Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

in the last couple of years, there have been several large scale RIM outages.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
said by urbanriot :

When you refer to a 'track record' and 'other outages', you're really only referring to October 11, 2011? I just want to confirm that your assertions are really gross exaggerations of your opinion.

Well, there was a big one in September that affected large parts of the world. I'll admit they resolved that one in a timely fashion. I don't feel like trolling news sites to identify every outage. Some googling did turn up additional outages in June 2012, January 2012, December 2011, November 2011... And most of those were just regional (Canada), not outages in other areas. RIM has outages relatively frequently. I base my opinion on the fact that I seem to constantly be seeing news headlines about the latest RIM outage, not on any one single outage.
said by urbanriot :

Well, I might seem that way to a pie-eyed Apple fanboy but in reality I'm someone who can objectively compare the differences of platforms and appreciate which platform has the better service in various departments without excluding others.

For somebody who loves to tar and feather anybody who disagrees with him as a "fanboy", you seem to be very carfeully avoiding doing any actual comparisons. I'm still waiting for you to give some examples of how BBM is significantly better than competing instant messenger services.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

in the last couple of years, there have been several large scale RIM outages.

The service bulletins are archived on RIM's site so it doesn't require a lot of trolling. The only two that have effected us in an annoying sort of way was the heavily broadcasted October 11, 2011, and the one in the summer that made it impossible to communicate with colleagues overseas.

We resorted to texting during those outages.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
"The frequent outages have only occasionally affected our region." is not exactly a confidence-inspiring marketing plan. It speaks to the perception of reliability. "What part of the world is going to have a RIM outage this month?" is not the kind of roulette game that enterprises like to play.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Almost everybody I know have Android phones. A small number have iPhones. Zero have Blackberries. Even all the corporate-type people at work have ditched their Blackberries.

your observation mimics reality:

»www.informationweek.com/ ··· 40142134

Gartner estimates that Google sold 122.5 million Android devices in the July - September period, doubling the 60.5 million it sold during the same period a year ago. That's massive growth, and it shows no signs of abating. Google says it is activating 1.3 million new Android handsets each and every day.

Apple posted growth, too, boosting sales from 17.3 million iPhones a year ago to 23.6 million this year. But Apple actually lost market share, dropping from 15% to 13.9%.

Sales of BlackBerrys dropped from 12.7 million to 8.9 million, and RIM's market share collapsed from 11% to 5.3%. Bada, Samsung's proprietary smartphone platform (which most people have probably never even heard of), shipped 5 million units, giving it 3% of the smartphone market. That's more than Symbian and Windows Phone. Symbian plummeted from 16.9% a year ago to a meager 2.6% this year.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform improved from 1.7% a year ago to 2.4% this year, with sales of just 4 million units during the third quarter of this year.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

"The frequent outages have only occasionally affected our region." is not exactly a confidence-inspiring marketing plan. It speaks to the perception of reliability. "What part of the world is going to have a RIM outage this month?" is not the kind of roulette game that enterprises like to play.

Fortunately many enterprise environments have skilled IT people that know where reality differs from your exaggerations and have reliable communications that's appropriate for them.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
I had the original 8500 Samsung Wave, and it had Bada. It was a very impressive device. It included many apps that you have to either buy, or put up with shitty ads for.

It wound up in the wash last year. I miss it.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i had a Samsung Corby Pro (no idea what it used)...it was terrible and really turned me off "smart phones"...i used it for maybe a year and went back to my BB Pearl (which was just used as a phone)...i've had my iPhone5 for almost a month now and it is quite nice.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

My current phone is android. I love android. It offers me certain customizability and performance that no blackberry out today can match. Its also further along the innovation curve than apple is. That being said, I want BB10 to be awesome. If it is, then it will drive innovation among all OS's. But I also want it to succeed so that IT departments can offer a work solution that people actually want to use.

However, a quality os is no guarantee of success. Windows Phone 8 is a wonderful os, but nobody is moving to it en masse like they should be. Mostly because they're late to the dance and it requires a learning curve for people who have gotten used to android, ios and even blackberry. I'm hoping BB10 doesn't follow the same fate.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Reliable? The folks here still on BB have suffered through several outages while those of us with Exchange set up on android or ios have had completely uninterrupted service. My Nasdaq-listed company is bailing on BB in the coming months. They basically said it offers nothing that isn't available on the other platforms, which employees are increasingly choosing for their devices, and requires extra infrastructure and resources that aren't worth it.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

Reliable? The folks here still on BB have suffered through several outages while those of us with Exchange set up on android or ios have had completely uninterrupted service. My Nasdaq-listed company is bailing on BB in the coming months. They basically said it offers nothing that isn't available on the other platforms, which employees are increasingly choosing for their devices, and requires extra infrastructure and resources that aren't worth it.

yea...i'm not an IT guy, but as i said, what was once about 80 BB units is now less than 10, and everything "just works"...i don't know anything about how the stuff works, but it does...we still have more iPhones than Android devices, but the number of Android devices has steadily grown.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Yea, Blackberry Enterprise server is not as simple to manage as Activesync and there's far too many sadsack Microsoft / A+ certified IT people out there who can only handle simple things like Activesync which "just works".

Research in Motion fouled up when they released an upgraded software package that was harder to manage than the previous version. Rather than arrogantly tout the advanced abilities and greater administrative powers one has managing Blackberry's, they should have created a software package that community college level IT could manage as well.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by DSMdude:

As I work in IT, I had a BB10 demo the other day and I have to say, not overly impressed. I'll reserve judgement until I have a few days to try out all the features but from what Ive seen, it's no "game changer".

Where did you demo it?

Probably at his work.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

said by urbanriot:

said by DSMdude:

As I work in IT, I had a BB10 demo the other day and I have to say, not overly impressed.

Where did you demo it?

Probably at his work.

Yea, which is why I asked, as he either works at a very large corporation that's potentially utilizing a massive Blackberry deployment or he's a developer, both of which leads to further questions.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

That may be an NDA in terms of details. I'm sure it would be.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Considering the news sites that covered the BB10 events, I doubt it.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Bllomberg has a video interview shows some of the features

»www.bloomberg.com/video/ ··· 4EQ.html

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Engadget interviews RIM CEO Thorsten Heins on Blackberry

10 - »www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· terview/

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Gartner projects that Windows phone will be #2 at 19.5% market share by 2015. So far sales are ramping up as expected, with Windows Phone currently at 3.5%, tripling its market share in the past year.

»www.dailytech.com/Gartne ··· 1318.htm

Gartner has correctly predicted Android's dominance of the smartphone OS, as well as Apple's plateau at its current 17% share of the smartphone market. The predict RIM will fall to 11% worldwide by 2015.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

2 edits

Guspaz

MVM

That prediction about Windows Phone was made in early 2011, from 2010 data, before Windows had seen any marketshare growth. It's basically a worthless projection based on gut feelings and not actual data. In fact they project that Windows Phone will be at 10.8% by 2012, when in fact Microsoft is at 3.5% in 2012.

The projection makes assumptions that didn't happen, like that Symbian share would convert into Windows share (didn't happen), and predates the Windows Phone 8 and the compatibility kerfuffle (WP7 and WP8 aren't backwards or forwards compatible), etc.

Also their prediction of RIM falling to 11% by 2015 is laughable since RIM already fell to 4.2% by 2012.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
My boss is still hooked on BB, he went to a presentation last month, and is still drooling over the future BB's. We will continue purchasing them.
New to my corp is the creep of ipads that are coming into the workplace.
Complete waste of money, but hey, the big boys need to play with toys, right?
Presently we run between 100-200 phones, (can't be more specific), and all but one are BB's. One IT guy has a personal iphone that he can't stand.
Personally, I don't care what smartphone people go with, I feel that unless you're in the field, they're a waste of money.
markf
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by EUS:

re what smartphone people go with, I feel that unless you're in the field, they're a waste of money.

I thought so too, but with Wind Mobile I have my $200 (owned outright Torch 9810, bought second hand) on a $29 unlimited local talk, text and data plan. A feature phone would cost me $4 less per month just because I'd be on their $25 plan that has only 100 MB per month).

With the smartphone I can take pictures and video of my kids anywhere we go, use BBM to send pictures back and forth between myself and my wife (Is this the one you were looking for? This is the part I'm looking for at the hardware store, can you get it on the way home?...etc...). I can type out email on the go (luxury I know), use it as a GPS to find out where I am going, search for prices while in store to get the best value, all in a quick always in your hand solution.

I know they are not for everyone, but with a provider like Wind where data is included it seems like an old feature phone is a relic from the past. Before I was in business, I had an old Nokia prepaid which was ok, but communication is so much easier with my BB now.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Those are pretty decent prices.
I have to move out of this crummy province.
Wife and I keep mulling it over, based on a 3 day stay, she thinks she wants to move to the London area. I've never been.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

How does Wind Mobile charge if you go outside their prime coverage areas (GTA & Ottawa area) into their 'roaming' areas

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

From their website:

For calls made outside of our network, you only pay 20 cents/min for Canada-wide calling, 15 cents/text and just $1/MB of data with no long distance charges. Click Here for more on our monthly plans.

Must be on top of the monthly charges.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by EUS:

From their website:

For calls made outside of our network, you only pay 20 cents/min for Canada-wide calling, 15 cents/text and just $1/MB of data with no long distance charges. Click Here for more on our monthly plans.

Thanks

I would go Wind, if I didnt travel outside their area quite a bit
markf
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by BigSensFan:

said by EUS:

From their website:

Thanks

I would go Wind, if I didnt travel outside their area quite a bit

It is on top of the monthly charges and if you're not in a Wind area I would probably not recommend it. They are expanding from the GTA out (and have coverage in other cities in Canada), but if you are frequent traveller the value dissipates pretty quickly.

Back to the thread topic, RIM up big again today on the markets, analysts are seeing the potential in BB10 and upgrading the stock.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by markf:

Back to the thread topic, RIM up big again today on the markets, analysts are seeing the potential in BB10 and upgrading the stock.

Yea, that's quite a surge, back to where it was at the start of summer - »www.google.ca/finance?cid=674819

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71

Its funny, some of these ANALysts were panning RIM recently but now they have seen the light, some are even predicting the stock hit $40+! How fickle...

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

It's a good thing though... if they're predicting that it will hit $40... then people will listen to them and start buying it up. Result? They end up bringing it to $40.