Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken

Re: Generator Time!!!

About which part? The co's having a life of 7 years? Or smokes at 10?

Either way, you want to explain it to me, as well as the manufacturer?

I will add a caveat - 7/10 years, or as per the manufacturer's instructions; whichever comes first...

------

Edit - supporting links:

»www.usfa.fema.gov/downlo ··· arm.html

How Long Should Your Smoke Alarm Last?

Smoke alarms have a useful life of about ten years. At that age they should be replaced, even if they seem to be working. This will assure that the alarm will be working when you need it.

»www.kiddecanada.com/utcf ··· ,00.html

Smoke Alarms
Kidde offers a wide range of smoke alarms to suit your needs. Two different technologies exist to detect smoke: ionization and photoelectric.

Own both types for complete protection. Dual sensor alarms are also available. Smoke alarms do wear out, replace your alarm every 10 years.

»www.firstalert.com/

DID YOU KNOW?

Carbon Monoxide Alarms should be replaced every 5-7 years.

Smoke Alarms should be replaced every 10 years.

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends replacement to ensure the most effective protection and prevent nuissance alarms.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

Carbon Monoxide Alarms should be replaced every 5-7 years.

That makes sense as there is an ongoing chemical reaction. Furthermore, once a CO detector goes off it should be replaced.
said by LazMan:

Smoke Alarms should be replaced every 10 years.

With optical sensors I'd agree. LEDs dim in time and the photo sensor may be unable to detect the smoke.
Ionization sensors - makes no sense. The half-life of the Americium used is over 400 years. Furthermore if for some reason the flux of particles decreases (dust, smoke, reduction in activity) the alarm goes off. At most it will be more sensitive and maybe give false positives.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

The ones we had that came with the house were going off, false alarm in the middle of the night, no smoke to trip them off.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
My post was in reference to your remark about CO detectors.
I am fully aware of the "10 year" smoke detector, but in the past 18 years of working in the life safety industry, I have never seen one last beyond 6 or 7. Smoke detectors (not smoke alarms) last far longer then 10 years, and with proper cleaning will be trouble free.
CO detectors have been on the market for quite some time, but for the most part it is a fairley new technology. In 2008 when they 1st started to be produced at a consumer grade level, they only had a life span of 3 years or so. Now they max out at 7.
The CO detectors we sell and installed are manufactured by System Sensor. They have a complete resource page for any quesstions you might have about these devices. www.systemsensor.com
As for kiddie products,they have a broad line of detectors for many different types of applications. Thier warranty aslo varies with each model. The warranty ranges from 5 to 7 years. I do not have any in my home and nor would I recommend them. The type I have use and recommend are not purchased at your local box store or home improvement center.