Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Zach

to Zach

Re: Gas lines and DIY

Someone needs to send this link to Mythbusters.
They did an episode on whether a building can blow up from a gas leak (based on a Jason Bourne movie) and they couldn't replicate an explosion.

They need to revisit the myth because that building obviously blew up!

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by alkizmo:

They did an episode on whether a building can blow up from a gas leak (based on a Jason Bourne movie) and they couldn't replicate an explosion.

I don't think it's a myth that a building can blow up due to a gas leak. There's evidence in Indy, and with that in the news around here (120m north of Indy), a lot of people know of smaller explosions where friends or relatives were injured. DSLR even featured one that's about 10 miles away from Ken's current location. The myth is how the explosion happens, and the damage it causes.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

anyone from montreal should be aware of this one!!
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La ··· Disaster

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to nyrrule27

MVM

to nyrrule27
said by nyrrule27:

stop playing with the barn and get the safe open

One doesn't have to exclude the other. Just think about the possibility of using a barn filled with the right gas and air mixture to open that safe rather quickly

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

I don't think it's a myth that a building can blow up due to a gas leak. There's evidence in Indy, and with that in the news around here (120m north of Indy), a lot of people know of smaller explosions where friends or relatives were injured. DSLR even featured one that's about 10 miles away from Ken's current location. The myth is how the explosion happens, and the damage it causes.

Cause not determined for explosion
quote:
"It is still an investigation so we're very limited on the information we can give out," said Gary Coons, the chief of the Indianapolis division of the Department of Homeland Security. "We're looking at everything -- all causes, all possibilities. There's a lot of possibilities out there. ... There's a lot of possibilities that could trigger an explosion like this."

Authorities said they had launched a probe into the explosion, but cautioned they might not know the cause for days.

"You're talking days -- it could be weeks," Capt. Rita Burris, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis Fire Department, told ABC News. "They're going over the scene and processing evidence. It's still in the investigation stage."

Sarah Holsapple, a spokeswoman for Citizens Energy, said that no gas leaks had been found and that other lines were being tested. She said, however, that she did not know how long the testing would take.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Ken

MVM

to Ken
said by Ken:

When I was done that 40' run across the ceiling was 3" shorter than before because of how much more I tightened the connections.

That's great ! How many joints ? I mean, between "snug" tight and properly tight is what, less than a 1/4" of thread ? Those must have been really, really loose !
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to robbin

to robbin
don't worry I used the right amount - just enough to cover the treads and only on the pipe so the excess is on the outside of the pipe, and I used the stuff that came with the flexline which I assumed was dope...

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to Hall

MVM

to Hall
There were 4 couplers, a union, and 2 elbows. So 12 threaded connections on the horizontal run total and if each one goes in a 1/4" farther that's exactly 3". I'm just guessing mine was about 3" shorter, I didn't actually measure it.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Ken:

I'm just guessing mine was about 3"

Quoted for posterity. Hopefully that was NOT what she said. :P
id09542
join:2002-04-25
Bloomington, IL

id09542 to Ken

to Ken
Technology marches on, I just love using stainless steel flex lines now for these long runs. Ends up being less expensive due to not needing fittings.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by 67845017:

When it comes to things like that, unless I'm supremely confident about my abilities, I stay away from DIY where there are possible safety consequences. A poor cope cut never killed anyone.

Same here. Electrical and propane work I always sub out to the pros. I research and come up with solution ideas, but when the rubber hits the road, I know when I don't know and call in reputable pros to get the job done right.

Yeah, there are just some things I don't want to take chances on, especially with a family.

Ditto!
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

No amount of Mythbuster gas explosion failures will convince me gas won't explode a building. Back some 40 years ago in the one blinking stop light town in Manitoba where I'm from, there was a small barbershop just across the football field from the high school. One Saturday, in the wee hours of the morning, it went KABOOM. What started as a brick-faced, concrete block building was reduced to a basement with few steel beams remaining. The remainder was sprinkled all over town with the bulk landing in the football field.

Fast forward a few eons, after a couple of decades of being in the local volunteer fire company, I've seen my fair share of gas versus building along with creative homeowner repair failures. One of the most notable was a call on a very cold early morning for a structure fire. When we rolled up the fire was out but, what was a two-story farm house was now a 1.25 story house. The wife/mother was standing, dazed and confused, out in the -20*F cold wearing nothing but a nightgown. She stated that she turned on a stove burner to make coffee and saw a bright flash, heard a loud boom and was instantly in the back yard. Amazingly, she was unhurt other than some scorched hair. In each of the upstairs bedrooms we found the husband and teen-aged son. Both were laying on the floor beside the bed. Above each bed was a body impression in the ceiling. They were both seriously injured but survived.

If Mythbusters failed, they must have done it wrong.

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

XoX to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Hum... go watch that episode again since they did blow up the house but only reached that by increasing the amount of gas in the house.

They only failed to do it like in the movie.

XPAMD
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
united state

XPAMD

Premium Member

said by XoX:

said by alkizmo:

Hum... go watch that episode again since they did blow up the house but only reached that by increasing the amount of gas in the house.

They only failed to do it like in the movie.

That episode was based in the movie where the guys shoots (i forget which gun) through a carton of milk which supposedly prevents the explosion. They proved that its not the milk, but the gun doesn't produce enough spark.

It wasn't until they changed from Natural gas to Hydrogen Gas could they get an ignition if I am not mistaken.

Gas will ignite with the RIGHT ignition source/temp and gas/air mix.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by XPAMD:

That episode was based in the movie where the guys shoots (i forget which gun) through a carton of milk which supposedly prevents the explosion. They proved that its not the milk, but the gun doesn't produce enough spark.

It wasn't until they changed from Natural gas to Hydrogen Gas could they get an ignition if I am not mistaken.

Gas will ignite with the RIGHT ignition source/temp and gas/air mix.

/Facepalm

Yes I remember now!
They also tried to start an explosion by putting a magazine in a toaster.

They weren't actually trying to make an impressive explosion.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
Right after Sandy hit big time in NY & NJ there were many broken gas lines with gas just spewing out everywhere. Of course people were petrified of an explosion.

Good Morning America had a segment where they filmed a demonstration of a training facility in Virginia Beach Virgina for firefighters in handling gas leaks like that.

They had open gas lines buried in sand and other configurations that a firefighter might encounter.

They used a torch to light off each and every gas source. No explosions. Just a giant torch on each one. It was neat to see sand burning on the ones with the open end of the pipe buried in the sand.

Bottom line was the gas escaping outdoors posed little to no chance of causing an explosion. Of course these leaks would cause a big fire if ignited.

The woman that was blown out of the house should have been able to smell the gas as it was at a concentration sufficient to produce an explosion of that magnitude. One has to wonder about these incidents.

These incidents is why I will stick with my electric appliances. Stove, Dryer and Heatpump.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Jack_in_VA:

These incidents is why I will stick with my electric appliances. Stove, Dryer and Heatpump.

How many people are shocked or electrocuted vs the number of people are burned or killed in a gas explosion each year?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

When it comes to things like that, unless I'm supremely confident about my abilities, I stay away from DIY where there are possible safety consequences. A poor cope cut never killed anyone.

Same with me. I won't touch anything gas related and I'll only do electrical stuff that doesn't involve touching the panel. If I need to touch the panel I have a licensed professional do it.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, the electric panel gives me the willies.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

How many people are shocked or electrocuted vs the number of people are burned or killed in a gas explosion each year?

I worked with enough gas at our power plant to last several lifetimes so I think I am fully qualified to have my beliefs. A gas furnace, water heater or stove is not in itself dangerous. They only become dangerous when DIY types who think they are experts start working on them.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Right after Sandy hit big time in NY & NJ there were many broken gas lines with gas just spewing out everywhere. Of course people were petrified of an explosion.

But as far as I know there weren't any explosions.

Meanwhile people have gotten electrocuted from downed utility lines.

Electric appliances suck. An electric stove is too slow to come up to temperature and a water heater doesn't recover as quickly as gas.

Not to mention you can't really power them full time during a power outage with a portable genny like your EB5000X.

We were cooking, doing laundry, taking showers AS USUAL even with the power off.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I worked with enough gas at our power plant to last several lifetimes so I think I am fully qualified to have my beliefs. A gas furnace, water heater or stove is not in itself dangerous. They only become dangerous when DIY types who think they are experts start working on them.

In one quote you say you're sticking with electric appliances because of these incidents. But then you say that the appliances aren't inherently dangerous, but the problem is that people who are unqualified work on them. Wouldn't unqualified or DIY electricians be no different?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Jack_in_VA:

In one quote you say you're sticking with electric appliances because of these incidents. But then you say that the appliances aren't inherently dangerous, but the problem is that people who are unqualified work on them. Wouldn't unqualified or DIY electricians be no different?

They would but the subject issue is gas Gas Lines & DIY not electrical.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
A compression fitting seals on the section outlined in red here. Sealing has nothing to do with the threads on a compression fitting.

Regular pipe threads DO need dope or teflon tape or both.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

PSWired

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal:

Not trying to nitpick, just clearing things up.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal

Yes. True all that.

I was thinking about the technical compressing sealing and not the name of compression fitting.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to Zach

Premium Member

to Zach
Click for full size
said by Zach:

If Mythbusters failed, they must have done it wrong.

Here's someone that did it right:
»www.washingtonpost.com/l ··· ory.html

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
Indiana home explosion investigated as homicide