share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

that's because you get everything for next to nothing as it is.

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Kitlope:

And with today's phone upgrade, I'm continuing to support Canadian.

is that phone made in Canada?

i know in the past, all devices were, but over the years, many of the models were shifted offshore.

Just took the back cover off and it says Made in Mexico. Well, at least it's on the same continent

Regardless, you know what I mean, with RIM... errr, Blackberry being Canadian and all.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

yea, Mexico is where most of the handsets were made...i think there was one or two models made here, and maybe a one or two made in Malaysia (or something like that), but a vast majority were made in Mexico...being part of NAFTA means they can get it made down there for a lot less than paying Canadians to make it.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Fido has that exact plan as a regular plan rather than a retention deal. In fact, a few months ago it was $57 for all that and 2GB of data, but that was a limited time offer.

And, it offers unlimited US and International text, as well as a few other freebies.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

that's because you get everything for next to nothing as it is.

And your point is?
Just because you might take the first offer that comes along, doesn't mean I should.

I have a sweet deal and I know it, and they know it, I am pretty sure I didn't even cover the cost of my 3GS.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

my plan is a pretty good deal...it is much better than "market offers".

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab
reply to Juggernaut

Good to know however there's no way in hell I'll ever go with Fido, at least here in Alberta since I believe they only cover the urban areas (Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer, perhaps FT Mac now and Grande Prairie) and during busy season I'm all over the province and sometimes Sask & BC.

Now that I have unlimited talk, most specifically during business hours I may even get rid of my landline as that will save me another $25.00/month. I only had the landline because back in the day you needed one for a Telus dsl connection, I never minded this as landlines were still very common 10 years ago and it made "fiscal" sense because many cell phone plans back then charged by the minute, especially during business hours. That's what I had until today - 30 cents/min during business hours, weekends & evenings free and free unlimited long distance in BC & Alberta. A very popular plan at the time for us because we do most of our work out of town. But things have changed and that sweet deal obviously isn't so sweet anymore, so I'm really glad I'm off of it and have been thinking of that the last couple years but was locked into the contract.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Even on a term, Telus allows you to change plans, so there was never a worry about that.

Regardless, you now have a plan more suited to your uses. Like you, I work up north starting usually in March, and it's nice not to worry about my usage local, or LD.

BTW, I haven't had a LL for years now, and don't miss it a bit.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Kitlope

said by Kitlope:

Good to know however there's no way in hell I'll ever go with Fido, at least here in Alberta since I believe they only cover the urban areas (Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer, perhaps FT Mac now and Grande Prairie) and during busy season I'm all over the province and sometimes Sask & BC.

Fido, being a brand of Rogers, uses the Rogers network, and as such has identical coverage.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Kitlope:

i know in the past, all devices were, but over the years, many of the models were shifted offshore.

Well, they do have about 9,000 working in Canada. Though I did hear through the vine that some phones made in Mexico (typical) and Canada. Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

That said, no idea where the Z10 is made, somehow here, who has one, can tell us. Pull the battery off, and look for the "Made in *****" stamp.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

said by J E F F:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Kitlope:

Well, they do have about 9,000 working in Canada. Though I did hear through the vine that some phones made in Mexico (typical) and Canada. Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

That said, no idea where the Z10 is made, somehow here, who has one, can tell us. Pull the battery off, and look for the "Made in *****" stamp.

Look at my post above, it's made in Mexico.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

meh...exploiting Mexican workers is really no different than exploiting Chinese workers...Made in Mexico is really no different than Made in China...actually, in the case of something like this, which is likely 98% made by a machine, even if it was "Made in Canada", it would likely be assembled my machines from all over the world (largely Europe).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

There's a bit more to that than just labour. Think chip security, and knocking off the product as well.

The Chinese are well known for it. "Give them one, and they'll make a million".
--

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to elwoodblues

So how many ostensibly BB supporters who've posted here plan to get a BB10 phone?

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

said by digitalfutur:

So how many ostensibly BB supporters who've posted here plan to get a BB10 phone?

I am .. I am on the waiting list at my local Telus store
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to digitalfutur

Will get my Nexus 4 next week, but I'll get a Z10 by April. I want it, but I have to have a modicum of discipline.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

I'll be getting the Q10 when it's released only if I can get a deal on it through my provider, rather than the MSRP. I'd never pay more than $300 on a mobile phone regardless of the manufacturer.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

There's a bit more to that than just labour. Think chip security, and knocking off the product as well.

i don't disagree with you, but if you don't think they won't buy one (or 50) and ship them to China to reverse engineer it, you're being silly.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

You were talking about manufacturing scenarios, remember?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

It's not just that. Reverse engineering a complete devices is more complicated than reverse engineering a device that you've been given the complete specifications for, including the processor.
--
Tom

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Were you replying to DJ, or me?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Both
--
Tom

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Well, that's why I made the point that China wouldn't be an option. Give them the specs, and it's copied faster than light. And, the encryption etc. Some are not legally able to be exported by law.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Kitlope

said by Kitlope:

Look at my post above, it's made in Mexico.

So it's still supporting the NA economy...directly. If more US companies were to choose Mexico, damn, the US would not be having the issues they're having now.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

BINGO!

Yeah, that's another thing. Mexico isn't well known for that type of security breach. I mean, what guarantee do we have with the Chinese?! Only risk with Mexico is that you might have traces of the white powder...true story, by the way.
--

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

1 recommendation

reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

I will be once my finances adjust to a new vehicle payment. I dont want to end up like this

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···nch.html

from this article

While there weren't the long lineups typical of an Apple launch, both Rogers and Bell reported strong demand for the phone, with 50 per cent of pre-orders coming from non-BlackBerry users, according to independent technology analyst Chris Umiastowski.

"We're hearing that pre-order sales have exceeded iPhone sales for the last three months," Umiastowski told CBC News.
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to elwoodblues

I'm actually tempted to get it. But wondering if I should wait to see what other phones they'll release this year though. I still have some time as my contract ends in April before Fido starts spamming me with offers.

Also need to find a decent plan offer... Got too used to my $25 plan so it's going to be hard to accept anything more than $35 a month. :\

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Umiastowski is a BlackBerry fanboy. He is a regular writer on Crackberry.com. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just saying he drinks the Kool-aid.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I said to hell with it and "reserved" one last night. I was 2683 in the queue. I looked today and now I'm in the 2800's. Awesome job Rogers.
--
Tom