join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to frdrizzt

Re: Samsung boxes to be the new DVR

said by frdrizzt:

There's just about a 0% chance that CV invests all that money into DVR+ and then lots of money into a physical multi-room DVR. That's why I said it won't. It would be a total step backwards.

Depends on your perspective. I don't have any CV boxes because I want multi-room DVR, the ability to pause live TV, and ability to store as much as I want.

I'd call it a step forward.

I also think DVR+ will go away in time. Content providers will simply allow old content to be streamed through the internet (with ads), so DVR+ will be obsolete. Many already do this.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
I'm talking step backwards in terms of corporate view (money spent and years of legal fighting up to the supreme court to so quickly plan a replacement), not any pros & cons of hardware & software DVR.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
said by frdrizzt:

I'm talking step backwards in terms of corporate view (money spent and years of legal fighting up to the supreme court to so quickly plan a replacement), not any pros & cons of hardware & software DVR.

Unless the cost benefit analysis has changed. They did the DVR+ because they analyzed it and decided it would cost less. If they have found costs are greater then expected to run the service or that the cost of the physical DVR has gone down or even that they believe they are losing revenue without a physical DVR then as a corporation they must change their strategy.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

I'm talking step backwards in terms of corporate view

Got it, and I agree from that perspective. Of course, most of us don't really care about the corporate view.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.