share rss forum feed

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to momcat1

Re: Why is Optimum Holding Back Android App

Sounds like you're "not counting" a lot of things just because they're of no interest to you. Doesn't change the fact that CV has been more progressive/aggressive with new technologies compared to other large cable companies.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

OK, that makes no sense, whatever. DVR is one feature - one.

Yes, it's of no interest to me to tack on an extra $10 a month to record useless pap, so I can watch it again later. I wasn't going to watch it anyway. The stuff I do want to watch later is either on free pay per view or netflix or the network is re-running it so many times even I can recite the script.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to slicer1138

i found it quite easy to install and modify the app to work on my galaxy note 2.

anonn

@optonline.net
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Doesn't change the fact that CV has been more progressive/aggressive with new technologies compared to other large cable companies.

Like that great new channel guide that's been on hiatus since early October because they couldn't figure out to properly program it, while other companies have already had much more advanced UIs for years.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

said by anonn :

Like that great new channel guide that's been on hiatus since early October because they couldn't figure out to properly program it, while other companies have already had much more advanced UIs for years.

Didn't I mention that like 3 days ago? yeah, I thought so.

RayGeode

join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT
reply to Thinkdiff

Channel guide looks slicker than before but no better functionality. Still see only about 5 channels at a time. Where is the live thumbnail when surfing live ? Please, uverse outclasses by far.

DownTheShore
Russia Lies, Ukraine Dies
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to slicer1138

said by slicer1138:

said by Bob4:

said by Thinkdiff:

I'm with the other posters - where exactly has CV been behind the curve?

A channel guide that's not from the 1980's? A whole house DVR that actually works?

Not to mention how long it took them to get HBO go, or the fact that we still don't have access to ESPN3

Or the fact that it took them over 12 years to finally add BBC America?
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Sign the petition: »www.change.org/petitions/target-···ksgiving

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
reply to RayGeode

Very true. . . after living with it for a while, the novelty of the new look wore off, and I'm becoming aware of how it lags starting around 11PM when the date would change on the old guide. Same issues. . . picture and sound freezes, no program titles, no info. . . it behaves like this for an hour or more. I have two SA boxes with the same issue.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

said by pa prowler:

Very true. . . after living with it for a while, the novelty of the new look wore off, and I'm becoming aware of how it lags starting around 11PM when the date would change on the old guide. Same issues. . . picture and sound freezes, no program titles, no info. . . it behaves like this for an hour or more. I have two SA boxes with the same issue.

I'm confused. Are you describing the Android app, that's nowhere to be found? Or the new guide that we haven't seen either. This topic is about the Android app.

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA

Sorry, momcat, I was referring to the new guide and not the Android app (which I am patiently waiting for). I should have minded the topic of the thread.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to slicer1138

CV is actively scouring the internet looking for anyone who is providing a download link to a "recompiled" version of this app that will work on all android platforms and is immediately taking them down.
This isn't surprising.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to slicer1138

app is live

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by cabletecht:

app is live

sorry, i dont see it officially posted yet (only for the kindle fire), unless you have some sort of a link ?
»www.optimum.net/ExploreOptimum/f···55786369
--

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to slicer1138

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···iaWxlIl0.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

2 edits

Click for full size
useless !
it says its not compatible with my galaxy note 2, sgh-t889, its stock and not rooted, jelly bean 4.1.1 - this app is useless !
looks like this is just an updated version for the kindle fire.
im very disappointed as a paying customer to know that everyone else can have their "TV on their smartphone" while i cannot.
i pay a premium price for CV services and i feel i deserve to have accessibility to this app without having to play this game of "tag".
i should not have to "modify" this app to make it work on my smartphone (its simple as clear the data, open the app, stay signed in and minimize it, if you close the app, you have to clear the data again), should i really have to go through that ? no.
--

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

2 edits
reply to cabletecht

Google Play is indicating this application is not compatible with my AT&T Galaxy S3 (Android v4.0.4). I guess one of the best selling Android phones is not part of the "select Android phones" that the App is designed to support.

I e-mailed Cablevision about this issue using the address provided on Google Play.

This may explain why it is hard to find this App on the Google Play (it is not listed on the initial search results on the phone - but if you view all results it is there)

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
reply to cabletecht

It tells me my device is compatible on the web, but not on the phone itself. Bummer.

Samsung Stratosphere running Gingerbread.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

3 edits

get the APK on your phone, it will install and operate fine.
if you sign out or close the app and then re-open it, it will throw and error about not being compatible for this device.
just go to app manager in settings, clear the stored data and then re-open the app.
this procedure is for non-rooted phones like mine.
i got the APK (kindle fire app version 3.0) that will work on any android if you follow the procedure above, if anyone wants it, send me a PM with your email address (your email must be able to receive a 13MB file), you could alternatively find the APK on the web but "security" at CV is being di_ks and taking them down as fast as they're put up.
i would put it on my server for download but id rather not run the risk of "cease and desist" and the problems resulting from it for an app that SHOULD work on all android devices.
--

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

My AT&T GS3 does not provide an install/download option. given it believes the App is incompatible. Is there a way to force a download and then install?

Nevermind - I download with my PC and it then installed to my phone

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY

I take it back, it started working with no additional work by me.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by frdrizzt:

I take it back, it started working with no additional work by me.

how about sending the APK my way ?
there should be no reason why this app should not be compatible with my device.
--

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

It installed on my Bionic but it says I am not home so I will test it tonight. At last!

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ
reply to frdrizzt

Yes, the incompatible message is now gone and I am able to install the App to my GS3 normally.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ
reply to frdrizzt

Yes, the incompatible message is now gone and I am able to install the App to my GS3 normally.

Live TV streaming seems to work over my WiFi.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to slicer1138

app now finally appears on CV website.
»www.optimum.net/ExploreOptimum/f···57070183
but the download link (google play) is for the DVR manager.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

Search Google Play for "CSC Holdings" and it shows up on the search results.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

2 edits

Direct link to Optimum App on Google Play:
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···y.mobile

Too bad it'll probably never be compatible with the HP TouchPad... now to find the APK.

Edit: If it doesn't show up in Google Play on your device, for whatever reason your device is "incompatible".

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to rtbond

said by rtbond:

Search Google Play for "CSC Holdings" and it shows up on the search results.

app doesnt appear.
--

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ
reply to slicer1138

The app works with my AT&T Samsung galaxy s2. No dice w/ my Galaxy tab 2.0 however.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Were you able to install it via PC from the link above?