uniqs

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

[Newsgroups] DMCA catching up to Usenet?

I've always known about the HBO stuff, so I'm quick to get it, but lately I've noticed a CW title, a CBS title and a ABC title all "missing parts" within hours of being posted.

I'm forced to get my "fix" from Torrents, which is something I don't like doing (I feel like I'm exposing myself).
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

Yep they are becoming more prevalent and mainly because of just 1 outfit, Morganelli.

You have to diversify. The days of getting your content from one NSP are over. You should probably have access to 3 different tier 1 providers or their resellers now. I would say two at the least.

I see no need to go back to torrents. For me, all of this mess has just been a minor inconvenience. At first it caught me by surprise and I was unprepared but now it is just old-hat. I have adjusted and now it doesn't affect me anymore. Joe Morganelli and his dung heap for a company can believe all they want but the facts are they are having a very minimal impact on Usenet.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

said by sandman_1:

Yep they are becoming more prevalent and mainly because of just 1 outfit, Morganelli.

You have to diversify. The days of getting your content from one NSP are over. You should probably have access to 3 different tier 1 providers or their resellers now. I would say two at the least.

Do you mean, for example, paying for multiple US usenet providers such as, newsdemon, astraweb and usentetnow, or do you mean paying for a US provider and one from europe like sunnyusenet?
sandman_1

sandman_1

I mean get at least two tier 1 providers or resellers that use them. NL providers can be a good backup to your US provider account though. They seem to remove content more slowly than US providers. Sunny is good from what I have heard. The only thing bad about them are their headers. If you download headers, don't use them. If you download just NZBs, you are good to go.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I'm running newsdemon,Astra and frugal, NONE if them had that content

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Astraweb barfed late yesterday afternoon affecting a large number of posts propagating out to everyone, if the articles were posted through them which most are. Not saying this affected your downloads, but I think quite a bit that came through during the 2-3 hour window were completely broken and missing way to many blocks to repair.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

One was from last week, which I couldn't get on Saturday morning, the "broadcast" and web versions were all nfg.

I got it from torrents and ill check the others when I get home.
sandman_1

sandman_1

With a little ingenuity, there are free servers out there that can supplement your main accounts. Some even have up to 900 days retention. Most are in the NL too and have no US servers. I am not even paying for Usenet now and I max out my 30Mbps line with just free servers.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Same 2 series are gone again this week. It's not Astra, it's takedowns
sandman_1

sandman_1 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I know Arrow gets nuked fast for some reason. Using Sickbeard to snatch the nzb as soon as it is released can improve the chances of success of getting a show like that.
newster
join:2011-09-26

newster to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I think it's going to be only a matter of time before all mainstream content gets quickly taken down, and the only easy way to find anything will be to use torrent sites. Usenet as many of us know it will come to an end.

Usenet will still be a valuable service for the rare, obscure content, like the kind of things that no one would still be seeding a year later. Maybe also as a secret stash for small private sites.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

There is a lot of money tied up in hardware when it comes to Usenet, if it goes down it's going to take more then the "downloader" with it, hardware providers, tech jobs (not tech support) bandwidth providers.. et all.
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Yes, exactly it's a paid for service.. if the customers leave.. all the company’s will go belly-up.. so it's really up to the company’s to make some smart choices to keep their "customer base"

If astraweb really is automating DMCA takedowns.. you can say/guess that they are actually choking their own necks..
Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

Anon00 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Geez is DMCA's reach really global. Is there no Usenet providers outside their reach?
sandman_1

1 edit

sandman_1 to newster

to newster
said by newster:

I think it's going to be only a matter of time before all mainstream content gets quickly taken down, and the only easy way to find anything will be to use torrent sites. Usenet as many of us know it will come to an end.

Usenet will still be a valuable service for the rare, obscure content, like the kind of things that no one would still be seeding a year later. Maybe also as a secret stash for small private sites.

Nah Usenet will survive. The places to easily get the NZB files will be dead. The people taking down content are using these NZB sites to do it. I mean why go through all the trouble of doing raw search for stuff when those sites (ie NZBMatrix and the alike) do it for you. That is all this Morganelli Group do. They use a simple algorithm, Naive Bayes Classifier, something that is used for email spam, to catch the so called offending NZB files which point to supposed infringing content. It is called "naive" for a reason. It has been proven to be wrong just by simply naming the NZB file something it looks for despite the file contained being legit content such as a Linux distro. It filed an automatic DMCA take down for a Linux Distro, which Astraweb took down with the utmost alacrity.

sfl0w
join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL

sfl0w

Please stop giving the piracy trolls credit openly on the forums and mentioning them by name, we don't want to do anything to give credence to them trying to disrupt the Usenet, and that includes giving them a bump in their website's SEO. Best not to even acknowledge them.
noclip
join:2004-04-20
Fairfax, VA

noclip to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Agreed. I had never even heard of the guy, he sounds like a bit of a troll really, reveling in people's complaints about his DMCA triumphs. But honestly this can't be a surprise to anyone. Usenet has become so easy and automated that even copyright holders can find their stuff on it on day 1. It is much more vulnerable to becoming a victim of its own popularity and success than torrents.
sandman_1

sandman_1 to sfl0w

to sfl0w
Who says I am giving them credit? All I was pointing out was that it was people that favored sites like NZBMatrix who are shooting themselves in the foot. The Morganelli Group only exploits this ease of use.

And who cares if you mention them by name? Are you scared the boogey man is going to get you or something? I could care less what they think about me. I feel it is best for people to know who they are up against. It is best to, "Know thy Enemy", as they say, wouldn't you agree?
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to sandman_1

to sandman_1
I just picked up Sunny a few minutes ago. Did the 30 option with just one month to try them out. Costs only $5.87 so its worth a shot. So far it is working well, I am filling my 30mbit pipe entirely off of them. If this month works out well, I'll probably do the three month option on a continuing basis.

Fortunately I didn't get billed for astraweb this month because their payment processor is unable to process mastercard at the moment, so I'm not double paying.

For those who need help signing up with them, go to www.sunnyusenet.com with google chrome (don't use regular translate pages, they won't work due to being SSL, it has to be done within your browser itself.) Pick credit card as your option and don't bother with the bank selection, you don't need it.

On the final checkout page, at the very bottom there's a "paypal" button. Click that and you just pay with paypal. Make sure to pick USD at the top so that you see exactly what you're paying rather than eurotrash currency.

Hope that helps.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to sandman_1

Premium Member

to sandman_1
Unfortunately you're also helping them advertise as DSLR is a frequently crawled and cached website that often appears near the top of search results.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sandman_1

Premium Member

to sandman_1
The problem with "searching" is how does one know that file(s) 12345.partxxx.rar is "Arrrow" for example?
sandman_1

sandman_1 to decx

to decx
You really don't think they have already contacted and advertised their services to these content companies? They are already known to the industry my friend.
newster
join:2011-09-26

newster

The guy is a gigantic liar, promising "We 100% stop piracy on the Usenet ecosystem."

It's only at best 100% of the usenet posts they know about, which is anyway only a tiny fraction of the number of torrent users, which have been untouched.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
well the morons on nzbmatrix don't help. they always say in comments where a file is still up and always asking who does not remove files.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

To a lesser extent (not file specific) the same thing is happening in basically every Usenet related forum including this one.
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
We need to switch back to talking on the usenet..

(go where they can't find us )
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by ophelus:

Ah, use Usenet for what it was made for... what a novel idea.
sandman_1

sandman_1 to ophelus

to ophelus
said by ophelus:

(go where they can't find us )

That's how I use to do it back in the day. I would post to a binary group requesting something and share something in return. 90% of the time it worked but it required patience.