Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to Tig

Re: cement experts - does this look right?

said by Tig:

Jack, it's not about making the inspector look bad. Quite the opposite, It's about peace of mind. The engineer will prescribe a sound solution and that takes the burden off the inspector.
Besides, the OP asked for expert input. Civil engineer is at the top of that food chain.

Evidently you've never encountered a vindictive inspector have you? He/she can make your life pure hell from that minute on. A "sound solution" by someone that counters the inspectors determination does not take any burden off the inspector. More like puts a chip on his shoulder.

Give the inspector a chance. Good grief he/she has not even inspected it yet.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
^ That!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Jack_in_VA
]
Been there done that. We used to have problems with the plumbing inspector in this one town. He would make shit up just to fail inspections. Being Illinois, we have fairly strict state codes. A city/county may made additional requirements as long as it makes the code more restrictive than state, but you must have an ordinance to do so. The plumbers would play the game but when it would get out of hand a plumber would call his bluff. The inspector and plumber would go to Springfield and present their cases to the Department of Public Health. The DPH guy would excuse the plumber but hold back the inspector, to which he would give him an ear full. Needless to say they would get tired of this and would call the city to have him fired. They went through 6 inspectors in 4 years before they found someone that knew what they were doing.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by kherr:

]
Been there done that. We used to have problems with the plumbing inspector in this one town. He would make shit up just to fail inspections. Being Illinois, we have fairly strict state codes. A city/county may made additional requirements as long as it makes the code more restrictive than state, but you must have an ordinance to do so. The plumbers would play the game but when it would get out of hand a plumber would call his bluff. The inspector and plumber would go to Springfield and present their cases to the Department of Public Health. The DPH guy would excuse the plumber but hold back the inspector, to which he would give him an ear full. Needless to say they would get tired of this and would call the city to have him fired. They went through 6 inspectors in 4 years before they found someone that knew what they were doing.

Exactly what I was referring to. They can make life miserable.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Jack_in_VA
Sure I have. I had an inspector go off on me over a home I designed. I made an appointment to see him. We sat down, he backed off. I have a great relationship with that county now. If you're knowledgeable and respectful, it works out.
In the end, code is code. It's all in black and white.