how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lunanox315

join:2012-09-27
Martinsburg, WV
reply to lunanox315

Re: 100kps Download Speed - Nothing Can Be Done?

Update on the Continuing Saga:

So, Concast basically told me that because I'm 650' from the road and they haven't extended the service the 1/4 mile down from my neighboring townhouses that it would cost me $7,000.00 to get Comcast. I asked if I could access the toenhouses that are 100' away from my property and not follow the road/power lines but Concast said they would need documentation showing a utility right-of-way.

Yeah...

So, I put in a complaint about Frontier with the BBB and finally talked to someone at Frontier's Consumer Relations. An actual name and number, finally! This nice lady told me that the congestion in my area is a known issue and that it should be cleared by November 30th or sooner. Now, I'm very excited by this information but am of course cynical, so I asked what would occur if the date came and went and no relief - would I still be changed the $150.00 early termination fee? The lady said she would work with me.

I also found out I can get 4g access through Verizon at my house, but to get the equipment and a decent plan (20gig limit Millenicom 3g/4g Hotspot) would cost me anywhere for 200-400 dollars. Still, it's nice to have an alternative!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Hey, the rest of WV knows that you folks in Berkeley County are all rich!

On the serious side, that really is discouraging.

lunanox315

Martinsburg, WV
said by Hank:

Hey, the rest of WV knows that you folks in Berkeley County are all rich!

On the serious side, that really is discouraging.

We're totally rich - we have the nicest cleanest Regional Jail around and a quarter mile down the road from the nicest cleanest titty bar around these here parts. That's how we make our money - get people drunk them lock them up - money both coming in and going out! :P

Arvo

@frontiernet.net
I've posted elsewhere here about my Frontiernet problems. I live in Hampshire County, about 2 miles outside of Capon Bridge. The CO is about 1000 yards down the road from us.

When I last spoke with "customer service" they told me that they don't know what the problem is, but they are working on it. They know that it affects many thousands of us.

After last year's Halloween snow storm, we were without DSL service for an entire month.

I am exceedingly frustrated, but don't know where to turn.

If it is not better by Friday, I guess I'll turn my AT&T phone into a "hot spot" for about another $25 a month.

Using the Frontiernet.net Internet speed test, my AT&T cell phone, through the entire Frontiernet infrastructure, gives me consistent downloads of over 5 Mbps through the Charles Town, Ashburn, and Bluefield servers. I get less than 0.1 Mbs through my DSL.

Arvo

Arvo

@frontiernet.net
I did receive an e-mail from tech support telling me they had planned on having the problem repaired by 11-14-2012, but due to unforseen circumstances, it wasn't going to happen. They don't know when the issue will be resolved.

I am again totally without DSL here at the house. My office is about 15 miles away in Virginia. My Comcast download there, before I left this afternoon, was a little over 25 Mbps. Upload was somewhere around 15 Mbps. Same cost as my 0.15 Mbps Frontiernet download average here.

With winter coming on, this is extremely worrisome. It bascially puts me out of business when I don't have service.

I didn't get a chance to talk with the AT&T folks today about turning our Android cell phones into hotspots. Here at the house, using the Frontiernet speed test sites in Charles Town and Ashburn, over the AT&'T network, I get a consistent download speed of just over 5 Mbps on our AT&T Android devices. We only use about 2 Mb per month total -- personal and office, so this should not be an issue with two phones with 5 Mb/month limits.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Arvo

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Hopefully you are getting credit from Frontier for the down time. I would escalate this up the ladder in Frontier. it is absolutely ridiculous that the issue is not being addressed.

qi6588

join:2009-05-19
Shepherdstown, WV
I can report some good news on this front. Yesterday morning my internet was out completely -- again -- but when I got home after work I noticed it was back up and running but at the 3MB speed instead of the usual 1.5MB speed. So, unless this is a cruel joke, I think they are starting to roll out some of the updates/improvements.

The speed seemed to stay fairly stable and fast for the entire evening. I'll monitor again tonight to see how it goes. I live in the north east part of Jefferson County, WV and had heard from local tech about improvements that were coming so maybe this is it?

It all seems so hard to follow since the June 2012 storm did widespread damage and then there were some widespread network shenanigans from August until now for many of us. Anyway, let's hope things are finally starting to move to an era of good, stable, sort of fast speed, and connectivity.

lunanox315

Martinsburg, WV
I'm so happy to hear that Q! I got a call from my father out on the other side of the ridge near Glengary, WV. They typically get 100kbps download (or worse) in the evenings as well but last night he was reading 1.5mbps at 8:30 pm! Unfortunately my internet is still a horrible mess, but maybe the fixes are finally going out to people! There are still some days left in November - I'm praying I can report something positive soon.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to qi6588
That is good to hear. Would like to see the same thing here, but still at 1.2/150.

arvo

@frontiernet.net
Our highest down load speed for the last several days has been about 0.12 Mbps.