Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to mlerner

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by mlerner:

iPhone 5 sales are still on ramp up with new markets adding sales. The only thing that went down slightly was the profit margin and that was including the lower priced iOS devices which was why the margin went down.

Ramp up? You mean significantly reducing orders for iPhone 5 components last month due to reduced demand?

Is that what Apple is calling "ramp up" these days?

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

said by Gone:

Ramp up? You mean significantly reducing orders for iPhone 5 components last month due to reduced demand?

Gotta love supply chain rumours and speculation. Forty-eight million iPhones sold (not shipped) in the last quarter. Nosediving my ass.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by mlerner:

iPhone 5 sales are still on ramp up with new markets adding sales. The only thing that went down slightly was the profit margin and that was including the lower priced iOS devices which was why the margin went down.

Could it be perhaps they already had a large number of component orders fulfilled last quarter? Seems to me you just read the headlines and have no idea how these companies work. See what Riamen said, check the Apple quarterly report and then tell me that.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to Riamen

said by Riamen:

Gotta love supply chain rumours and speculation. Forty-eight million iPhones sold (not shipped) in the last quarter. Nosediving my ass.

Steve Jobs from the grave spreads the gospel through his devoted disciples!

You're counting it wrong!

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by Gone:

said by mlerner:

Could it be perhaps they already had a large number of component orders fulfilled last quarter? Seems to me you just read the headlines and have no idea how these companies work. See what Riamen said, check the Apple quarterly report and then tell me that.

I'd recommend you have a look at the latest Verizon report. Half of their 6.2 million iPhone sales were iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S sales.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to CanadianRip

Numbers don't lie. The 48m might not be all iPhone 5 but it pushed them to #1 in the US (»www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2013···-in-u-s/) and produced 2 million pre-orders in China (»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57559···weekend/).

To me that tells me iPhone 5 demand is strong.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

No, I know exactly how this works. You order your components based on projected manufacturing based on sales forecasts. If your sales forecasts aren't meeting your own expectations - no matter how "good" they otherwise might be - you reduce production which means that you also reduce component purchases rather than be stuck with a glut of unserviceable inventory on your balance sheet. If this is indeed true, it means that sales projections have been lower for a longer period of time than just the last quarter. As for the end result of something like this happening in January, we can discuss this further when the next quarterly report is released. Their sales might be strong, but they aren't nearly as strong as Apple themselves expected. In other words - they screwed up.

And really, the writing was on the wall the day Lord Jobs was laid to rest. Tim Cook might be a smarter guy than John Sculley when it comes to running Apple, but no one commands control of the marketing gears (and in turn, the reality distortion field) the same way that Jobs did. It's starting to show. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge this is themselves living in that same reality distortion field.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary

said by Gone:

No, I know exactly how this works.

Yes but you're going on the assumption that the supply chain rumours are true. Apple is very secretive so it's not easy to know what's really going on. Still the numbers were huge last quarter, record sales of iDevices and Apple in 2012 was the most profitable company in history. Too bad Samsung doesn't release their unit sales, it'd be interesting to compare.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Here are some of the numbers: »www.onbile.com/info/samsung-statistics/

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Riamen

said by Riamen:

Yes but you're going on the assumption that the supply chain rumours are true. Apple is very secretive so it's not easy to know what's really going on.

Apple themselves might be secretive, but their suppliers aren't. People knew that the 7" iPad Mini was going to happen long before Apple even acknowledged its existence based on LCD orders to Samsung (or was it LG? Either way, you get the point). Based on this, I'm not so naive (nor living in the above-noted reality distortion field) as to outright dismiss numerous reports of what's going on up the supply chain just because Apple hasn't said anything about them. Operating on the assumption that Apple will forever be a darling and refusing to accept the potential for anything otherwise just because of their current (or, perhaps, "past") success is both foolish and delusional.

As for Samsung sales figures, they're easily obtainable. Try harder.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary

said by Gone:

I'm not so naive (nor living in the above-noted reality distortion field) as to outright dismiss numerous reports of what's going on up the supply chain just because Apple hasn't said anything about them.

And I'm not so naive as to believe them either. There may be some truth to the reports but I take all such things with a grain of salt. They've been wrong so many times in the past.

said by Gone:

As for Samsung sales figures, they're easily obtainable.

Samsung doesn't release unit sales with their quarterly reports, just total dollar sales. All I could find were outdated documents released during the Samsung v Apple trial and numbers (ie guesses) released by industry "experts".

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Riamen:

And I'm not so naive as to believe them either. There may be some truth to the reports but I take all such things with a grain of salt. They've been wrong so many times in the past.

People have been going on about unrealized iPhone 5 demand for a while now, so these reports about the supply chain aren't exactly out of left field.

If one smells smoke, there's probably a fire burning.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to Riamen

Look up 2 posts. I posted the link to the figures.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary

said by Juggernaut:

Look up 2 posts. I posted the link to the figures.

They're not from Samsung.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Tim Cook is on record denying the supply chain rumours.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Guspaz:

Tim Cook is on record denying the supply chain rumours.

He did and he didn't. He went on about how complex the supply chain is, how something like this wouldn't reflect on the company as a whole and questioned the accuracy of the reports, but then went with the usual "no comment" line and didn't outright come out and say they were completely unsubstantiated and untrue.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

The iPhone 5 also sold 5 million in 3 days which to my knowledge is the single biggest phone launch in history. I highly doubt the BB10 phone will sell that much in 3 months.

Even if it doesn't sell that much, there's a lot riding on this launch. Blackberry cannot afford any glitches at all like stock shortages. Apple fans will put up with that. I doubt the general public would be so forgiving if Z10's were on limited supply. The conversation would go like this, "Oh...you don't have any of those new Blackberry's left? God, can't they do anything right? I'll take a Galaxy SIII instead."
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Interesting read

»bgr.com/2013/02/04/blackberry-10···ium=home

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

50% of Canadian pre-orders coming from non Blackberry users
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues

It's hard to tell how relevant that is; a better question is of that 50%, how many are former BlackBerry customers? It does bode well for BB, though, that (if my supposition is correct) they're pulling back some former users, which could help them recapture some of their lost marketshare.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by Guspaz:

It's hard to tell how relevant that is; a better question is of that 50%, how many are former BlackBerry customers? It does bode well for BB, though, that (if my supposition is correct) they're pulling back some former users, which could help them recapture some of their lost marketshare.

I do not think that BB has any dreams of being #1 or # 2 ... I think if they are a solid #3 the company will do well

They lost market share by not releasing a new device for over a year as well.
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues

They've been in third place ever since Symbian dropped below them in mid 2012.

Now THERE is a disaster story. Symbian's marketshare was once high like Android, in the high 60s. Now it's below WinPhone, and trending to drop to zero in a few months.

For all their dominance, Apple never went higher than 25% or so in late 2011.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by Guspaz:

They've been in third place ever since Symbian dropped below them in mid 2012.

Now THERE is a disaster story. Symbian's marketshare was once high like Android, in the high 60s. Now it's below WinPhone, and trending to drop to zero in a few months.

For all their dominance, Apple never went higher than 25% or so in late 2011.

I know they have been 3rd.. but they need to improve on their percentage of users, even if they remain in 3rd it is not a bad thing.
--

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

Called my local Telus store (in Whitby) because I was just told that Telus was willing to waive up to 6 months of my contract instead of 4 like normal (I have 4 months and 25 days left).

They have a line up outside the door and are unlikely to have any units left in stock this evening when I come in (and they will not place an order for you).. that is in Whitby (100k) .. so if a smaller center is selling out, that is good news for Blackberry (the larger centers will have more people and sell theirs out easier I asssume).

The reason I want to buy in store, is because if you bring an old phone in, they will give you a $50 in store credit
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Guspaz

I was going to mention the 50% thing, since this was not expected. I think expectations were 10-20%. This means for them, anyway, higher subscriptions, and if that's the case, are they able to handle the increase server use?

As bad as it was releasing it later in the US, it might not have been a bad decision. Although BB is pointing the finger at US carrier, so maybe it wasn't thought out.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

I checked my local Rogers store this afternoon and they were all sold out. I'm going to probably pick one up to play with for a bit before selling it.
--
Tom

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by TLS2000:

I checked my local Rogers store this afternoon and they were all sold out. I'm going to probably pick one up to play with for a bit before selling it.

How ya going to pick one up if they're all sold out? You a magician or something?

Personally, I'm waiting for the other models to come out before making a decision this way or that.

It is nice, though, to see them selling out.

Incredibly fickle market though, no loyalty whatsoever. Though you have to wonder why MS can't make a sent.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to elwoodblues

Item condition:
New
Ended:
Feb 02, 2013 18:44:21 PST
Winning bid:
US $1,825.00
[ 16 bids ]

BlackBerry Z10 Smartphones Sell For Thousands On eBay

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02/04···business

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Gone

No, Apple will never sell 630m phones in one quarter.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 recommendation

reply to BigSensFan

So my Telus store did not have any more in stock. They put me on a waiting list (more probably in later this week).

The an hour later they called back and said because I had to wait for the device, they were giving me another $50 store credit
--