Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

It's just different, that's all. The power on is a tad odd though.

BSF, is that from off or sleep?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

To turn the phone on you have to hold the power button for about 10 seconds.

My friend's phone doesn't do that.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

It's just different, that's all. The power on is a tad odd though.

BSF, is that from off or sleep?

right from off...

I think if you hold down the button and wait for the led to light up, it actually delays the process..

I just turned mine off and tested the press and release, and it worked.

I will turn it off again and hold down the button and let you guys know

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Oh, wait, was he talking about turning on from a full power off?

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

yep... When I held down the button it delayed turning it on

Try just pressing and releasing it and let me know what happens
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

yes he was

I dont use the power button to wake it from sleep, I just swipe up from the bottom of the screen

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

There is no other kind of off. It's either off, in standby, or on.
TLS2000

TLS2000 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

I hold it down for a second or less and it turns on

Hence the need for haptic feedback. I have no issues knowing when my GS3 is turning on. It vibrates to let me know I can let go of the button.

You are correct though. Holding it for about a second and releasing turns it on.
TLS2000

TLS2000

Premium Member

Found a bug too. Can't type mypin in a text message to get my pin number to display. It simply makes it "my pin".

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
Do you need the feedback if you know that it just turns on with one quick press? Like my TV and Radio
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Found a bug too. Can't type mypin in a text message to get my pin number to display. It simply makes it "my pin".

When I do "mypin" in BBM it displays my pin number on the space bar, touch the space bar and it autofills with what is in there

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

I didn't say it didn't work in BBM.

I said it doesn't work in text messages.

edit: In fact, I'd argue it's more important for mypin to work in a text message than a BBM message. Anyone on BBM already has your PIN.

And yes, the feedback is needed. If there's something wrong with the phone you'll sit there all day happily pushing the power button without knowing that nothing is happening. The lack of feedback tells you that nothing is happening.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

I didn't say it didn't work in BBM.

I said it doesn't work in text messages.

edit: In fact, I'd argue it's more important for mypin to work in a text message than a BBM message. Anyone on BBM already has your PIN.

And yes, the feedback is needed. If there's something wrong with the phone you'll sit there all day happily pushing the power button without knowing that nothing is happening. The lack of feedback tells you that nothing is happening.

To each their own I guess... I dont need feedback to know it is coming on

And I would not call the mypin feature not being active in a text message a bug personally

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm trying to be objective here. Maybe you should too.

We'll call the feedback thing an opinion based thing, but why would it not be a bug for mypin to not work in text messages? You don't need to send BBM contacts your pin number. They already have it. Sending it in a text message is important as they need it to add you to BBM. Mypin worked everywhere in older BlackBerry devices.

My MicroSD card became corrupted upon insertion into the phone too. This was with power off on both the old phone and the Z10. It deleted the file system and is now telling me I need to format it. I tried to put it back into the GS3 and the GS3 is claiming it's not formatted now.

I'm trying to like this phone, but it seems to me that BlackBerry still has some issues with their quality control.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

FWIW PIN's are not needed anyways, all your bbm contacts are through your BBID which is the email address you use to sign up for Blackberry World.

You can also just invite a person to chat over bbm from the app using their email address or phone number

If you use the phone number it open a text message and send the pin and some other info as well
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
I dont think I am not being objective.

I dont know if I have ever sent a BBM invite via text, most people I add manually with their pins (or vice versa) or I scan the QR code of the person if they are beside me

I can understand how it would be good to have the mypin show your pin but to me it is not a deal breaker, for someone who uses it alot, I can see some people getting frustrated over it

This is a first gen OS, so I expect there will be areas that need tweaking, send some feedback to them via twitter or email (or even post in the various threads at Crackberry, as I know they look there)
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
As for the Micro SD, perhaps it is a different formatting system between devices? NO idea just guessing.

I took mine from my Torch and put it into the Z10 and I never had any issues with it

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

FWIW PIN's are not needed anyways, all your bbm contacts are through your BBID which is the email address you use to sign up for Blackberry World.

You can also just invite a person to chat over bbm from the app using their email address or phone number

If you use the phone number it open a text message and send the pin and some other info as well

I didn't know that. I've never been able to do that in the past. I literally opened up a text message to send to my buddy and typed mypin and got "my pin" instead of what I was expecting. That's how I give my PIN to people when I'm not near them. Otherwise I would have gone with the QR code method.

I still consider it a bug.

I'm not BlackBerry newbie either. I have had OS 4/5/6/7 devices.
TLS2000

TLS2000 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan See Profile
This is a first gen OS, so I expect there will be areas that need tweaking, send some feedback to them via twitter or email (or even post in the various threads at Crackberry, as I know they look there)
[/BQUOTE :

This is not a first gen OS. They used us poor PlayBook owners as beta testers. BB10 is really a new version of the PlayBook OS. If anything I'd say it's a second generation OS.

TLS2000

TLS2000 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

As for the Micro SD, perhaps it is a different formatting system between devices? NO idea just guessing.

I took mine from my Torch and put it into the Z10 and I never had any issues with it

I'd agree with that, but if it had problems reading it it shouldn't have deleted the contents of the file system. It should have told me it was having trouble reading it. I'm rather annoyed about losing those pictures. Yes I should have had a backup, but there's no excuse for the OS corrupting the file system.
warren2
join:2008-02-28
St Catharines, ON

warren2

I'm still annoyed that they decided to strip down the Notifications - I miss Level 1 Alerts... it made on call much easier to deal with, it's somewhat of a pain in the butt to work around not having fully customizable notifications.

Hopefully the fully customizable notifications and level 1 alerts make it into an update in the near future.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
Yes I agree there is no reason for the system to delete the contents of your card or format the card without prompting you

This OS is a tiny bit similar to PBOS but I still think it is a new OS, even if it is a 2nd gen OS it is the first time that it is present on a phone...

Every new OS incarnation has little glitches that need working out.. I see the mypin thing as a 'little glitch' at worst at best, it is a preference of the user

One thing I would like to see is the Hub automatically go back to the hub messages. Right now if I view a message in the hub then quit out to an app, and then go back to the hub it remains in the last message. I would like the option to decide where the Hub defaults to (not a glitch IMO, a user preference)

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm still exploring it.

Found a graphical glitch in BBM too. One of the messages I sent hovered on top of the message window until I closed BBM and reopened it.

I'm really impressed with the keyboard and I hate it at the same time. lol

One reason to love it, it's made by Switfkey, the same keyboard that I use on my Android phone. You can type a message without using spaces and it'll automatically insert them for you.

justlikethis would turn into just like this when you hit space.

Hate it because some of the innovative things that Swiftkey has done on their Android keyboard aren't present in the BB one.

For instance, to put in a question mark on their Android one all I have to do is hit period and swipe right.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

I like the keyboard for the most part.. one thing I wish was customizable, is the colour of the words that appear on the keyboard to swipe up. I wear reading glasses, but not when using the phone...but those words are hard to read when white.. If they were red they might be easier to read
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
For all the reports that claimed the battery life sucked, well I took mine off the charger at 9 am and have been using it on and off all day. Web, BBM, email.. and right now I am at 27% battery left

My usage of it has been as much as I used my old BB or iPhone when I had them.

12 hours + to me is pretty good for a smart phone

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

That's my next big test. Thankfully Dropbox had copies of all of my photos on it due to syncing from my GS3.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

That's my next big test. Thankfully Dropbox had copies of all of my photos on it due to syncing from my GS3.

You will use more battery the first few days because you will be playing with it more

The Box app on the Z10 allows you to default all your pics upload to that (you can choose over Wireless network or only Wifi)

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm sure I will.

I'm installing BlackBerry Link on the computer now and I'm going to put those photos back on the memory card as soon as that's done.

I'll set up synchronization with Box too, although I prefer Dropbox since it doesn't limit you to 100mb/file.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

I prefer to use dropbox too.. but for the ease of syncing my music and photos I will use box for those

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

I actually discovered that the "Connect to dropbox" app works quite well for Dropbox. I'm using that now.

Day two with the phone is a more positive experience.