share rss forum feed

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to camper

Re: A tale of two Cable Companies

So is comcast. I got it > Did you not are you just talking.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rody_44:

So is comcast. I got it > Did you not are you just talking.

No, I did not get a refund for the time the power was out. Comcast told me that they will not refund for the time the power was out.

I guess that is what happens when you "work with customers on a individual basis".

Which is my original point. Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did? Why are they ashamed to state publicly how they treat their customers?

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

1 recommendation

said by camper:

Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did?

They did state their policy: they take each case on an individual basis.

Now look at what Cablevision received for their efforts....spending money to fight a frivolous lawsuit.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Floppy:

said by camper:

Why can't Comcast come clean and publicly state what their policy is, like Cablevision did?

They did state their policy: they take each case on an individual basis.

One could say that means they have no public policy.

Ironically, when Comcast finally returned their service to my house, one of the first things I saw was one of Comcast's lame cable vs. satellite commercials. The commercial boasted how much better cable is because you don't lose cable service during a storm.

I have to wonder which bright spark at Comcast marketing thought that commercial was a good idea? If I had satellite TV, I would have been able to watch TV during and after the storm, several days when Comcast's cable service was not available.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

said by camper:

Ironically, when Comcast finally returned their service to my house, one of the first things I saw was one of Comcast's lame cable vs. satellite commercials. The commercial boasted how much better cable is because you don't lose cable service during a storm.

I have to wonder which bright spark at Comcast marketing thought that commercial was a good idea? If I had satellite TV, I would have been able to watch TV during and after the storm, several days when Comcast's cable service was not available.

That's assuming that the satellite dish did not get damaged, mispointed, or even blown off its mount by the strong winds that caused those power outages.

My Comcast service was out 2 more days longer than my power, but with my portable generator, I too thought that I could've had "cable" TV service during that time if I had a dish (that survived) too. However, that would not get back my HSI service [I finally picked up a 4G mobile hotspot to restore that ].

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to Floppy

said by Floppy:

Now look at what Cablevision received for their efforts....spending money to fight a frivolous lawsuit.

And here's the latest news on Cablevision - Post-Sandy:

Cablevision threatens to sue union over robocalls made to hurricane-ravaged customers about refunds
Company lawyers say robocall campaign about refunds is 'deceptive and illegal'

By Don Kaplan, New York Daily News - November 20, 2012
»www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen···.1204718

EDIT: Some more details in this FierceCable article:

Cablevision asks CWA to stop calling subscribers about Hurricane Sandy credits
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···12-11-20

Floppy

reply to camper

said by camper:

In some cases that statement is true. Don't think for a second during Sandy the high wind gusts wouldn't disrupt satellite service while cable generally still works barring a power outage/lines snapping from debris/trees.

However you also have extreme circumstances where a couple local facilities where shutdown due to flood waters in North Jersey and New York.

Personally in my case that commercial was true: sure during Sandy I lost power twice for a total of 14 hours however when the power was restored the cable still worked. I consider myself extremely fortunate because Sandy was no ordinary storm. My heart and prayers goes out to those who where less fortunate.

Floppy

reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by Floppy:

And here's the latest news on Cablevision - Post-Sandy:

Cablevision threatens to sue union over robocalls made to hurricane-ravaged customers about refunds
Company lawyers say robocall campaign about refunds is 'deceptive and illegal'

By Don Kaplan, New York Daily News - November 20, 2012
»www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen···.1204718

EDIT: Some more details in this FierceCable article:

Cablevision asks CWA to stop calling subscribers about Hurricane Sandy credits
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···12-11-20

Interesting. First the Unions hold Hostess hostage and in the process it backfires and over 18,000 people lose their jobs; now this. Just another case of an union abusing or succeeding their power.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

upper management killed hostess and they have lots of old plants that will cost a lot to update.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

That's assuming that the satellite dish did not get damaged, mispointed, or even blown off its mount by the strong winds that caused those power outages.

While I have seen some less than secure dish mounts, if I had mounted the dish on my house, it would not have been affected by the winds. At least with the dish, I have some control over the sturdiness of the service, and I am not subject to the whims of Comcast [mis]treating its customers on an individual basis.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by camper:

....and I am not subject to the whims of Comcast [mis]treating its customers on an individual basis.

... because satellite companies never do that, that behavior is limited to comcast... sounds like you have an easy choice to make.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Going back to my original post, I was comparing the transparency of Cablevisions public statement about what would be refunded due to Sandy compared to the coy nature of what Comcast's public statement was:

Cablevision's statement says its customers can receive a credit for any "full or partial day during which they were unable to access Optimum services,"; according to a statement on its website.

"Customers who have experienced a loss of service should contact Cablevision within 30 days of service being restored and request a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable, including periods when there was no electricity to the home or business where the services are received," said the statement.

Cablevision's senior executive vice president, Kristin Dolan added: "Customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost."

Comcast on the other hand coyly tells you that they will handle each customer on an individual basis. That allows Comcast to do two things: (1) look like they care about their customers without actually caring for their customers, and (2) hop on the coattails of the good press coverage obtained from transparency of the public statements of other cable companies.

While many people have tried to veer this thread off onto other unrelated topics, no one has been able to justify Comcast's continuing poor customer service.

That, in and of itself, speaks volumes.