join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to milnoc

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by milnoc:

I prefer physical buttons I can actually feel. Virtual buttons simply drive me nuts!

We're a minority. It's all about big screens and useless apps.

I remember in the early 2000's, it was all about small phones. Funny how times change. Wonder what all the rage of the 20's will be...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Riamen

I would tend to disagree. »finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti···251.html

You heard it here first, people.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

Maybe they've realized this once a year business isn't going to cut it anymore.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by elwoodblues:

Maybe they've realized this once a year business isn't going to cut it anymore.

Especially that there are dozens of Android phones released during a calendar year, to woo people away from the iPhone...

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

It's in different flavours, as well. iPhone is the new vanilla.
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

we just got a couple of iPhone5s (plural) a couple of weeks ago and we really like them...i'm not interesting in dual booting ubuntu or sideloading 4 flavours of Android...i want to make calls, email/text, browse the web and use some apps...the iPhone5 does all this very well...i'm not saying it is the best device out there (in terms of technical specs), but in terms of user experience, it is quite good.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 edit
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

I would tend to disagree. »finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti···251.html

You heard it here first, people.

Yes I read that earlier too but Apple itself has announced nothing, you said they did. This is nothing more than a bad rumour at this point from a questionable source.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I'd venture to say this is one of those valid industry rumours that ifolks cling to as religious facts. Now, you seem to want to refute that.

So be it. I don't care, nor buy their products. Never will.
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by bt:

said by elwoodblues:

The touchscreen as well as the touchscreen with the physical keyboard will launch that day.

They came to their senses on that, hunh? The biggest thing BBs have going for them is the physical keyboard. Launching touchscreen-only was insane.

A lot of companies will now put any wholesale switching to Apple/Android devices on-hold now that there is a fixed release date relatively near in the future, pending hands-on assessment of BB10.

A lot of companies have already evaluated and deployed iPhone/Android solutions and may never go back to Blackberry again.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary
reply to Juggernaut

I hardly an Apple fanboy since I own Android and iOS devices and use Windows and OS X. It's just that the source Commercial Times has a very poor track record in Apple punditry.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Good for you, and I say that truthfully.

There are so many better devices than what Apple puts out. The new BB10 touchscreen is one I have in mind to add to my collection.
--

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Riamen

Well, this is not a rumour. Apple decided to violate the spirit of a court-ordered apology to Samsung, and the presiding judge was plenty pissed off.

quote:
the UK courts ordered Apple to pay Samsung's incidental costs, not just the legal fees. This includes costs the court would not typically award such as cups of coffee, taxi fares and the like; basically, every penny the lawyers spent on the proceeding.
»arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/ap···tegrity/
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary

1 edit
reply to Juggernaut

Well I'm probably on my last Apple phone. I'm going to wait until my contract expires next year and then I look into something new. But you'll have to pry my MacBook Pro from my cold dead hands.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

Well, this is not a rumour. Apple decided to violate the spirit of a court-ordered apology to Samsung, and the presiding judge was plenty pissed off.

Yep read that too. I'm not a fan of Apple's litigious nature.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Riamen

I just buy my devices outright. No contracts required. I like it.
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

A lot of companies have already evaluated and deployed iPhone/Android solutions and may never go back to Blackberry again.

I dunno.
I've heard that once you go Black.....

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

The new BB has been certified for Gov use as well.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues

Too little too late.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

No, not really.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Phorkster

People say too little, too late.

This is a company with 80 million users (the number grew, even though we knew OS7 would be obsolete in months). That's still a decent sized user base.

Android is doing alright, but still not trusted for business. Apple is getting complacent and milking an OS designed in the middle of the last decade as we approach the middle of this one. iOS is not inspriational, 3D maps are cool and all, but...

BB10 is a new way of doing things. Peek and Flow are going to change people's expectations on how a mobile device should work. I'm very hopeful and the only time it is too little, too late is when you run out of money and have to close shop. RIM is not there yet, and I'm quite sure that they will do quite well with BB10.

I'm waiting for the M-series (Torch), but might consider the N-series.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues

Okay, now this might be a game changer: "RIM this week unveiled a new beta version of its popular BlackBerry Messenger service that adds an exciting new feature: Free voice calling"

»bgr.com/2012/11/14/bbm-7-beta-download/

Not a new concept but it's never been something that's smoothly worked over a phone with traditional methods. Integrating wifi calling into BBM might be awesome... might be...

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

World-wide calling over wifi, ala Skype for free? I'd say that changes the game.
--

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to elwoodblues

Well BB10 BBM will have Video Chat + Some screen sharing thing, where one person can share their phone screen with the other person, show them whatever they want.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

World-wide calling over wifi, ala Skype for free? I'd say that changes the game.

i'm no expert, but isn't FaceTime the same thing, with video included?

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

Yeah, but facetime only works between two iPhones. This should allow people to make calls over wifi to any phone.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

said by shaner:

Yeah, but facetime only works between two iPhones. This should allow people to make calls over wifi to any phone.

Don't think so, BBM to BBM only. Sounds like you both need Wi-Fi at the time as well.

voice calling feature that will allow BBM users to speak to each other for free when connected to Wi-Fi networks

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

Rumour has it the Playbook will be $118 next week again, am serously considering getting one at that price, if only to test BB10 when it comes out before I make a decision on a new phone whether I go BB10 or Android.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
reply to pnjunction

Platform-specific communication is just silly. Especially when you aren't even the market leader.

Services like Skype blow this away.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
reply to kingb71

I think Playbook will take a bit of time before getting BB10. They've made some big changes recently already, and will probably be a lot more focused on the cellphones for a while before getting to port BB10 to the tablets.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

said by ekster:

I think Playbook will take a bit of time before getting BB10. They've made some big changes recently already, and will probably be a lot more focused on the cellphones for a while before getting to port BB10 to the tablets.

maybe

But IIRC there are some people running the BB10 Alpha software on their playbooks already (believe I saw it at crackberry.com)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson