Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

A tale of two Cable Companies

»danbury.dailyvoice.com/lifestyle···er-sandy

Cablevision says its customers can receive a credit for any "full or partial day during which they were unable to access Optimum services,"; according to a statement on its website.

"Customers who have experienced a loss of service should contact Cablevision within 30 days of service being restored and request a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable, including periods when there was no electricity to the home or business where the services are received," said the statement.

Cablevision's senior executive vice president, Kristin Dolan added: "Customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost."

Comcast's spokesperson Kristen Roberts says: "We want to do everything we can to make things even a little easier our customers impacted by the storm go through this difficult time. We will handle customers on an individual basis so we can be sensitive to their specific needs and circumstances. "

Paraphrasing:

Cablevision - just let us know if you had an interruption of service and we'll credit you. Oh, yeah, we'll also replace at no charge any of our equipement that was damaged.

Comcast - Call us up and make your case, good luck because we're gonna make you beg.

It there any question why Comcast's customer service consistently rates among the worst of any comapny?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

FYI - Comcast has this info on their site:

Hurricane Season - Hurricane Sandy
»www.comcast.com/hurricaneseason/

Also see these threads on the Comcast Help and Support Forums:

Comcast Hurricane Sandy page
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Customer-S···/1458371

Hurricane Outages!
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Billing/Hu···/1465009

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to camper

How is that saying Comcast's service is bad?

Since the storm, i've seen nothing but positive press and PR's from them regarding credits.

I'd say your "paraphrasing" sounds more like a 1-sided opinion.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to camper

This item on the FierceCable site discusses the disparities between the different cable companies:

Time Warner Cable breaks ranks from Cablevision, Comcast on Hurricane Sandy billing policy
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 9, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/time-w···12-11-09

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

How is that saying Comcast's service is bad?...

I've dealt with Comcast's one-on-one custmer service, it is anything but good.

Why do I have to call Comcast, wait for 20+minutes on hold , and then have to plead my case why I should get a credit? Comcast's statement does not even say what they will refund, or whether they will absorb the costs of damaged equipment. I have to waste my time on the phone to find out if Comcast evens considers my outage refundable.

Cablevision's message, on the other hand, it quite simple and broad-ranging. No haggling required.

I have two friends, each of whom has Cablevision, one here in Connecticut and the other over in New Jersey. Both have been full of praise for how Cablevision has handled the consequences of Sandy (~when did your service go out, and when did it return. OK, you'll be credited for n days. Is there anything else we can help you with?~).

I also know people who have tried to work with Comcast, and they universally have felt like they were put on the defensive by Comcast's customer service (~why do you think you should get a refund~).

The tone of the wording between the two companies, both in their statements and by their customer service people, speaks volumes.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

This item on the FierceCable site discusses the disparities between the different cable companies:...

Thanks for the link.

Yup, That article definitely shows Time-Warner to have the best approach.

I do disagree with the article putting Cablevision in the same bucket as Comcast, though.

Cablevision is quite specific in their statement about what they will do to help you, i.e., a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable... Customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost.

Comcast's statement, on the other hand, only offers to talk with you about your problem, i.e., We will handle customers on an individual basis. Meaning that you have to call Comcast, wait for an available customer service person, plead your case, and then face the likelihood that Comcast will tell you that your case does not warrant any manner of refund, or even that you owe Comcast for damaged equipment, as people found out after Hurricane Ike.

Ebolla

join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA

1 recommendation

case by case does NOT mean "plead your case and hope you get a refund" as you seem to think. It means credits will vary depending on the situation. My area was out for 4 hours, 1 town over 1/2 the town was out for 2 days the other 1/2 for 4 days and then you have people with down drops that couldnt get done until the area was fixed. So should everyone get a 4 hour credit, a 2 day credit? 4 day?

Credits are going to be based on the customers issue, not a blanket credit for whole area. Services could even be up in an area but the customer had a down powerline to home impacting them, the system wouldnt be aware of that.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to camper

In both cases you need to call to plead your case. SAME RESULT JUST WORDED DIFFERENT. At the end of the day both are giving credits for downtime as should be.

JoeHemi

join:2011-05-06
united state
reply to camper

Now if only when my washing machine breaks, I could get a credit for my inconvenience. What an unfair world we live in.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

at least you are not forced to rent your washing machine at a high price (and 3rd party ones are locked out) and when it breaks they don't try to bill the cost of a new one for one that is 3-5 years old.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

said by Joe12345678:

at least you are not forced to rent your washing machine at a high price (and 3rd party ones are locked out) and when it breaks they don't try to bill the cost of a new one for one that is 3-5 years old.

When it breaks, you get a replacement at no charge - one of the advantages of the rental model. When you break it, you have to pay for a new one.

You're not forced to do anything. You can purchase a Tivo and use it if you prefer. When your Tivo breaks and it's out of waranty, it's all on you to replace it.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

In both cases you need to call to plead your case. SAME RESULT JUST WORDED DIFFERENT. ...

Not really. Cablevision tells you up front what they will be refunding. And you do not need to plead your case, just call and tell them the outage times. No need to beg for coverage of lost or damaged equipment. "Handled on an individual basis" means that Comcast will try to get away with the least amount of refund for each person that calls.

How do you know what Comcast will be refunding, Comcast does not tell you in their statement.

Why can't Comcast put out a clear statement like Cablevision did? Why do you have to call Comcast to find out if they will cover equipment replacement for damaged equipment? (during Hurricane Ike, Comcast initially charged for subscriber equipment that was lost or damaged during the hurricane.)

Comcast has the reputation for being among the worst customer service in corporate America. I offer a way that Comcast can improve their customer service, and all I get is grief for trying to give some constructive criticism to Comcast.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

Both companies are giving refunds for what the customer says they were out for. In both cases the customer has to call in. ONE AND THE SAME. Maybe you needed to be one of the customers that like me had to actually make the call to see there was no pleading involved. OH yea pleading was your words not theirs. I WAS one of them and no pleading was involved. It was simply call and tell them how long you were out for and a credit issued. I really didnt lose service but lost electric and figured what the hell might as well get mine.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by rody_44:

Both companies are giving refunds for what the customer says they were out for. In both cases the customer has to call in. ONE AND THE SAME.

I agree you have to call in in both circumstances. But it is what you know before you call in that is different.

All I knew about Comcast's policy was that they would talk to me about my situation.

Cablevision's statement, on the other hand, says its customers can receive a credit for any "full or partial day during which they were unable to access Optimum services,"; according to a statement on its website.

"Customers who have experienced a loss of service should contact Cablevision within 30 days of service being restored and request a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable, including periods when there was no electricity to the home or business where the services are received," said the statement.

Cablevision's senior executive vice president, Kristin Dolan added: "Customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost."

And for the record, when I called in and Comcast talked with me individually about my refund request, they told me I would not get a refund for the time the power was out. Let me say that again, Comcast told me that they will not give me a refund for the time the power was out. That is the problem with "handling the customer individually", you really do not know what Comcast will do until you call.

Cablevision, on the other hand, explicitly tells you in their statement that they will give you a refund for the time the power was out.

That is the difference in the wording of which I speak.

Comcast has a history of mistreating its customers during diasaters. Just read this article: »metrocolumnistsblog.dallasnews.c···vic.html

It looked like Comcast backed down only when their behavior became a public relations mess for them.

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Portsmouth, RI
reply to camper

Up here in RI, Cox made no public statement or anything, just that cases would be handled on an "individual basis" Should have been automatic, I think. My internet and some TV went down for a day. They bank on most people not calling, and most probably do not. It was a principle thing for me, not a money thing(the actual credit was about $3.50). I certainly do not want to pay for something I cannot access.

The frustrating thing for me was that it continued to work just fine during the worst of the winds on Monday. They must have done something while doing restoration work on Tuesday afternoon because the modem went offline and spent nearly 24 hours hunting for the frequency/channels that serve the internet. However most TV channels and my DVR continued to work, they did something that cut off the higher up frequencies above 600mhz or something. I think my modem config said it used 675mhz.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to camper

This seems to conflict with what is being said here...

Cablevision sued for $250 million over Sandy outages

»newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.co···outages/

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Not really a conflict. The lawsuit says that if you don't call, you don't get the refund. That's no different than what Cablevision has stated publically.

On the other hand, Comcast said, after Cablevision had made their public statement, that Comcast would work with customers individually. It looked like Comcast timed their announcement so that it would seem that Comcast was offering the same "refund for the entire time of the power outage" that Cablevision was offering. Riding on the coattails of the goodwill that Cablevision's announcement had generated. It worked, most of the press bought it.

Unfortunately for Comcast customers, the reality of the statement appears when you call up Comcast, you are told that there is no refund for the time when the power was out. That part wasn't mentioned in Comcast's press announceents. Gee, I wonder why Comcast wouldn't want that to be part of the public announcement? Could Comcast be talking out of both sides of its mouth?

Comcast's statement of working with customers individually apparently means that a customer has to call up to find out that there's no refund for the power outage.

Just like during Hurricane Ike when Comcast sent a collection agency after those customers whose set-top boxes were damaged in the storm. "Working individually with the customers"

Customer Service, a la Comcast.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to camper

Well, it looks like some Cablevision customers aren't so happy either:
»Cablevision Sued for Not Giving Automatic Sandy Refunds Credits

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by telcodad:

Well, it looks like some Cablevision customers aren't so happy either:
»Cablevision Sued for Not Giving Automatic Sandy Refunds Credits

But cablevision certainly had a better PR statement!

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Cablevision is issuing the refunds for loss of service due to power outage, just not automatically. They even set up a link on their website so a Cablevision customer does not have to call in. Would it be better if they did the refund automatically? Of course.

Comcast on the other hand told me they are giving no refund for loss of service due to power outage. The only thing Comcast said publically was that customers would be handled on an individual basis. Comcast is apparently so ashamed of its policy that they won't even state it publically.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

So is comcast. I got it > Did you not are you just talking.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rody_44:

So is comcast. I got it > Did you not are you just talking.

No, I did not get a refund for the time the power was out. Comcast told me that they will not refund for the time the power was out.

I guess that is what happens when you "work with customers on a individual basis".

Which is my original point. Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did? Why are they ashamed to state publicly how they treat their customers?

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

1 recommendation

said by camper:

Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did?

They did state their policy: they take each case on an individual basis.

Now look at what Cablevision received for their efforts....spending money to fight a frivolous lawsuit.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Floppy:

said by camper:

Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did?

They did state their policy: they take each case on an individual basis.

One could say that means they have no public policy.

Ironically, when Comcast finally returned their service to my house, one of the first things I saw was one of Comcast's lame cable vs. satellite commercials. The commercial boasted how much better cable is because you don't lose cable service during a storm.

I have to wonder which bright spark at Comcast marketing thought that commercial was a good idea? If I had satellite TV, I would have been able to watch TV during and after the storm, several days when Comcast's cable service was not available.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by camper:

Ironically, when Comcast finally returned their service to my house, one of the first things I saw was one of Comcast's lame cable vs. satellite commercials. The commercial boasted how much better cable is because you don't lose cable service during a storm.

I have to wonder which bright spark at Comcast marketing thought that commercial was a good idea? If I had satellite TV, I would have been able to watch TV during and after the storm, several days when Comcast's cable service was not available.

That's assuming that the satellite dish did not get damaged, mispointed, or even blown off its mount by the strong winds that caused those power outages.

My Comcast service was out 2 more days longer than my power, but with my portable generator, I too thought that I could've had "cable" TV service during that time if I had a dish (that survived) too. However, that would not get back my HSI service [I finally picked up a 4G mobile hotspot to restore that ].

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to Floppy

said by Floppy:

Now look at what Cablevision received for their efforts....spending money to fight a frivolous lawsuit.

And here's the latest news on Cablevision - Post-Sandy:

Cablevision threatens to sue union over robocalls made to hurricane-ravaged customers about refunds
Company lawyers say robocall campaign about refunds is 'deceptive and illegal'

By Don Kaplan, New York Daily News - November 20, 2012
»www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen···.1204718

EDIT: Some more details in this FierceCable article:

Cablevision asks CWA to stop calling subscribers about Hurricane Sandy credits
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···12-11-20

Floppy

reply to camper

said by camper:

In some cases that statement is true. Don't think for a second during Sandy the high wind gusts wouldn't disrupt satellite service while cable generally still works barring a power outage/lines snapping from debris/trees.

However you also have extreme circumstances where a couple local facilities where shutdown due to flood waters in North Jersey and New York.

Personally in my case that commercial was true: sure during Sandy I lost power twice for a total of 14 hours however when the power was restored the cable still worked. I consider myself extremely fortunate because Sandy was no ordinary storm. My heart and prayers goes out to those who where less fortunate.

Floppy

reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by Floppy:

And here's the latest news on Cablevision - Post-Sandy:

Cablevision threatens to sue union over robocalls made to hurricane-ravaged customers about refunds
Company lawyers say robocall campaign about refunds is 'deceptive and illegal'

By Don Kaplan, New York Daily News - November 20, 2012
»www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen···.1204718

EDIT: Some more details in this FierceCable article:

Cablevision asks CWA to stop calling subscribers about Hurricane Sandy credits
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···12-11-20

Interesting. First the Unions hold Hostess hostage and in the process it backfires and over 18,000 people lose their jobs; now this. Just another case of an union abusing or succeeding their power.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

upper management killed hostess and they have lots of old plants that will cost a lot to update.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

That's assuming that the satellite dish did not get damaged, mispointed, or even blown off its mount by the strong winds that caused those power outages.

While I have seen some less than secure dish mounts, if I had mounted the dish on my house, it would not have been affected by the winds. At least with the dish, I have some control over the sturdiness of the service, and I am not subject to the whims of Comcast [mis]treating its customers on an individual basis.