how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON

Line Attenuation

So I recently ordered Electronic Box, just got on for the first time just earlier and noticed my Line Attenuation was at 57 db while on my other DSL line here it's at 53db.

Both are speedtouch516's on short cords beside the demac. I remember a tech came out years ago and he stopped the signal at my place preventing it from traveling down the road and looping back while he was replacing a coupling.

Anyone know the technical term for this or if you can even request this?

Both are currently synced at 3000/800 respectfully.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by weales:

A bridge tap, or just bridge.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to weales
said by weales:

I remember a tech came out years ago and he stopped the signal at my place preventing it from traveling down the road and looping back while he was replacing a coupling.

This is called, "cut dead ahead".

weales

Hampton, ON
reply to weales
So I asked support to see what their response was on this issue and got the following back.

As for your attenuation on the line there is not much that can really be done the attenuation on your line is not caused by a signal bouncing back to your place but rather a weakened signal over distance. The reason why both your lines don't have the same attenuation on them is because both of your lines don't connect to the same card on Bell central office and your new line must have more length to it than your previous line.

I know for a fact my other line was the same attenuation before they cut the signal to my place.

Really not sure where to go from this cause it just seems dumb that I can't get the same stats on both lines that have been in the house for over 16 years.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Are you fine with 3008/800 or are you trying to bring both lines to higher sync rate (for MLPPP perhaps)?

If not, then as long as the line is stable at 3008/800, asking for the attenuation to be reduced simply because you want to match your other line is not a reasonable request... Perhaps they could arrange for Bell tech to come out, but you would get charged I'm sure.

Also TSI's point is valid is that both lines may not necessarily connect to the same equipment at the CO. It could be a different CO or remote, or different equipment within a CO and the physical wiring is slightly longer.

Its been a while and I forgot how to check which BAS you're connected to. If they are different, then its most likely the issue.
--

weales

Hampton, ON
said by HiVolt:

Are you fine with 3008/800 or are you trying to bring both lines to higher sync rate (for MLPPP perhaps)?

More than satisfied with the profile, it's more about maintaining a stable connection cause I know with my original line it had issues with the 3008/800 profile before the tech came out and I'm trying to avoid the headaches I had last time.

said by HiVolt:

Also TSI's point is valid is that both lines may not necessarily connect to the same equipment at the CO. It could be a different CO or remote, or different equipment within a CO and the physical wiring is slightly longer.

Nah, only one CO around here. Not saying their point was invalid, just seems dumb that I can't have the same profile and stability.

I'll post some stats later on tonight.

eboxnat

join:2011-05-06
Montreal, QC
kudos:6
reply to weales
This is a tricky issue. As said by High Volt, requesting Bell's intervention for an issue like this may very well result in a DMC fee (95$). This does not guarantee that the issue will be resolved, just that they will investigate.

Are you experiencing connection issues/performance issues because of the higher attenuation?

There may be work-arounds, depending on the issue as a whole, If you can PM me your info I may be able to find some
--
Electronic Box Inc.
»ELECTRONICBOX
Natasha Contardi

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
as someone who Knows bells process intimately, bell techs do not care about reducing your attenuation, There is 2 Things they do when they travel to a wholesale customers home, Check for metallic on the line and test Sync/Surf If all of these pass. They Bill you a dmc and leave takes them all of 5 minutes to do.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC
reply to weales
You're probably right, attenuation often goes down when the pair is 'clear-capped' (our lingo out west).

The signal reflection is one thing (not quite related to attenuation but overall loop length is), but the explanation that 4db of attenuation can be chalked up to being on a different card in the same office is ludicrous.
--
- The content of this post is my opinion, and does not reflect the opinions of my employer. -