All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pulsar777
join:2009-12-21

pulsar777

Wireshark

will Wireshark sniff all network traffic it run it from VMware workstation?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 recommendation

Brano

MVM

It will sniff all traffic on a specific interface that you let it sniff on.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to pulsar777

MVM

to pulsar777
You will also want to check into "promiscuous mode' and read up on what it does.

Also if you have any sort of (private) VLANs, be aware what it does to any captures you try and take.

Regards

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead to pulsar777

Premium Member

to pulsar777
I've had some issues with it and protocol offloading. I've had to disable it to get good captures before. I never really read into the nuts and bolts of it, mostly because I don't care, but it's something to be aware of.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

1 recommendation

norwegian to pulsar777

Premium Member

to pulsar777
said by pulsar777:

will Wireshark sniff all network traffic it run it from VMware workstation?

Is this the network the VM is connected to? If you have connected the VM to your hardware then it should, why would you think otherwise? But as Brano See Profile mentioned you have to select a specific interface though.

Just FYI
»ask.wireshark.org/questi ··· ame-host
»ask.wireshark.org/questi ··· machines
»www.petri.co.il/using-pa ··· work.htm

The 3rd link helps explain what HELLFIRE See Profile is referring to.

Edit: If you are serious and really want to research I think you would need to setup a separate computer and hook it in between the 2 devices you want to monitor, but then you might need to explain more for those experts out there to help understand what you are aiming at doing specifically to give you the feedback and or answers you are after.
pulsar777
join:2009-12-21

pulsar777

so Wireshark running on the VMware virtual machine can analyze traffic on the physical network. That's what a wanted to clarify.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Yes.

I will let this good person's reply help you.

»ask.wireshark.org/questi ··· n-vmware

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to pulsar777

MVM

to pulsar777
said by pulsar777:

so Wireshark running on the VMware virtual machine can analyze traffic on the physical network. That's what a wanted to clarify.

Yes. See the above link posted by norwegian See Profile. If the VMware is on linux you'll be using tcpdump to capture the packets which you can later load and analyze in wireshark on any other machine.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

does it do anything if you are on a switch (I mean yeah, it could sniff all the packets going on all the virtual machines on a physical one)

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

Yes you can port mirror then on the monitoring system use wire shark to sniff.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

Don't you need some sort of administrative access to the switch? Its not like a vendor can plug in a laptop in the conference room and sniff out our emails during his powerpoint?

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

Yes you need admin access the the managed switch.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Managed switch is one thing, why would a standard switch even have an admin panel or anything controlling over the network? I can sniff my internal network via the router's switch.

I think a little more specific clarification is needed to discuss the depth's of sniffing.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

The vendor should never be exposed to anything but a guest vlan/wlan.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

And the OP's question might need explaining more, as there is a yes/no type answer to the question. Yes a VM will allow sniffed traffic. Will it allow all traffic to be sniffed? Depends on the network. Hence my comment initially on what is the network we are referring to from the OP, it is too broad a comment I'd think to give an exacting reply. Call me pedantic.