uniqs
share rss forum feed

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to obannon1

Re: [Availability] Dsl availability

said by obannon1 :

I am not ranting. why would at&t not want to offer a product if it is available. There is no uverse in the area as an option. Probably will not be for sometime as they dont want to upgrade the existing fitl system .

wait at a minute...earlier you were posting under a comcast.net domain...now, you're posting under a bellsouth domain...

so which service do you have since both isp's domain shows up in your posting...??

ATT may have the product available but not exactly for you since dsl subs are connected to ports in a dslam [hope I got that right]...if the ports are full, then you have to wait for one to open up before they can give it to you.

same issue this poster has...»[Availability] Previous owners had dsl I can't get it going craz

OR

like what NetFixer See Profile said..

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by medbuyer:

wait at a minute...earlier you were posting under a comcast.net domain...now, you're posting under a bellsouth domain...

so which service do you have since both isp's domain shows up in your posting...??

He's probably using the universal ISP: Linksys

said by medbuyer:

ATT may have the product available but not exactly for you since dsl subs are connected to ports in a dslam [hope I got that right]...if the ports are full, then you have to wait for one to open up before they can give it to you.

Since the OP used the term ONU in the original post, and later defined the service as FITL, that itself is the explanation. AT&T has been limiting (or just plain denying) new DFITL and IFITL internet access service for quite some time...they just want to pretend that it never existed, and if they ignore it (and their customers) long enough it will eventually cease to exist.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
said by NetFixer:

Not so universal, here. Mine used to say, "PACEnnn" before I changed the SSID, then turned off the radio. If I wanted to hide in this forest, I'd reset the SSID to, ATT666!

My wireless neighborhood.

Occasionally see, "2WIREnnn" listed, as well.

(I don't have AT&T Internet service.)
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by NormanS:

said by NetFixer:

Not so universal, here. Mine used to say, "PACEnnn" before I changed the SSID, then turned off the radio. If I wanted to hide in this forest, I'd reset the SSID to, ATT666!
»/r0/download/2···WiFi.png

Occasionally see, "2WIREnnn" listed, as well.

(I don't have AT&T Internet service.)

I chose the Linksys SSID for a reason. Linksys routers still seem to setup up an open WiFi connection by default. Most other manufacturers these days will use a default password and setup an encrypted connection out of the box.

Notice that the Linksys connection highlighted in your screen shot is an open connection? Here is a WiFi scan that I just did from my notebook, and the Linksys connection shown in that scan is also open.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by NetFixer:

Notice that the Linksys connection highlighted in your screen shot is an open connection? Here is a WiFi scan that I just did from my notebook, and the Linksys connection shown in that scan is also open.

Yes, the "linksys-guest" is unsecured; but I wonder if it is intentional. The "linksys" reports, "WPA2-PSK". In fact, except for the "linksys", all routers report, "WPA2-PSK, 802.11n".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work