Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m2deux

join:2004-12-13
Copiague, NY
reply to Bob4

Re: Please post the Optimum App for Android .apk

Unsupported on my Acer A100. Message on startup says I have to download the newest version and then only gives me the option to download the DVR remote app. Why can't the app just disable HDMI out like disabling monitor out on my laptop?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to momcat1
So it works on my rooted Nook Tablet. Now if only Cablevision would release it "for real".

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to momcat1

Re: Why is Optimum Holding Back Android App

said by momcat1:

The 4th one is probably a box you returned in the past that didn't get removed from your account when it was returned. You're not getting charged 4 rental fees, are you?

Only charged for 3.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to Bob4
The 4th one is probably a box you returned in the past that didn't get removed from your account when it was returned. You're not getting charged 4 rental fees, are you?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to frdrizzt
The app shows I have 4 boxes when I really only have 3. I wonder if the 4th box is in someone else's house and I can change channels, turn it off, etc. He'll think the box is possessed!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to momcat1
said by momcat1:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

The only benefit is saving a small monthly cable box fee but is it worth it to use your device like a cable box?

I don't there is even that savings, from a STB fee, since when you run the app, it attaches to the STB's on the account, just like the laptop app does. So, if you have no STB on your account, it has nothing to key off of.

It doesn't latch to a STB to stream. You will get the same quality stream from the same source on any device using the Optimum App whether you have all HD boxes, all SD boxes, or a mix. The reference to specific boxes is only for remote control/launch/record/etc for various boxes, not any quality. You can view live TV without a box too (CableCard, for example).

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
reply to momcat1

said by momcat1 See Profile
I don't there is even that savings, from a STB fee, since when you run the app, it attaches to the STB's on the account, just like the laptop app does. So, if you have no STB on your account, it has nothing to key off of.

Only as far as it gives me the ability to watch on the TV set in my den without the monthly expense of yet another box (we already rent 3 boxes). Since we went all digital most of the channels that were clear qam are now gone. I don't watch television in here often enough to justify the extra expense. The ability to plug in the tablet on demand, even if the resolution isn't stellar, is an acceptable compromise to me. If I'm correct there's no additional "premium outlet" fee, either.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to momcat1
said by momcat1:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

The only benefit is saving a small monthly cable box fee but is it worth it to use your device like a cable box?

thats why i dont see the point in CV not releasing the app for devices that have an HDMI output.
Do they really think people will bother trying to copy it ? (it can be done though)
Even if you do copy it via HDMI, the streaming resolution is not going to be 1920x1080, the most is could be is 1280x720, so why even bother ?
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to IllIlIlllIll
said by IllIlIlllIll:

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to IllIlIlllIll
It's blocked on iOS version, and PC/Mac, so it makes sense that they do it for Android too.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to pa prowler
said by pa prowler:

said by slicer1138:

While its good that they finally released something to the Android Market,They are still holding the app back for some reason.

Other than the Kindle Fire they haven't 'approved' it for any tablets last I saw.

HDMI out, perhaps? Works on my unrooted 10.1" tab. Your post got me thinking about it, and i gave it a try. I was floored that it worked. Thanks!

i don't see the point blocking it from operating because of HDMI though.
The streaming resolution is no where near that from a cable box.
--

m2deux

Copiague, NY
reply to pa prowler
Was the file you moved via usb called kindle app.apk? Where on your Acer did you place that file? The download folder?

pa prowler

Matamoras, PA
reply to m2deux
I was getting that same message on my A500. . . so I downloaded it on my desktop machine, unzipped it there, then moved it to the tab via USB on a thumb drive. Could have done it that way or emailed it to myself as an attachment and got the .apk file there that way. Give either method a try.

m2deux

Copiague, NY
reply to slicer1138
Winzip for android app cannot unzip the Apk file on my Acer100. Error message says" Unsupported compression format". Anyone used a different unzip app that worked for the Kindle apk file?

pa prowler

Matamoras, PA
reply to slicer1138
said by slicer1138:

While its good that they finally released something to the Android Market,They are still holding the app back for some reason.

Other than the Kindle Fire they haven't 'approved' it for any tablets last I saw.

HDMI out, perhaps? Works on my unrooted 10.1" tab. Your post got me thinking about it, and i gave it a try. I was floored that it worked. Thanks!

slicer1138

join:2012-11-12
Paramus, NJ
reply to slicer1138

Other than the Kindle Fire they haven't 'approved' it for any tablets last I saw. Its not like they need to do any more development to get it to work. As you can see most users here are able to get the app working on their devices with out rooting or modifying the app in anyway.

The issue is Not Android Fragmentation, the issue is Not all the different device types, the issue IS Cablevision. I still don't see why they aren't releasing it to everyone.

Android currently is on more than 70% of all smartphones, and In the last year alone Android tablet shares have skyrocketed knocking ipad market share to down to around 55% and within the next year Android will most likely be on the majority of tablets as well.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to EO50

search on xda-developers.com. there are 2 version linked there, in different threads

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state
reply to momcat1
said by momcat1:

So I found the .apk, and tried it on my Galaxy Nexus (Jelly Bean) and it works.

Thats cool. Where did you find the .apk? I'd like to try it on my HTC EVO 4G. Thanks.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to rick0204

I don't remember where I saw it, but several people recommended that when you get those errors, the best thing to do is to force the app to close in Android and also clear data for the app. When you restart it after that, you won't get the errors. This is also true if you have the app installed on multiple devices, in which case also make sure you log out of the app on one device before you try to open it on another.

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to slicer1138
I was getting a few error messages over the weekend like - You are not subscribed to this channel, An error has occurred, This channel can not be viewed on this device. I restarted the phone and the router and all the error messages went away.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to slicer1138
said by Cablevision Systems Incorporated :

Optimum App for Android smartphones

Watch live TV anywhere in your home
Search, browse and customize the channel guide
Schedule recordings and manage your DVR
Choose from hundreds of On Demand movies and shows to watch or add to your Movie Cart
Use your device as a remote control
Rate movies and shows and even get recommendations on what to watch next

The Optimum App is now available on select Android smartphones.

»www.optimum.net/ExploreOptimum/f···57070183

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···YmlsZSJd

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 edits
reply to Calculata

Well, isn't that wonderful. Of the 4 Androids I have ever registered on Play, the only one it's listed as available for is the device that was stolen, I no longer have. Come on, already!

So I found the .apk, and tried it on my Galaxy Nexus (Jelly Bean) and it works.

I found a second version, and that one does work on the Vizio Vtab. It's a little choppy and the file size is larger than the one that works on the Galaxy.

I would have liked the experience better if Opt just broke down and made it available, without my having to sneak around to find it. A value added item to help me justify the crazy price we pay them.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to pa prowler

said by pa prowler:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

use the kindle app.
it will work as long as you keep the app open and dont sign out.
if you sign out or close the app, just go to "app manager" on your phone and clear data and then open the app.

Great stuff! Works quite well on Acer Iconia A-500 tablet. Thanks so much!

obviously, with a rooted device, no one would have to bother doing that, but my instructions are for non-rooted devices such as mine.
--

pa prowler

Matamoras, PA
reply to IllIlIlllIll
said by IllIlIlllIll:

use the kindle app.
it will work as long as you keep the app open and dont sign out.
if you sign out or close the app, just go to "app manager" on your phone and clear data and then open the app.

Great stuff! Works quite well on Acer Iconia A-500 tablet. Thanks so much!

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to slicer1138
as a premium paying customer, id like to have the app operational on my galaxy note 2 so i can watch tv while i am on the crapper.... lmao
--

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
reply to frdrizzt
Another benefit of using the app as a remote is that you don't have to be in the same room for it to work. I was in the kitchen where there is no TV and I made a mistake using the remote part of the app and everyone in the living room was upset because the movie they were watching stopped playing! Oops!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to rick0204
I've only used it as a remote when my son fell asleep on me this morning when the remote was across the couch.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
reply to slicer1138
It is working perfectly on my Bionic. Excellent job on the app. The video is sharp and the navigation is very easy. I only installed it yesterday and have already watched about 2 hours of live TV on my phone.

Calculata

join:2009-05-04
reply to frdrizzt

Please post the Optimum App for Android .apk

It was released on 11/28/2012. If you try to search for the app in the Gplay market it doesn't show up, but managed to find the direct url on xda.

They just released the optimum app for Android to limited devices here............

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···y.mobile

I am using a Nexus S. The app is not compatible. Hopefully someone has a device that is. If you can, please download it and export the .apk file here please. Been waiting for this app for a while.

I thought it would have been released a lot earlier, but I guess they pushed it back a long time.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to psilocybin

Says "Watch on Phone" on my Android app. I checked on BBC World News's info page. I'm guessing you're getting some cached info from the KF app.