spc
uniqs
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

1 recommendation

ansky to anon1

to anon1

Re: good way of telling I have power in the house?

Here's another trick if you have a DVR:

Log into your account online or through the Remote DVR app on your smartphone. Click on the option for DVR Recordings or DVR Schedule. If you get a message like "Unable to connect" or "No recordings" then you know your house doesn't have power.
That was my experience. Once the power came back on I was able to see my recordings.
Capt_video
join:2001-12-28
Grapevine, TX

1 recommendation

Capt_video

Just be aware that according to friend in NJ who works for Verizon said about 10% of ONTs have failed when power is brought back up. No one is sure of the cause but suspect power surges when lines were shorted to trees etc. during storm. So you could have power to the house but still no phone or connection to Verizon.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

1 recommendation

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by Capt_video:

Just be aware that according to friend in NJ who works for Verizon said about 10% of ONTs have failed when power is brought back up. No one is sure of the cause but suspect power surges when lines were shorted to trees etc. during storm. So you could have power to the house but still no phone or connection to Verizon.

Is it better, then, to turn off house power at the electrical panel and then flip that switch back on once power to the house has been restored? Would have reduce the risk of the ONT frying?

Still no power at my house (or office) either, but there was a tree and electrical crew in my backyard as of an hour ago. Good luck to you, anon1.

I had been calling my phone to see if I have electrical, but when I came home just now, I did turn off the breaker totally, so I guess there's really no way I'll know unless I go home or check with a neighbor on the same circuit.
Capt_video
join:2001-12-28
Grapevine, TX

Capt_video

No that will be too late as they think most of the BBUs that failed probable failed when the power went out but it is always a good idea to throw the main breaker in your panel before the power comes up to avoind any surprises.