Works for me, I bought under $9

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to elwoodblues
A bit of a side note heads are still rolling
Losses in cambridge ont and Irving texas
Maybe others. Merry Christmas, "it's a mere scratch" unless you are the one affected of course

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
RIM stock price increase = dead cat bounce.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues
5 minute video (in Vietnamese) of the BB10 L series.... what we see in the video is NOT an Alpha pr Beta device, it is final product

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···5Q_rcgX4
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Looks good, I can't wait to play with it in the store.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
Not a huge fan of the physical design: it maintains a lot of the bizarre phone-in-a-caddy motif the alpha devices had, but overall it's still a big improvement over RIM's previous attempts at designing a modern phone.

There was nothing particularly egregious about the interface, but we didn't really get much of a look at it to see how usable it actually is. Multitasking looks good, at least.

The specs make this particular phone outdated before it even launches, but the follow-up is supposed to have specs similar to the already available Nexus 4, which should help, if it comes out soon enough. Being permanently one generation of hardware behind certainly wouldn't help them break into the market.

For a first attempt, though, I'm not sure it will be all that popular. The launch hardware is a generation out of date, the OS has no software, and the existing customer base has shrunk pretty far. There's not really any compelling selling point. They really needed to be launching the BB Aristo in January, not the BB Laguna; at least then they would be starting from an equal footing to the competition on the hardware level.

EDIT: I should say that they're already avoiding a few of the idiot mistakes that Microsoft made with Windows Phone, so that's something in RIM's favour. The bizzare one-two punch of launch-multiple-terribly-outdated-single-core-devices followed up by render-all-early-adopter-phones-useless-by-incompatible-OS-update that Microsoft hit with was facepalm-worthy.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
The Specs on the L series are less than the Nexus true, but the QNX Kernel takes a whole lot less processer power than the Android OS (which is a resource Hog)

edit: as for no software, RIM is saying it will be launched with the most apps of any first Gen phone ever (I think I read 30k I may be wrong)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Phone looks great! I will probably have one shortly after launch!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues
Time will tell; WP8 has 125k apps, but their app store is a disaster. Developers are porting best selling games to WP8 only to pull in a few hundred bucks, far less than the cost of porting. It's probably true, though, that app count isn't that important today. Instead, there would be a bunch of tentpole apps you'd want to have. Netflix, twitter, skype, etc. BB10 is going to be lacking a few of these, and that will hurt them much more than lacking Barbie Horse Adventure 3 :P

I figure that once you've got most of those tentpole apps, the rest are not so important.

In terms of software performance, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Performance-intensive stuff is going to be native code on both platforms. Anything using non-native code on either platform is going to be slower. Besides that, any difference in kernel performance would be mitigated by the Nexus 4 having double the processing power, double the RAM, and double the GPU power...

EDIT: QNX is a microkernel, which traditionally have not performed as well as monolithic kernels like Linux. QNX claims to have solved many of the problems that cause poor performance in other microkernels like Mach, but remember that we've seen QNX shipping on previous Blackberry products, and it didn't prove to be any faster than comparable Android hardware. The opposite was true, in fact.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
QNX hasn't shipped on any previous "Blackberry" product. It shipped on the Playbook, that's it.

For what it's worth, the Playbook works real well and multitasks in a way that Android and iOS could only dream of, it just has shit for app selection.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
In all fairness, that may be because of what the Dev's want for permissions.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I don't like the OS.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
said by Last Parade:

I don't like the OS.

Lack of a home or back button on the Playbook still throws me off.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues
»www.thegadgetmasters.com/2012/12···e=121812

Forget the iphone vs BB10 article (read it if you want)... but make sure you watch the 5 minute video of the BB10 in action (a Dev Alpha unit not final product) the OS looks smooth and slick
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Looks good, I can't wait to play with it in the store.

OMG!!!!
It's a rectangle with rounded corners!!!
WTF were they thinking??!!???

Apple will sue them into oblivion.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
It also centered the display on the front of the phone, and it's clear on the surface and flat... well damn. Apple will definitely start suing.

They should've known better. Sticking a bumpy display on the side or the back of the phone that's not clear is the way to go.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
cool new video at this link of the bb10 in action (different language but with subtitles)

also at the end of the article they say that the US pricing on a 2 year term will be $149 (no Canadian pricing yet)

»mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/21/new-b···sistant/
--

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

I don't like the OS.

Lack of a home or back button on the Playbook still throws me off.

I really like the playbook interface, I think I like it more than I like Apples.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
Apple's interface is still a lot more consistent and intuitive than the competition in many respects, but it's feeling increasingly outdated as time goes on. I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like, you get more consistency and things are more obvious, but they're missing a lot of the more modern UI touches that enhance a modern UI.

I would imagine Apple has something in the works to overhaul it, but who knows how long that will take. Word is that iOS 7 will refresh the UI in many respects, but the changes won't be all that dramatic. They're supposedly getting rid of most of the skeumorphism, so that's something.

The biggest problem is that they're giving the competition more time. I still don't think RIM is ever going to recapture much of their former glory, but if Apple screws up badly enough, RIM could take advantage of the opening.

Windows Phone, though, that's never going anywhere
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
said by Guspaz:

Windows Phone, though, that's never going anywhere

"Windows Phone, I'd like to introduce you to Clippy & Microsoft Bob."

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

cool new video at this link of the bb10 in action (different language but with subtitles)

also at the end of the article they say that the US pricing on a 2 year term will be $149 (no Canadian pricing yet)

»mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/21/new-b···sistant/

That video made me want a Blackberry again.

Sure seems like a winner.

I have to wonder though, if the new BB 10 OS is going to compress data as much as the current BB's do.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by shaner:

I have to wonder though, if the new BB 10 OS is going to compress data as much as the current BB's do.

I would expect as much since the phone is communicating the same data as before, you're just changing the interface. The only recent addition that I've seen is in regards to voice chats and voice notes.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
I remember when HTML email came to BB and everyone was all like "That's gonna be soooo much data!" And then nothing happened. But, I just have to wonder if the complete overhaul will be sending packets more often like an iPhone.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
For enterprise communications I wonder the same, since new BES phones are connecting to ActiveSync rather than BES.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
The ActiveSync protocol does allow for compression. Current iPhones and Android phones with Ice Cream Sandwich or later support it.

RIM was able to get good compression with their phones because all data to and from current Blackberries goes through their NOC. Problem with that system is it's a single point of failure as evidenced by recent outages affecting millions of Blackberry users all at once.

It's interesting that Blackberry 10 will use ActiveSync and not BES, I guess Microsoft won that battle.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to elwoodblues
My contract is up in April, so I've got lots of time to decide what my next shiny phone will be.

Like everything else, it's about the Apps, lousy apps, the phone will fail. My BiL works for RIM so I'm sure i can get one dirt cheap.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Today is the day. Let's see if they have any cards hidden up their sleeves.
--
Tom

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Oh yea! I have to play with this for a bit in the store. Well, me and a hundred others.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

My contract is up in April, so I've got lots of time to decide what my next shiny phone will be.

Like everything else, it's about the Apps, lousy apps, the phone will fail. My BiL works for RIM so I'm sure i can get one dirt cheap.

My contract is up in June... I will probably get one before then (from a friend that works at RIM ... Usually their cost is about 1/2 of retail but with this device, they may give some incentives to get as many out there as soon as they can)
--

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
BB10 release will be webcast here

»www1.rim.com/newsroom.html