Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

userofdsl

join:2000-07-31
Brighton, MA

1 recommendation

[CallCentric] Current Status of Callcentric

With proper equipment settings as previously discussed, is Callcentric now functioning entirely normally despite ongoing DDOS attacks?

Is MWI working? Is everything else working?

Iscream, what is the status of testing/verification of the various fixes/changes put into place recently?

I had to port out to T-Mobile prepaid during the Sandy outage but want to port back to VoIP. An again-working CC is among the options I would like to consider.

DBOD

join:2012-10-17
Service is as good as it was prior to all the DDOS garbage.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by DBOD:

Service is as good as it was prior to all the DDOS garbage.

That's what I've been waiting to hear. I'll turn off my call forwarding to CWU and again use CC as my primary line.

Next up: Re-do everything I just did with my new Obi 100.

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
reply to userofdsl
7 days up time on my OBi - no problems.

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to userofdsl
I cannot say about "everything else" - for obvious reasons.

But according to our own internal functionality and external degradation testing - the service appears to operate as in pre-DDOS state (we've reversed many quick changes applied; left only those which were relevant to actual code optimization or attack suppression).

We've even already dramatically reduced the number of SBCs "visible" on all levels - "A" and "SRV" as well as reduced UDP ports announced (by DNS SRV) for registrations (may be dynamically changed if case of "sudden" fire at us).

All recently deployed resources are ready to be engaged again, but in order to simplify configuration of customer devices (and to get around some bugs discovered and still possibly left within their firmware) only limited number of records (and relevant ports) are being announced by DN servers.

A several harware based high bandwidth borders' guarding lines of defence have been installed as well as special SIP "garbage" controlling request preprocessing layer also deployed. Some additional intrusion detecting/preventing systems are still in process of being deployed or operated in testing mode.

I hope that an additional news update will be made when we're able to reasonably believe that our borders are sufficiently [for today/tonight state of the Internet] guarded and closed.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
reply to userofdsl
Everything is working normally for me. I haven't had any more choppy calls and the MWI (voicemail light) is now properly working. For me, it's just as good as before the storm/attacks.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by Sly:

Everything is working normally for me. I haven't had any more choppy calls and the MWI (voicemail light) is now properly working. For me, it's just as good as before the storm/attacks.

Same here.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Just tested my MWI -- works fine. I had forgotten that had been an issue (I hardly ever get VM). Everything else is back to CallCentric quality. (Has been for me since the power came back up.)

advocate99

join:2011-03-08

1 recommendation

reply to userofdsl
I've examined my logs over the last seven days and agree that Callcentric is considerably better.

However, my logs still show some registration errors (3 days ago) and at least one friend of mine is reporting trouble with receiving calls on his DID. His complaints, however, are atypical, and so they may not be related to the DDOS attacks.

So, I am not willing to give CC the "all clear," but I'd say that they are substantially improved.

I remain convinced that CC will eventually have service levels restored to 100%, and when they do, they'll likely be even better than the competition than they were before the DDOS and power outage issues.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
To "advocate99":

I do surely understand where your logic and appraisal come from and I'm thanking you for it - it's very important for us to account customers' (outside) personal/gut feelings about the service.

But, purely technically speakings - there is nothing left to be "restored" - it's restored 100%. This is some objective rather than subjective spec within our internal functionality (not counting ever growing/scaling factor). It had been tested (as admitted above) by internal logic compliance test suite as well as by external degradation/regression testing suite (including performing MOS scores).

Someone's log files are a "subjective" measure - they may show lost registration{s} due tho their own packet or Internet loss or a loss of one registration record while at least two or more are still valid (because Callcentric SBCs allows multiple simultaneous registration records from the same device made to a number of different SBCs - this is a very special SBC redundancy/resiliency/maintainability feature; if/once one record expired due to some reason - other remaining records will still be used).

Also, the one's log may show a lost registration (again - only for a single record/SBC) due to SBC's restart because of some maintenance performed to it - that doesn't mean at all (and I may ensure it) that device's registration was lost in total - incoming calls would still go through because CC's SBCs keep redundant registrations thus knowing where to deliver a call.

I can't comment about your friend - that is being totally from another, quite subjective universe )

Thank you very much for being _convinced_ for us!

Edit: forgot to notice/admit - from customer service prospective the service is not fully restored yet due to large number of tickets still being pending in our support's queue. I hope this lag will soon be rectified, perhaps within 3-6 days and the ticket response times will be back to under one hour even on weekends.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to userofdsl
All clients and me to say........

Things are "Normal"

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Iscream
said by Iscream:

....Someone's log files are a "subjective" measure - they may show lost registration{s} due to their own packet or Internet loss or a loss of one registration record while at least two or more are still valid (because Callcentric SBCs allows multiple simultaneous registration records from the same device made to a number of different SBCs - this is a very special SBC redundancy/resiliency/maintainability feature; if/once one record expired due to some reason - other remaining records will still be used).

Also, the one's log may show a lost registration (again - only for a single record/SBC) due to SBC's restart because of some maintenance performed to it - that doesn't mean at all (and I may ensure it) that device's registration was lost in total - incoming calls would still go through because CC's SBCs keep redundant registrations thus knowing where to deliver a call....

Good to know this - though I had not analysed things to that depth like some folks have - only the status screens of the CC portal and my ATA.

engineerdan

join:2006-12-07
Manassas, VA
reply to userofdsl
said by userofdsl:

With proper equipment settings as previously discussed, is Callcentric now functioning entirely normally despite ongoing DDOS attacks?

I've been hesitating to say so... (I didn't want to jinx them.)

But, yes! From my perspective, across multiple accounts and Asterisk PBXs, it appears as though we have experienced a return to normalcy.

Callcentric has fought quite a battle over the last month. Now that this seems to largely be behind them, I hope the people of Callcentric enjoy a well-earned sigh of relief. I also hope they know how much we appreciate what they do.

Anon12345

@comcast.net
reply to Iscream
I haven't been following the long long CC thread. Does CC have any future plan to add geo redundancy of their servers?

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to userofdsl
So what are recommended settings to use now with OBi 202?

CC configuration page here: »www.callcentric.com/support/devi···i/obi202 has callcentric.com for everything, srv.callcentric.com is not used anywhere.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
You may use any combination which works for you. Old settings, new settings or anything in the middle - anything goes now ).

I'd recommend using "srv.callcentric.com" for everything.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Iscream:

You may use any combination which works for you. Old settings, new settings or anything in the middle - anything goes now ).

I'd recommend using "srv.callcentric.com" for everything.

The reason I was asking is that from another thread I learned (not 100% sure though) that OBi 202 SRV implementation is incomplete and using it for CC causes OBi to reboot sporadically. Is this correct?

hmishra
Premium
join:2006-01-04
Flower Mound, TX
For requesting beta firmware released for this very purpose, refer to the Obitalk forum thread below:

»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4470.0

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by hmishra:

For requesting beta firmware released for this very purpose, refer to the Obitalk forum thread below:

I don't want to be beta tester. CC is my secondary provider.

Was I correct when I said that current OBi firmware causes OBi to reboot if SRV is used?

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

It used to do so (self-rebooting when SRV was used when device couldn't get all records returned in one buffer).

Not anymore because, after getting the attack under control, Callcentric has reversed all its settings to those which were prior the DDOS attack started (thus domain servers are now fitting all returned records in one UDP packet).

I'm not saying that Callcentric won't use the new settings ever - those are much better, robust, provide better resiliency against failure and better maintainability, but at least until most vendors have fixed issues related to DNS SRV implementation - there is no more rush to enforce them (well, unless "circumstances" may "force Callcentric to do that again).

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
So, is the DDoS now over or are you now down to handling it as a routine issue? Either way, great job! Withstanding it via robust intervention, either until they've moved on to other targets or to the point where it's no longer working for them, is quite an accomplishment.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to userofdsl
Works like a charm for me.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to userofdsl
Maybe the DDoS attackers moved over to the provider that all the naysayers escaped to..... LOL. Just kidding.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Garry - I can't answer your question publicly, but thank you very much for support!

Also, if I may ask something:
Fellow DSLR's -please, don't set this thread on fire...

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to Telco
said by Telco:

Works like a charm for me.

Me too. Faxes in and out as well. Now only if CC supplied the ink...

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by hmishra:

Was I correct when I said that current OBi firmware causes OBi to reboot if SRV is used?

That was an OBI issue there was or is a beta firmware. For all I know it went live now,

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by nonymous:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by hmishra:

That was an OBI issue there was or is a beta firmware. For all I know it went live now,

The issue was apparently related to changes made to the SRV records... the number of SBCs, ports, weights, etc. These changes were made during the DDoS attacks to improve service.

According to Iscream See Profile, the SRV records are now back to the original settings, so this should be fixed even if you don't have the beta firmware.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld
reply to userofdsl
Glad to hear that CC is mostly back up! Perhaps they'll consider geographic redundancy, at least for E911... someday.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to VexorgTR
said by VexorgTR:

Maybe the DDoS attackers moved over to the provider that all the naysayers escaped to..... LOL. Just kidding.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fukitol
Love your nick. That's my own, best "prescription" against everything, for many years )

Yes, some hardware/technically possible geographic redundancy (like off-site WEB with DNS, mail servers and complete replica of customer records - in order to continue customer support) is on the very close implementation plan.

Some other parts - like those related to actual physical interconnections with carriers, tandems and Internet backbones - those are not just a "geo-r" those are related to complete second/satellite and manned business location, preferably in another country - are much farther now then they were a few months ago due to extreme expenses incurred to fight DDOS, dramatic increase in calling and registration capacity as well as those caused by the hurricane. Bur we'll do everything possible for/at our budget. Thank you.