--
Tom

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Well, that's why I made the point that China wouldn't be an option. Give them the specs, and it's copied faster than light. And, the encryption etc. Some are not legally able to be exported by law.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Kitlope

said by Kitlope:

Look at my post above, it's made in Mexico.

So it's still supporting the NA economy...directly. If more US companies were to choose Mexico, damn, the US would not be having the issues they're having now.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

There's a bit more to that than just labour. Think chip security, and knocking off the product as well.

The Chinese are well known for it. "Give them one, and they'll make a million".

BINGO!

Yeah, that's another thing. Mexico isn't well known for that type of security breach. I mean, what guarantee do we have with the Chinese?! Only risk with Mexico is that you might have traces of the white powder...true story, by the way.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

1 recommendation

reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

So how many ostensibly BB supporters who've posted here plan to get a BB10 phone?

I will be once my finances adjust to a new vehicle payment. I dont want to end up like this

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···nch.html

from this article

While there weren't the long lineups typical of an Apple launch, both Rogers and Bell reported strong demand for the phone, with 50 per cent of pre-orders coming from non-BlackBerry users, according to independent technology analyst Chris Umiastowski.

"We're hearing that pre-order sales have exceeded iPhone sales for the last three months," Umiastowski told CBC News.
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to elwoodblues

I'm actually tempted to get it. But wondering if I should wait to see what other phones they'll release this year though. I still have some time as my contract ends in April before Fido starts spamming me with offers.

Also need to find a decent plan offer... Got too used to my $25 plan so it's going to be hard to accept anything more than $35 a month. :\

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Umiastowski is a BlackBerry fanboy. He is a regular writer on Crackberry.com. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just saying he drinks the Kool-aid.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I said to hell with it and "reserved" one last night. I was 2683 in the queue. I looked today and now I'm in the 2800's. Awesome job Rogers.
--
Tom

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Robrr

I love Bill Cosby, that's something he'd say to the boyz in the hood.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

"We're hearing that pre-order sales have exceeded iPhone sales for the last three months," Umiastowski told CBC News.

I'm not trying to put down RIM but just where the hell do they "hear" that? We can only know for sure when RIM posts their quarterly report.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

I said to hell with it and "reserved" one last night. I was 2683 in the queue. I looked today and now I'm in the 2800's. Awesome job Rogers.

In all of Rogers I hope, and not your local store

I am #3 at my local store
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by BigSensFan:

I'm not trying to put down RIM but just where the hell do they "hear" that? We can only know for sure when RIM posts their quarterly report.

insiders in the carriers? No idea really, just guessing.... it holds as much weight as the people saying none have sold
--

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Umiastowski is a BlackBerry fanboy. He is a regular writer on Crackberry.com. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just saying he drinks the Kool-aid.

I knew noting about him before reading the article ..
Koolaid is good, I hear they have a new Blackberry flavour that is much better than the Apple flavour
--

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

Just got a call.. by Blackberry is waiting for pickup at the Store

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Well, that's why I made the point that China wouldn't be an option. Give them the specs, and it's copied faster than light. And, the encryption etc. Some are not legally able to be exported by law.

and you're assuming they don't already have it...if they wanted it, they would have it...they have their ways (and have been caught numerous times already in various industries).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by Kitlope:

Look at my post above, it's made in Mexico.

So it's still supporting the NA economy...directly. If more US companies were to choose Mexico, damn, the US would not be having the issues they're having now.

ummm, no...closing plants in the US, and putting those people out of work, does not help the US economy...a lot of manufacturing had moved to Mexico going back 10-15 years...a lot of it is still there, but a lot of it is moving back to the US over the past 5 years...that is part of why there is a bit of a recovery down there.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

So how many ostensibly BB supporters who've posted here plan to get a BB10 phone?

I've already got a Torch 9800 (personal) and a Bold 9780 (work). As soon as the Q10 comes out I'll be upgrading my work device.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

said by TLS2000:

Ya with their online device reservation system. I'm stymied as to how my place in line got moved in the wrong direction in 8 hours, but at least this way I won't have to search for one. I'll check with my local Rogers store later in the week still, but otherwise I'll just let Rogers sort it out for me.
--
Tom

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by TLS2000:

said by BigSensFan:

said by TLS2000:

Ya with their online device reservation system. I'm stymied as to how my place in line got moved in the wrong direction in 8 hours, but at least this way I won't have to search for one. I'll check with my local Rogers store later in the week still, but otherwise I'll just let Rogers sort it out for me.

maybe they did not get enough for all the pre-orders yesterday, and those people were added to the list ahead of you ?
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by BigSensFan:

maybe they did not get enough for all the pre-orders yesterday, and those people were added to the list ahead of you ?

The list takes that into account. Preorders were all supposed to be done on the website. What's more than likely happening is VIP customers are being put at the top of the list.
--
Tom

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by BigSensFan:

That info was from a CIBC research note. I linked this previously but I'll link it again »bgr.com/2013/02/04/blackberry-10···-315659/

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

»www.valuewalk.com/2013/02/resear···xpected/

Sales better than expected

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

That... is a very broken website. None of the images, or apparently the CSS load. The server returns 400 bad request for all of them.

I'll caution that sales results for Canada won't necessarily reflect those of the US; RIM's marketshare has always been much higher in the Canadian market than the US, but in relative terms, the Canadian market is rather unimportant.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Relative to market share, yes, but if they can stay alive based on the Canadian and British markets long enough to make improvements in developer support and fix the little glitches in the OS, they could conceivably make a comeback.

There's a lot of ifs there though.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

That... is a very broken website. None of the images, or apparently the CSS load. The server returns 400 bad request for all of them.

Works fine here, and I'm not using IE either.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

Works fine here, and I'm not using IE either.

Not sure what site he's referring to but both links on this page of the thread all load fine for me, both Chrome and IE.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to elwoodblues

Probably our proxy then.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada

said by Guspaz:

Probably our proxy then.

I'm going through squid here. Lots of adblocking too.