elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

BB10 launches Jan 30

RIM has announced they will be launching onJan 30, internationally.

The touchscreen as well as the touchscreen with the physical keyboard will launch that day.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yay?

*sn0re*

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Ditto.

Too little, too late.

Will very likely become a DOA product.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The touchscreen as well as the touchscreen with the physical keyboard will launch that day.

They came to their senses on that, hunh? The biggest thing BBs have going for them is the physical keyboard. Launching touchscreen-only was insane.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by elwoodblues:

They came to their senses on that, hunh? The biggest thing BBs have going for them is the physical keyboard. Launching touchscreen-only was insane.

The 'consumer' marketplace is gaga over touchscreen-only, and that's where the bulk of the switch-to was happening, ie. Berry dumping.

A lot of companies will now put any wholesale switching to Apple/Android devices on-hold now that there is a fixed release date relatively near in the future, pending hands-on assessment of BB10.
bt
canada

bt

said by MaynardKrebs:

The 'consumer' marketplace is gaga over touchscreen-only, and that's where the bulk of the switch-to was happening, ie. Berry dumping.

I agree that having a touchscreen-only model was something they absolutely needed to do, you need to keep the customers you still have happy as well. And there is definitely a noticeable segment of Blackberry users who are still Blackberry users for the physical keyboard.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

I prefer physical buttons I can actually feel. Virtual buttons simply drive me nuts!

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

RIM has announced they will be launching onJan 30, internationally.

Actually they are announcing when the units will be available retail on that day

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I prefer physical buttons I can actually feel. Virtual buttons simply drive me nuts!

There are a lot of people like that.

It's about "market share" though, not sales.

Over in the Mac forum they're talking about the Apple peak. Why? Because Samsung has the market now. Will be interesting if RIM can get back into it in a large way.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

said by milnoc:

There are a lot of people like that.

It's about "market share" though, not sales.

Over in the Mac forum they're talking about the Apple peak. Why? Because Samsung has the market now. Will be interesting if RIM can get back into it in a large way.

It shows the fickleness of the market. Apple is on the very virge of "no longer the cool kid on the block" status, possibly losing it to the Galaxy S3. The iPhone 5, while a little nicer screen and faster processor, is in almost all regards the same old iPhone as it was when the iPhone 4 came out 2 years ago, and not really all that different than a 3GS from 3 years ago. Same apps, a few added capabilities, same iOS (iOS6 doesn't look or operate really any different than iOS 4 did - just some new features and some broken maps).... all in all it's no longer a revolutionary device - it's just a very slowly evolutionary device.

The S3 added things like NFC, even bigger screen, available quad core processor in many markets, full Android store as well as ability to run 3rd party apps with no problem... that's "pretty cool" in comparison....

So - if the BB10 comes out with a few spiffy devices, with the keyboard and no keyboard options, a slick operating system, rock solid stability and excellent cellular reception, security, interoperability with Blackberry servers as well as exchange servers and normal ISP e-mail servers... the multi-profile "work" and "play" setup with your secure work apps and comms on one side, your games and social networks on the other... these could all very well appear to be the next "cool" device if they are ready to roll with good apps and a stable system.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Well, for sure the dual set-up for the BB10 will be good, it separate work from play. As far as I know, no other phone allows for two profiles.

Since it will do Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, they only need Where's my Water and Netflix to make everyone happy.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

The iPhone 5, while a little nicer screen and faster processor, is in almost all regards the same old iPhone as it was when the iPhone 4 came out 2 years ago, and not really all that different than a 3GS from 3 years ago. Same apps, a few added capabilities, same iOS (iOS6 doesn't look or operate really any different than iOS 4 did - just some new features and some broken maps).... all in all it's no longer a revolutionary device - it's just a very slowly evolutionary device.

This what I've been saying for a few years now, Apple needs to revamp the way iOS looks and works...

I mean come on, the look and feel is identical to the original iPhone of 5+ years ago! Yes, it works, but it's look and feel has stagnated badly, while Android always keeps evolving...

It's like Apple knowing they hit a home run with the iOS ease of use and the app eco system, and doesnt feel like it needs to hit another home run, instead they're just going for infield singles...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Don't worry, crApple just announced the 5S.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

It'll be difficult to squeeze out any new features out of that thing. The last two product updates were mediocre at best, and the Apple fanboys will be running out of money pretty soon.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Personally, I think they just pissed off their fan club. Keep milking it, dudes... what a joke.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Not to.mention the lightning connector with no 3rd party products on the shelf

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Not to.mention the lightning connector with no 3rd party products on the shelf

Yeah thats freakin terrible.. Sure it may be a better connector, but the secrecy and no cooperation with manufacturers ahead of time is another huge blunder...

Not to mention the gouging for the adapters & cables... They should be giving them for free!

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Yep, a very serious failure. And, a $30 adapter? More fleecing of the iSheep. I'm thankful I didn't fall into this lunacy when it (the original iPhone) came out.
bt
canada

bt to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

all in all it's no longer a revolutionary device - it's just a very slowly evolutionary device.

It was always an evolutionary device.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Don't worry, crApple just announced the 5S.

No they haven't, that's very much a rumour. Except in a few cases Apple doesn't pre-announce its products.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

We're a minority. It's all about big screens and useless apps.

I remember in the early 2000's, it was all about small phones. Funny how times change. Wonder what all the rage of the 20's will be...

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
I would tend to disagree. »finance.yahoo.com/blogs/ ··· 251.html

You heard it here first, people.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Maybe they've realized this once a year business isn't going to cut it anymore.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Maybe they've realized this once a year business isn't going to cut it anymore.

Especially that there are dozens of Android phones released during a calendar year, to woo people away from the iPhone...

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

It's in different flavours, as well. iPhone is the new vanilla.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
we just got a couple of iPhone5s (plural) a couple of weeks ago and we really like them...i'm not interesting in dual booting ubuntu or sideloading 4 flavours of Android...i want to make calls, email/text, browse the web and use some apps...the iPhone5 does all this very well...i'm not saying it is the best device out there (in terms of technical specs), but in terms of user experience, it is quite good.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

1 edit

Riamen to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I would tend to disagree. »finance.yahoo.com/blogs/ ··· 251.html

You heard it here first, people.

Yes I read that earlier too but Apple itself has announced nothing, you said they did. This is nothing more than a bad rumour at this point from a questionable source.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I'd venture to say this is one of those valid industry rumours that ifolks cling to as religious facts. Now, you seem to want to refute that.

So be it. I don't care, nor buy their products. Never will.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by bt:

said by elwoodblues:

A lot of companies will now put any wholesale switching to Apple/Android devices on-hold now that there is a fixed release date relatively near in the future, pending hands-on assessment of BB10.

A lot of companies have already evaluated and deployed iPhone/Android solutions and may never go back to Blackberry again.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
I hardly an Apple fanboy since I own Android and iOS devices and use Windows and OS X. It's just that the source Commercial Times has a very poor track record in Apple punditry.