Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
reply to MrPink

Re: [TV] Unable to Upgrade Tv Service

How about if my wife called and cancelled the internet access which I signed up for and received billing for many years until some day Cogeco decided to merge the two accounts and put them in my wife's name?

Even Cogeco agent acknowledged that they had a record of us having a dual account. But for unknown reasons only my wife's name appears on account today and therefor they would not speak to me. I can't even cancel my own internet account!

Do you still think I am wrong to be angry with Cogeco?

MrPink

join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

I do not know if Cogeco took it upon themselves to merge the accounts or not. Have you asked your wife if she has any memory of changes taking place to the account(s)?

Who's name is on the bill now and when did it change (if it did)?
Did the names on the billing ever change? Sounds like the account in its current form has been that way for awhile.

I am in no way saying that Cogeco is or is not at fault for the account holder on record. I'm saying regardless, the account is now in her name. Which brings me back to my original advice, just have her call Cogeco.

This doesn't seem to be something that warrants closing accounts and switching providers but that is your (or hers rather, as she will have to do it) prerogative. Just seems like an extreme response to a minor inconvenience.

Best of luck in whatever you decide...

Dingaan

Bath, ON
said by MrPink:

I do not know if Cogeco took it upon themselves to merge the accounts or not. Have you asked your wife if she has any memory of changes taking place to the account(s)?

Who's name is on the bill now and when did it change (if it did)?

I already said that the internet account was in my name originally so why question that? How they came to be merged into my wife's name only is anyone's guess. But Cogeco does have a record of the account at one time being a dual account. How that was changed without my knowledge could be interpreted as a privacy infringement.

One positive thing this has done, is allow me to investigate other possibilities. Cogeco's add on cost for moving from straight digital (no HD) with our owned receiver to rented PVR with HD is substantial. They would not offer us any promotional deal because we once had an HD receiver for 8 months, but returned it because signal was abysmal and techs could not fix that. It may still be like that in our location.

With Shaw, we eliminate the cable HD problem and get substantial new customer incentives.

Today, I signed up for an on-line Cogeco account (which we didn't have before and which I could do without my wife's permission!) I found that we were using less than 10% of allowable bandwidth most of time. So even if we stay with Cogeco for internet, we will probably downgrade our account and save a few $$.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

How about if my wife called and cancelled the internet access which I signed up for and received billing for many years until some day Cogeco decided to merge the two accounts and put them in my wife's name?

Even Cogeco agent acknowledged that they had a record of us having a dual account. But for unknown reasons only my wife's name appears on account today and therefor they would not speak to me. I can't even cancel my own internet account!

Do you still think I am wrong to be angry with Cogeco?

Not at all, unfortunately some agents show some inflexibility and like to be rigid and not realize that sometimes there should be some flexibility shown.

Perhaps if you try and call back again and get someone more beneficial and someone who might actually be a "Customer Service" representative.

What you should be able to do though is have your wife call and add you to the account, I know it seems ass-backwards, but you're not wrong to be angry with them...and its good to look at your other options.

Dingaan

Bath, ON
said by nitzguy See Profile

What you should be able to do though is have your wife call and add you to the account, I know it seems ass-backwards, but you're not wrong to be angry with them...and its good to look at your other options.
[/BQUOTE :

I think you summed it up well. A different attitude from the agent might have yielded different results.

The positive here is that I avoided a big mistake by upgrading our TV service from straight digital to HD+PVR. Even our digital is only just acceptable and from past experience HD pixilated very badly - techs never did fix it, so we went back to digital.

The current Shaw offer is attractive and eliminates the cable problem.