share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Gas lines and DIY

said by Jack_in_VA:

Right after Sandy hit big time in NY & NJ there were many broken gas lines with gas just spewing out everywhere. Of course people were petrified of an explosion.

But as far as I know there weren't any explosions.

Meanwhile people have gotten electrocuted from downed utility lines.

Electric appliances suck. An electric stove is too slow to come up to temperature and a water heater doesn't recover as quickly as gas.

Not to mention you can't really power them full time during a power outage with a portable genny like your EB5000X.

We were cooking, doing laundry, taking showers AS USUAL even with the power off.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

These incidents is why I will stick with my electric appliances. Stove, Dryer and Heatpump.

said by Jack_in_VA:

I worked with enough gas at our power plant to last several lifetimes so I think I am fully qualified to have my beliefs. A gas furnace, water heater or stove is not in itself dangerous. They only become dangerous when DIY types who think they are experts start working on them.

In one quote you say you're sticking with electric appliances because of these incidents. But then you say that the appliances aren't inherently dangerous, but the problem is that people who are unqualified work on them. Wouldn't unqualified or DIY electricians be no different?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by cdru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

These incidents is why I will stick with my electric appliances. Stove, Dryer and Heatpump.

said by Jack_in_VA:

I worked with enough gas at our power plant to last several lifetimes so I think I am fully qualified to have my beliefs. A gas furnace, water heater or stove is not in itself dangerous. They only become dangerous when DIY types who think they are experts start working on them.

In one quote you say you're sticking with electric appliances because of these incidents. But then you say that the appliances aren't inherently dangerous, but the problem is that people who are unqualified work on them. Wouldn't unqualified or DIY electricians be no different?

They would but the subject issue is gas Gas Lines & DIY not electrical.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to fifty nine
A compression fitting seals on the section outlined in red here. Sealing has nothing to do with the threads on a compression fitting.

Regular pipe threads DO need dope or teflon tape or both.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal:

Not trying to nitpick, just clearing things up.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
said by PSWired:

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal

Yes. True all that.

I was thinking about the technical compressing sealing and not the name of compression fitting.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to Zach1
Click for full size
said by Zach1:

If Mythbusters failed, they must have done it wrong.

Here's someone that did it right:
»www.washingtonpost.com/local/poo···ory.html
--
Four more years of cronyism, payoffs, bad energy policy and 60's radicals being in charge. Thanks for ruining our country.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to Ken