Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to TLS2000

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by TLS2000:

said by BigSensFan:

said by TLS2000:

I said to hell with it and "reserved" one last night. I was 2683 in the queue. I looked today and now I'm in the 2800's. Awesome job Rogers.

In all of Rogers I hope, and not your local store

I am #3 at my local store

Ya with their online device reservation system. I'm stymied as to how my place in line got moved in the wrong direction in 8 hours, but at least this way I won't have to search for one. I'll check with my local Rogers store later in the week still, but otherwise I'll just let Rogers sort it out for me.

maybe they did not get enough for all the pre-orders yesterday, and those people were added to the list ahead of you ?
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by BigSensFan:

maybe they did not get enough for all the pre-orders yesterday, and those people were added to the list ahead of you ?

The list takes that into account. Preorders were all supposed to be done on the website. What's more than likely happening is VIP customers are being put at the top of the list.
--
Tom

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by BigSensFan:

"We're hearing that pre-order sales have exceeded iPhone sales for the last three months," Umiastowski told CBC News.

I'm not trying to put down RIM but just where the hell do they "hear" that? We can only know for sure when RIM posts their quarterly report.

That info was from a CIBC research note. I linked this previously but I'll link it again »bgr.com/2013/02/04/blackberry-10···-315659/

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

»www.valuewalk.com/2013/02/resear···xpected/

Sales better than expected

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

That... is a very broken website. None of the images, or apparently the CSS load. The server returns 400 bad request for all of them.

I'll caution that sales results for Canada won't necessarily reflect those of the US; RIM's marketshare has always been much higher in the Canadian market than the US, but in relative terms, the Canadian market is rather unimportant.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Relative to market share, yes, but if they can stay alive based on the Canadian and British markets long enough to make improvements in developer support and fix the little glitches in the OS, they could conceivably make a comeback.

There's a lot of ifs there though.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

That... is a very broken website. None of the images, or apparently the CSS load. The server returns 400 bad request for all of them.

Works fine here, and I'm not using IE either.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

Works fine here, and I'm not using IE either.

Not sure what site he's referring to but both links on this page of the thread all load fine for me, both Chrome and IE.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Probably our proxy then.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

said by Guspaz:

Probably our proxy then.

I'm going through squid here. Lots of adblocking too.

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to elwoodblues

My black z10 arrived today. Here are my first impressions

*Fairly large phone. Noticeable in a pocket or on your belt.

*OS is very easy to use, especially if you are familiar with a playbook.

*Fast on cell network - In Peterborough on Bell - Speedtest.net was over 30meg with only 3 bars.

*Multitasking is a dream come true, other phones can't touch it yet.

*Blackberry Hub is really handy, had all my accounts setup within 15 min.

*Lots of media content available in Blackberry world. - a tad pricey though.

*Transferring my documents/contacts/bbm/history/favorites, etc... was a breeze using blackberry link. - It even saved all my WiFi connections so i didn't have to reconnect to them all!

*Web browser is very fast and displays pages great!

*Display is clear and easy to read, and you can adjust brightness settings.

---

Migrated from a Torch 9800 on BES express 5.x - to this new blackberry z10 using Activesync. Going to try out BES 10 in the coming weeks to see it if is going to be worth while for MDM.

Any other z10 owners out there yet?

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Interesting info from Crackberry

First is that BlackBerry is reporting that Feb 5th was the biggest day ever for BlackBerry sales:

»crackberry.com/yesterdays-canada···ackberry

Second is that Rogers is reporting that they sold more BlackBerry smartphones yesterday than any other day in Rogers history

»crackberry.com/rogers-sold-more-···-history

Definitely seems momentum is on BlackBerry's side

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

I just got mine it is sweet (still playing with it to figure more out)

The girl at Telus said that their sales (company wide) were 178% of what they expected
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I'm looking forward to a BB10 release for the Playbook.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by Gone:

I'm looking forward to a BB10 release for the Playbook.

same here

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I'm still watching the phones. I was ready for the next round of phone upgrades at the store to be Android-based, but if they get decent developer support I might explore the possibility of Z10s/Q10s instead.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to BigSensFan

+1
I played with a Z10 today @ Futureshop - very cool - I like it.
A steady stream of customers (not a lineup) came in during the 30 minutes I was there to buy the Z10.

I bought a Nexus 7 tablet to try out while I was there - it's ok - typical Android, but Futureshop had the 64GB playbook for $129 today. That's a killer price for a tablet running BB10 (when it comes to the Playbook). I'd much rather have a Playbook running BB10 for $129 than a $269 Nexus tablet.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues

some reviews have complained about the darkness of pictures from the camera when not using the flash. One guy at crackberry found a trick to get great low light pics without flash

»forums.crackberry.com/general-di···t7947610

basically, change the focal point from something light coloured to something dark. So if your subject is a person with a light coloured shirt, do not focus on the shirt, instead focus on his dark hair
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to elwoodblues

Unlock codes for the Z10 are now available
»crackberry.com/how-unlock-your-b···carriers

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

anyone want to try video chat? My cousin and I for some reason can not connect, I want to see if it is on my end

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

I'd say yes, but I'm still 2642 on the Rogers waiting list.

I'm going to stop at my local Rogers stores tomorrow to see if they've got any stock.
--
Tom

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to BigSensFan

Did you know about the boot 'easter egg'?

Basically, when booting, touch the logo, and it will give you the % booted.

Speaking of which, how is the boot time on this device?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

I rebooted the demo model at Best Buy today and it was about a minute. WAY faster than my 9800, but still not lightning fast.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 edit
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

I just did a timed test, 70 seconds from press of the button until it was fully loaded... to me that is acceptable

edit: did a second test and exactly 70 seconds again
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by BigSensFan:

said by J E F F:

I just did a timed test, 70 seconds from press of the button until it was fully loaded... to me that is acceptable

edit: did a second test and exactly 70 seconds again

70 seconds?

why so long??...the iPhone5 takes 20 seconds to reboot.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Seriously, did you have to troll that comment?

70 seconds is WAY better than the old days. I remember my 9800 took ten minutes to boot once.
--
Tom

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

1 recommendation

reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

70 seconds?

why so long??...the iPhone5 takes 20 seconds to reboot.

Because BB checks the cryptographic signatures of all executables loaded and iPhone just loads whatever is there.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Seriously, did you have to troll that comment?

70 seconds is WAY better than the old days. I remember my 9800 took ten minutes to boot once.

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues

Wow thats some great features... Click the logo, get percent booted? Booting in 70 seconds? Atleast its better than the old one?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.

That's because by design - and for obvious reasons - its boot process is more complex than other device.

If they've gotten it down to 70 seconds, that's impressive. My S3 isn't much less than that.