spc
uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to armed

Premium Member

to armed

Re: Which smartphone is the most secure?

You made a valid point. I guess we should distinguish security and privacy.

If by security you mean the ability to prevent hacking that maybe possible--up to a point.

As for privacy you have none with a cell phone. Bob et al listen in on and/or track them.

BTW I'm talking about consumer cell phones. Military and/or secure gummint phones are exempt from the above.
armed
join:2000-10-20

armed

said by StuartMW:

You made a valid point. I guess we should distinguish security and privacy.

If by security you mean the ability to prevent hacking that maybe possible--up to a point.

As for privacy you have none with a cell phone. Bob et al listen in on and/or track them.

BTW I'm talking about consumer cell phones. Military and/or secure gummint phones are exempt from the above.

I agree that cell phones can be tracked as compared to wired phones. But then again wired phones don't move much. But Bob knows if you have a wired phone and Bob knows how to get to it. I see real time tracking by Bob as a potential problem if Bob is going to ignore the Constitution IE not obtaining warrants first. On the other hand replicating your positions after the fact in an investigation does give Bob a tool he didn't have until one got a cell phone.

I am not aware that tapping is any more prevalent or easier on cell phones than on land lines.

On the issue of privacy I do have a question. Is a smart phone any more revealing than a dumb phone (IE real time tracking and line tapping)?

Now back to data security. It may well become a bigger problem in the future but almost everything I read today talks in terms like "might be", "may in the future be used for", "could become" etc. I don't see a lot of information that say that virus and hacking of cell phones is even close to the problem that is going on with normal computer use today.

To be truthful I am beginning to feel I'd be safer today doing my banking and etail shopping via cell phone as compared to using the computer.

But thanks for helping to separate out the issue between privacy VS data security on smart phones.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by armed:

On the issue of privacy I do have a question. Is a smart phone any more revealing than a dumb phone (IE real time tracking and line tapping)?

Well most smartphones have built-in GPS which provides better positional accuracy than cell tower pinging (all most dumb phones have) but tracking is tracking whether to the foot or hundreds of feet. And as for being monitored (listening in) I don't think there's any difference.

That said Smartphones have built-in browsers and along with GPS tracking (through the browser or apps) is a privacy nightmare IMO. The Telco's along with Google/Apple collect vast amounts of information this way.

I don't have a Smartphone (refuse to) and although I did buy an Android device recently it is wi-fi only. I'm sure it phones home stuff to Google but probably no more than they already have from my PC's (same public IP after all).

Back to original discussion people sometimes lump privacy & security together when talking about "security". For example this forum is about both.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to armed

to armed
Actually, as far as voice privacy is concerned, a Smart Phone could potentially be the most secure of all of one installs a voice scrambling app (the person they're talking to would need it too).

Or, avoid the voice call all together and communicate voice over a secure data tunnel.