share rss forum feed

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

I'd say yes, but I'm still 2642 on the Rogers waiting list.

I'm going to stop at my local Rogers stores tomorrow to see if they've got any stock.
--
Tom

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to BigSensFan

Did you know about the boot 'easter egg'?

Basically, when booting, touch the logo, and it will give you the % booted.

Speaking of which, how is the boot time on this device?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

I rebooted the demo model at Best Buy today and it was about a minute. WAY faster than my 9800, but still not lightning fast.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

1 edit
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

I just did a timed test, 70 seconds from press of the button until it was fully loaded... to me that is acceptable

edit: did a second test and exactly 70 seconds again
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by BigSensFan:

said by J E F F:

I just did a timed test, 70 seconds from press of the button until it was fully loaded... to me that is acceptable

70 seconds?

why so long??...the iPhone5 takes 20 seconds to reboot.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Seriously, did you have to troll that comment?

70 seconds is WAY better than the old days. I remember my 9800 took ten minutes to boot once.
--
Tom

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

1 recommendation

reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

70 seconds?

Because BB checks the cryptographic signatures of all executables loaded and iPhone just loads whatever is there.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Seriously, did you have to troll that comment?

70 seconds is WAY better than the old days. I remember my 9800 took ten minutes to boot once.

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Wow thats some great features... Click the logo, get percent booted? Booting in 70 seconds? Atleast its better than the old one?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.

That's because by design - and for obvious reasons - its boot process is more complex than other device.

If they've gotten it down to 70 seconds, that's impressive. My S3 isn't much less than that.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues

It would appear the mapping application is shite, based on OSM, and is fairly basic.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by Last Parade:

It would appear the mapping application is shite, based on OSM, and is fairly basic.

"Blackberry Maps" always has been shit. One of the first apps one ever installs on a Blackberry is Google Maps.

kingb71

Mississauga, ON

now you have to sideload the android version

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by BigSensFan:

said by J E F F:

70 seconds?

Because the BlackBerry is a secure device, while the iPhone isn't.
How long before 6.1 could be jailbroken? Was it 2 days?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to dirtyjeffer

Are boot times really an issue anymore? My phone's on 24/7 and I go months between reboots (usually for OS updates) of my iPhone. I would expect the same for any modern smartphone. The occasional 70 second reboot shouldn't be a concern.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Oh, was going to ask, were the PlayBook apps compatible with you new phone? As in, are all your purchases there?
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Riamen

said by Riamen:

Are boot times really an issue anymore? My phone's on 24/7 and I go months between reboots (usually for OS updates) of my iPhone. I would expect the same for any modern smartphone. The occasional 70 second reboot shouldn't be a concern.

The old BB's, hell, even the newer Curves, require a battery pull every couple days. Something eats the memory and you start to get the "clock with moving arms" popping up. Reboot is a good 4 minutes.
--

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Because the BlackBerry is a secure device, while the iPhone isn't.
How long before 6.1 could be jailbroken? Was it 2 days?

You do know the JB was months in planning. It was released on purpose to coincide with the 6.1 update. And I consider all phones insecure including BlackBerries.

kingb71

Mississauga, ON
reply to J E F F

I have to do a simulated battery pull every night on my 9800, and then sometimes I still have to take the case apart and do a real one. What a joke.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by kingb71:

I have to do a simulated battery pull every night on my 9800, and then sometimes I still have to take the case apart and do a real one. What a joke.

Has to be app related - my Torch9800 (running 6.0 bundle 3049 - v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246) never needs a reboot or battery pull. I've had it for 2 years and I think I've maybe done a battery pull or "shift-alt-del" no more than 3 or 4 times in that 2 years... one of those was due to loading a bad app that would crash on launch (an "android like" finger pattern slide unlocker), one was due to a bad bluetooth file transfer that seemed to lock everything up, and one was an unknown "hard lock" - took it out of my pocket and nothing would do anything - so I pulled the battery and all was well. Other than that - I never restart it except when an app update requests it (which is maybe once a month or so at most..). I wish everything else I had required so few reboots or restarts.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to kingb71

said by kingb71:

1. Simulated battery pull doesn't have the same effect as a real battery pull so perhaps your issue isn't being resolved.

2. Update your phone's software if you haven't. You can use newer software from other providers if you delete the vendor.xml file.

3. If neither of that fixes your problem, wipe out your apps and install them one at a time so you can figure out which app is causing you the issue.

I've had different Blackberry phones for years and I've only had to do battery pulls until I removed causing programs.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to Black Box

said by Black Box:

said by dirtyjeffer:

70 seconds?

Because BB checks the cryptographic signatures of all executables loaded and iPhone just loads whatever is there.

^^^^ What he said
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Oh, was going to ask, were the PlayBook apps compatible with you new phone? As in, are all your purchases there?

I asked that to the Blackbery support team, and they said that depended on the vendor
--

kingb71

Mississauga, ON
reply to urbanriot

thanks, I just do the battery pull to free up some memory, even though I close all my apps after I use them I use the phone so much I need to free up memory occasionally.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues

A week later and I'm at 1773 on the reservations list. Someone was saying that demand for the phone is so high that they're prioritizing sending stock to the stores rather than filling out the remaining reservations.

I've never understood why they allow people to reserve a device and then tell them that it doesn't guarantee a spot in line.

I'm probably going to cancel the reservation anyway. I just wanted to see how fast it moved. In a week I've moved about 1000 spots. If it keeps going at that rate I'll have to wait two more weeks.
--
Tom

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

I had a dream on the weekend... In it, I bought a Z10, and it was really good. I'm not sure how to interpret this.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Black Box

said by Black Box:

said by dirtyjeffer:

70 seconds?

So does iOS. The OS and related binaries are signed, although the JB process replaces the verification process to allow unsigned code to run. All the apps are verified when they are individually started, not on device boot. iPhone does not "load whatever is there", unless it's jailbroken.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

our "on call" phone is a BB device...not sure of the model number, but it was new about 8 months ago...it's garbage...it doesn't have any apps loaded, and it needs to get a battery pull several times a week as it freezes/crashes fairly often...so much so, when one of the techs has it, he forwards the calls to his iPhone so it doesn't miss calls or freeze/crash on him when he is helping a customer.

as well, one of the guys bought a new Z10 and has already returned it twice for issues...he is giving it a 3rd try, but his patience is wearing thin.
--

- George Orwell

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 recommendation

said by dirtyjeffer:

our "on call" phone is a BB device...not sure of the model number, but it was new about 8 months ago...it's garbage...it doesn't have any apps loaded, and it needs to get a battery pull several times a week as it freezes/crashes fairly often...so much so, when one of the techs has it, he forwards the calls to his iPhone so it doesn't miss calls or freeze/crash on him when he is helping a customer.

as well, one of the guys bought a new Z10 and has already returned it twice for issues...he is giving it a 3rd try, but his patience is wearing thin.

All your friends seem to have problems with BB devices they bought..wasnt it you that had a guy buy the PB and return it several times??

What issues is he having with the Z10?
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

yes, a few people here bought playbooks and had issues...some of them kept them though.

i will ask what the issues were with the Z10.