how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bunions

join:2005-12-19
Philadelphia, PA

4 TVs & modem...how to run

Probably switching to comcast for internet within the month. Already have TV with comcast & figuring out the best way to run the wiring.

From what I read its not a good idea to have more then one splitter on the line going to the modem. Since already have a 4 way splitter, I am guessing a 5 way splitter would be ideal or should I split the main line with a 2 way..have one line go directly to modem and put the 4 way on the other line for the 4 tvs?

------------ modem
                                / 
main line ----< 2 way   
                                \
                                   ------ 4 way for tvs 

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
The way you show in your diagram using a 2 line splitter with one leg going to the modem and the other going to your existing 4 line splitter for your TVs is how I would do it. Modems generally seem to be more sensitive to line levels than set top boxes, so unless your connection is very hot, the lower loss from using a single two line splitter in front of the modem would likely produce the best results. If you are planning to do a self-install, just try it and look at the line levels in the modem to make sure that they are within specs.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to bunions
Yes that would be the best option. So your loss to the modem is only 4 plus cable length. Tvs will only lose 4 DB (rounded up)

bunions

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bunions
Yea most likely going to do this. Modem will be withint 20ft of where the main line comes into the house too. Even though main computer is in the back of the house, I really don't feel like drilling for a foot of solid concrete and fish the coaxial through it.

bunions

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bunions
now that I look at it, wouldnt a 5 way be the same loss for the modem as my above diagram?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by bunions:

now that I look at it, wouldnt a 5 way be the same loss for the modem as my above diagram?

That would depend on the splitter. The 2 line splitter would have a 3.5 db attenuation for each leg. If your 5 line splitter has a 3.5 db attenuation for one of its legs, then yes, it would be the same.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to bunions
Actually its a myth that a modem requires more signal than a set top box. Its in fact the opposite. But its not killing anyone to believe that so life goes on.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by rody_44:

Actually its a myth that a modem requires more signal than a set top box. Its in fact the opposite.

While it's true that most cable modems will work OK with input levels down to -10 dBmV or even less, if those levels are the result of using a many-way splitter, you need to make sure that the upstream power levels of the carriers the modem needs to transmit back through that loss do not start exceeding +52 dBmV.

bunions

Philadelphia, PA
reply to bunions
Do they even make 5 ways actually? I can't find them at all online...all i am seeing is 4 and 6

Doesnt matter. Going to do the 2-way & 4 way set up.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

you need to make sure that the upstream power levels of the carriers the modem needs to transmit back through that loss do not start exceeding +52 dBmV.

Agreed, but I would even put that at 50 dB to even more so allow for the inevitable fluctuations.

SJtech

@comcast.net
reply to bunions
PERFECT. make certain all connections are tight, and the line to the modem is in one piece, no splices. signal at the modem should be +/-7, return or upstream should be 51DbMv.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

said by SJtech :

return or upstream should be 51DbMv.

I think you meant 51 dBmV or lower.

As EG See Profile said, having a maximum upstream level of 50 dBmV or lower will allow for a few dB of fluctuation to the upside without running into any issues.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to bunions
I have three TVs and two modems (one for phone and another for Internet) and the first splitter is going to the Internet modem and a four way splitter going to the three TVs and the phone modem.

The Internet modem should always be on the first splitter as it needs the path of least resistance to the upstream channels since it needs to "talk back" to the cable plant. The only time TVs need upstream is for pay per views or VOD. Also the Internet modem also needs a clean signal.

You may also want to consider a tech install as they can check the signals and replace any bad drops or wiring.

C1K

@comcast.net
We have to know the signal levels coming into the house before anyone can give you a decent answer on this. Connect your modem to the line coming into the house and report back your signal levels.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to bunions
its the same as a 2way to a 4 way...just all in one piece.....somewhat of a myth.

2 way and 4 way.

and dont buy the gold junk.
--
I'm better than you!

flwpwr

@comcast.net
said by gar187er:

its the same as a 2way to a 4 way...just all in one piece.....somewhat of a myth.

2 way and 4 way.

and dont buy the gold junk.

more to gar point it should have printed on it [either in ink or stamped] a frequency rating of 5Mhz to 1Ghz however they choose to write it some say 1002Mhz, close enough. And the loss per leg which is usually stamped in the metal. You do not want a hybrid cable/sat splitter, their loss per leg is higher due to covering different frequencies. You probably don't want most of what they sell in lowes/homedepot/walmart/radioshack, instead go to the comcast office, if its close by, and just ask for a 2 way they should have no problem handing you one.

Cubbies

join:2009-12-11
reply to bunions
I suggest an evolution broadband 1-5