Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

Okay, now this might be a game changer: "RIM this week unveiled a new beta version of its popular BlackBerry Messenger service that adds an exciting new feature: Free voice calling"

»bgr.com/2012/11/14/bbm-7-beta-do ··· ownload/

Not a new concept but it's never been something that's smoothly worked over a phone with traditional methods. Integrating wifi calling into BBM might be awesome... might be...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
World-wide calling over wifi, ala Skype for free? I'd say that changes the game.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to elwoodblues
Well BB10 BBM will have Video Chat + Some screen sharing thing, where one person can share their phone screen with the other person, show them whatever they want.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

World-wide calling over wifi, ala Skype for free? I'd say that changes the game.

i'm no expert, but isn't FaceTime the same thing, with video included?

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Yeah, but facetime only works between two iPhones. This should allow people to make calls over wifi to any phone.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
said by shaner:

Yeah, but facetime only works between two iPhones. This should allow people to make calls over wifi to any phone.

Don't think so, BBM to BBM only. Sounds like you both need Wi-Fi at the time as well.

voice calling feature that will allow BBM users to speak to each other for free when connected to Wi-Fi networks

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
Rumour has it the Playbook will be $118 next week again, am serously considering getting one at that price, if only to test BB10 when it comes out before I make a decision on a new phone whether I go BB10 or Android.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
reply to pnjunction
Platform-specific communication is just silly. Especially when you aren't even the market leader.

Services like Skype blow this away.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
reply to kingb71
I think Playbook will take a bit of time before getting BB10. They've made some big changes recently already, and will probably be a lot more focused on the cellphones for a while before getting to port BB10 to the tablets.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON
said by ekster:

I think Playbook will take a bit of time before getting BB10. They've made some big changes recently already, and will probably be a lot more focused on the cellphones for a while before getting to port BB10 to the tablets.

maybe

But IIRC there are some people running the BB10 Alpha software on their playbooks already (believe I saw it at crackberry.com)
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

Platform-specific communication is just silly. Especially when you aren't even the market leader.

Services like Skype blow this away.

I kind of doubt that a third party app will 'blow away' an integrated function using something as stable as BBM.

Besides, this can be a very big deal to corporations as they can make quite a saving by removing long distance calls when sending someone out of the city or country.

@BigSensFan Yup, people have already been testing BB10 on their Playbooks... but the results aren't good right now as it's alpha and is very unstable so far on the PB.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Electronic Box
reply to kingb71
said by kingb71:

Rumour has it the Playbook will be $118 next week again, am serously considering getting one at that price, if only to test BB10 when it comes out before I make a decision on a new phone whether I go BB10 or Android.

For $118, a 32GB Playbook is an absolute steal, BB10 or not. PB OS 2.1 works along the same lines as BB10, so it will give you somewhat of a feel of BB10. I love the swipe gestures. There is no need for any buttons and you can move through apps very quickly and efficiently.

Might buy a couple more as gifts - we already have 5 in the house.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

I kind of doubt that a third party app will 'blow away' an integrated function using something as stable as BBM.

That's it right there. Many people read these stories but they have no idea how well BBM functions and how reliably it behaves. I can communicate realtime with a friend in a foreign country overseas and if she wants to snap me a picture of whatever she's looking at, it's as simple as hitting a button and there it is.

Of course BBM sounds like texting but for people that know better, that know that texts can end up in the ether, it has receipt of delivery and acknowledgement that a message was read.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
said by urbanriot:

Of course BBM sounds like texting but for people that know better, that know that texts can end up in the ether, it has receipt of delivery and acknowledgement that a message was read.

Apple's iMessage has receipts and acknowledgements and works between all iDevices and Macs too. The only issue I have with things like BBM, iMessage and Facetime is that they don't interact with other platforms. Limits their usefulness IMO.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

said by shaner:

Don't think so, BBM to BBM only. Sounds like you both need Wi-Fi at the time as well.

voice calling feature that will allow BBM users to speak to each other for free when connected to Wi-Fi networks

Ahh..gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Apple's iMessage has receipts and acknowledgements and works between all iDevices and Macs too. The only issue I have with things like BBM, iMessage and Facetime is that they don't interact with other platforms. Limits their usefulness IMO.

Yea, I agree, and then you have cludgy applications like whatsapp that attempt to unify these devices and that leads to its own kind of issues with overhead...

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues
I'm looking forward to BB10 as my Bold 9700 is itching to be replaced by a more powerful, touch enabled device but retains the full keyboard. My contract is up next May so I'll have some good negotiating power for new hardware.

Hopefully the launch details on Jan 30th reveal good sale dates for the actual devices.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I'm also looking forward to it, and glad that the launching date is in that time frame. My contract expires in April, and I was hoping to move to BB ever sense I got the Playbook and seen how their newer OS works. Hopefully there will be some good retention plans or deals when the time comes.

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON
reply to elwoodblues
As I work in IT, I had a BB10 demo the other day and I have to say, not overly impressed. I'll reserve judgement until I have a few days to try out all the features but from what Ive seen, it's no "game changer".

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by DSMdude:

As I work in IT, I had a BB10 demo the other day and I have to say, not overly impressed. I'll reserve judgement until I have a few days to try out all the features but from what Ive seen, it's no "game changer".

Where did you demo it?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

said by pnjunction:

said by shaner:

Ahh..gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

so, since there are exponentially more iPhones out there than BB10 devices, the ability to use Facetime is much higher...as well, facetime works on WiFi or Cellular (wireless)...the BB version, while neat, isn't a game changer at all...it is likely a non-issue, since very few people will have it, and it only gets used in wifi mode.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
The free calling thing is a red herring. It might save a few people a few bucks, but RIM has a tiny marketshare, regardless of install-base size, so the chances of actually being able to talk to somebody on it are slim. Apple devices (via Facetime, which does video on top of voice, and works on wifi AND cellular) and Google devices (in the US with Google Voice, sort of) already do this built-in. So there's no advantage there.

Is it good that BBM will add this feature? Yes. Is it going to make all that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things? No.

People talk about BBM as if it's the most amazing thing in the world, but they don't realize that the rest of the market has caught up. It's no longer a selling point. An example earlier in this thread was given about how it enabled "real time communication" and "reliability" and "send pictures". So does iMessage, and it doesn't need a special data plan like BBM. And unlike BBM, which requires sharing a friend-code like thing, iMessage just automatically works when you send a message to a telephone number or e-mail of a phone/tablet/computer that supports it. On the reliability front, BBM does not have a very good reliability track record over the past few years with very public downtime.

Is BBM a decent product? Yes. Is it dramatically better than the competitors' products? No. Maybe it was five years ago. Not today.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BigSensFan
Premium
Belle River, ON
You can try the BBM voice features now, if you own a BB6 or BB7 device and are willing to sign up for the Blackberry Beta Zone

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The free calling thing is a red herring. It might save a few people a few bucks, but RIM has a tiny marketshare, regardless of install-base size, so the chances of actually being able to talk to somebody on it are slim.

Not here, maybe in Montreal. Here 1/3 of my friends have Blackberries as do many of my business contacts. The other 2/3 are basically iPhones and I could probably count on one hand the amount of people that own Android phones (or know that they own an Android phone).

said by Guspaz:

Is it good that BBM will add this feature? Yes. Is it going to make all that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things? No.

Yes. You can engage in a conversation with someone on your phone rather than Skype. Not sure if you've been paying attention but Microsoft has bold plans with Skype concerning Windows 8 phones.

said by Guspaz:

People talk about BBM as if it's the most amazing thing in the world, but they don't realize that the rest of the market has caught up. It's no longer a selling point.

I believe you haven't caught up on the technological aspects of what you're asserting and you're unaware of what a selling point is and is not. I know of people that have purchased Blackberries primarily for Blackberry services, email and BBM.

said by Guspaz:

Is BBM a decent product? Yes. Is it dramatically better than the competitors' products? No. Maybe it was five years ago. Not today.

Wrong. Try using it for a while rather than trying to assert your opinions as fact. It would be easier to read what you write if you didn't portray yourself as a credible expert and rather portrayed your opinion for what it is.

You made up, "BBM does not have a very good reliability track record over the past few years with very public downtime"; In our industry, we use it for global communications at bizarre hours of the day and it's affected our ability to communicate enough times for me to count on my hand. A few days in Oct, 2011? Big deal. We survived.

You come across as an iPhone owning Apple fanboy who feels threatened by any service by a competing product that's better than what you currently have.

BigSensFan
Premium
Belle River, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I just tried the BBM voice and it is clear as a bell... awesome service

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to urbanriot
our work has likely 80 smartphones (maybe close to 100, but let's say 80)...when i started in 2007, every one of them was a BB...fast forward a couple of years, and there were a handful of iPhones and Android devices...now, i would be surprised if there are 10 BBs...there are roughly 45 iPhones, 25 Android devices and a small percentage of BB devices now...honestly, i haven't seen one staff member using one, but i'm sure there are still a few kicking around...the last couple of outages didn't cause us much of a problem, because there are so few of them in use at our work now...i'm not saying BB units are crap, just that the other brands have made significant progress capturing a large chunk of that business market that was once RIMs domain.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

we tried FaceTime for the first time last weekend...my wife's parents use it when they call from Florida and find it works much better than Skype (they used that service before)...they can call us with their phone down there for free anyway, but used the FaceTime to show us their new furniture and golf cart...it too worked very well.
--

- George Orwell

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Not here, maybe in Montreal. Here 1/3 of my friends have Blackberries as do many of my business contacts. The other 2/3 are basically iPhones and I could probably count on one hand the amount of people that own Android phones (or know that they own an Android phone).

My anecdotal experience in Montreal differs. Almost everybody I know have Android phones. A small number have iPhones. Zero have Blackberries. Even all the corporate-type people at work have ditched their Blackberries.

said by urbanriot:

Yes. You can engage in a conversation with someone on your phone rather than Skype. Not sure if you've been paying attention but Microsoft has bold plans with Skype concerning Windows 8 phones.

You say "rather than Skype" as if it wasn't still having a conversation on your phone. In fact, Skype works anywhere, while BBM turns your blackberry into a glorified cordless phone; you can only use it if you don't move too far from your access point... Until it has a seamless handoff to cellular data (and why the heck doesn't it? Voice uses very little data), it's not all that practical either.

said by urbanriot:

I believe you haven't caught up on the technological aspects of what you're asserting and you're unaware of what a selling point is and is not. I know of people that have purchased Blackberries primarily for Blackberry services, email and BBM.

It's an instant messenger. It doesn't involve e-mail. Major selling points of the newest BBM update are "more emoticons" and "coloured chat bubbles" and "new animations". Once other IM services started working well enough, BBM had no real value. You haven't actually given any examples of how it's better than Android and Apple solutions.

said by urbanriot:

Wrong. Try using it for a while rather than trying to assert your opinions as fact. It would be easier to read what you write if you didn't portray yourself as a credible expert and rather portrayed your opinion for what it is.

Try using it? Umm, no thanks, I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars and completely change my telephone plan just to get in on a dying platform from a terminally ill company.

said by urbanriot:

You made up, "BBM does not have a very good reliability track record over the past few years with very public downtime"; In our industry, we use it for global communications at bizarre hours of the day and it's affected our ability to communicate enough times for me to count on my hand. A few days in Oct, 2011? Big deal. We survived.

You might have survived. RIM didn't. It, and the other outages that followed, caused large numbers of enterprise users (including those in my company) to jump ship.

said by urbanriot:

You come across as an iPhone owning Apple fanboy who feels threatened by any service by a competing product that's better than what you currently have.

I have an iPhone. I got an iPhone because I broke my Samsung and the Pre wasn't yet on sale (dodged THAT bullet). Android, at the time, barely existed, and wasn't mature like it is today. I'm happy enough with it. I see no pressing need to switch. But you know what? I still think Android is a much better option than a Blackberry. And I don't think there are any relevant platforms on the market other than Android and iOS.

As for me being an Apple fanboy, I've got actively used computers in my apartment running all three major operating systems. My primary is Windows. I own a TI Android dev board. You, on the other hand, seem to be experiencing a reality distortion field far worse than the one Jobs ever put out. RIM is far more of a "burning platform" than Nokia ever was.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BigSensFan
Premium
Belle River, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by BigSensFan:

we tried FaceTime for the first time last weekend...my wife's parents use it when they call from Florida and find it works much better than Skype (they used that service before)...they can call us with their phone down there for free anyway, but used the FaceTime to show us their new furniture and golf cart...it too worked very well.

I dont think the screen real estate on the current BB are condusive to video chat. The playbook has a video chat client that works very well, that I assume will be brought to BB10 devices
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You might have survived. RIM didn't. It, and the other outages that followed, caused large numbers of enterprise users (including those in my company) to jump ship.

When you refer to a 'track record' and 'other outages', you're really only referring to October 11, 2011? I just want to confirm that your assertions are really gross exaggerations of your opinion.

said by urbanriot:

You, on the other hand, seem to be experiencing a reality distortion field far worse than the one Jobs ever put out.

Well, I might seem that way to a pie-eyed Apple fanboy but in reality I'm someone who can objectively compare the differences of platforms and appreciate which platform has the better service in various departments without excluding others.

My bias is towards what's better in which department that's important to me, which is why my personal phone is an iPhone and my business phone is a Blackberry. Yes, unlike others that purport themselves as official experts, I can actually compare the two on a daily basis.