a splitter on the end of a cable because they can't deliver the signal here.

The cable comes from the pole right into the wall, to the modem. There is no other cables, because I don't have Suddenlink for anything but Internet.

The customer service rep told me that it was noted that he put a splitter on the end of the cable, and that was why I was being charged. There is nothing wrong with the cable. I am always having signal issues out here. There was a little thing on the end of the cable before that another tech put on there to do something with the signal, it either said -10b or +10b, I don't remember. All he did was removed that, and put a splitter on.

So can anyone from Suddenlink chime in about this? I can understand being charged if the coax was actually bad and had to be replaced, but that is not the case. Then the CS rep told me he can't apply the credit to the amount now, and that it would have to show up next month. I don't understand that either..