george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

Best DVR options with laptop and cable TV

I recently had to move and went from a full package on DISH to a average package on cable. I have my laptop and external hard drive and wonder what the best way to set up a DVR system would be. The laptop does not have a tuner card so I don't know if I would be better off with an external tuner card (if available) or some other type of cable DVR system. Many of my shows I will have to get from other sources because the cable here does not offer many of my previous channels.
Any options and suggestions?
--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

You'll need something like a Silicon Dust HDHR Prime external digital tuner that takes a CableCARD.

»www.silicondust.com/products/hdh···n/prime/

It will work with Windows Media Center assuming you have Vista/W7 or bought/buy WMC for W8.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC
Reviews:
·Charter

Thanks for the info, darcilicious! I am currently looking at the model you recommended plus others like it. I may also see whats available for use without a computer/hdd maybe just a TIVO or something. You have preferences between computer based or TIVO style?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I went with a computer + Hauppauge external HD-PVR + SageTV (no longer available); requires a cable set-top box in the mix but all my recordings are DRM-free and I can record anything my set-top box has access to.

If you want something leaning more towards plug-n-play, you probably want TiVo.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC

Thanks for the info and quick replies, I will keep researching and see what I come up with.....I am sorta lost without my DISH DVR!

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to george357

When considering TIVO I may have an issue. The studio I am renting is basically a hotel room (extended stay) and has a coax coming out of the wall. Reading on the TIVO site says that I would need a cable card for this to work, is that the case with this kind of setup?