share rss forum feed

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Ken

Re: Gas lines and DIY

On the plus side, your gas bill will be much lower next time you re-up.

I'm also on an LP tank, but we had pro-installers put everything in.
The only thing I did was the line from the floor tap to the dryer.

You better believe I used plenty of dope. We left it as is with the lp supplied and then went back 2 days later with a black light, and the sniff test.

It seems to have passed.

I had a friend come back with an off-gas detector (he works for the local gas co) and that did not detect anything either.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
said by Aranarth:

You better believe I used plenty of dope.

Applying excessive dope is just as much as a rookie mistake as not using enough. It's not likely to be a safety concern in a residential application, but it will invariably lead to damaged or inoperative gas appliances.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Not only that, but you don't use dope on the flex line from the valve to the appliance.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
said by robbin:

Not only that, but you don't use dope on the flex line from the valve to the appliance.

You don't? What do you use then?

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
I'm figure he means the flare fitting on the supply and flare fitting on the appliance, which are a machine fit. If that leaks toss the fitting and get new ones.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Nothing on a flare fitting.. !

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by robbin:

The threads on flare fittings and compression fittings are not there to act as a seal against leakage. They simply apply pressure against the connection to force it to seal properly. Using pipe dope on those is a waste of time and pipe dope.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to robbin
don't worry I used the right amount - just enough to cover the treads and only on the pipe so the excess is on the outside of the pipe, and I used the stuff that came with the flexline which I assumed was dope...

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to fifty nine
A compression fitting seals on the section outlined in red here. Sealing has nothing to do with the threads on a compression fitting.

Regular pipe threads DO need dope or teflon tape or both.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal:

Not trying to nitpick, just clearing things up.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
said by PSWired:

Technically the sealing mechanism in that fitting you showed is compression, but the trade name for it is a flare fitting. A compression fitting is the type that uses a crushable sleeve around the exterior of a pipe to create a seal

Yes. True all that.

I was thinking about the technical compressing sealing and not the name of compression fitting.