@videotron.ca

aaah

Anon

CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers

Click for full size
CNOC.pdf
24,513 bytes
The PDF
Brief: Rogers is doing speed upgrades and now has refused to give these speed upgrades to TPIA customers, which is against the speed match ruling.

CNOC's filing found here (Dated Nov 9th):
»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ ··· Lang=eng

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

CNOC makes reference to some 2006 Speed match policy (»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 6-77.htm), but wasn't this also ordered in the 2010 speed match fight?

Wasn't there policy created by all the filings from 2009 to 2010? Particularly this one »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -632.htm which was started by cybersurf in 2008 after they went tits up and sold to distributel?

Does the above not apply to cable as well? Seems it does. So why does CNOC reference a 2006 policy instead of a policy most all of it's members were already party to?

Also, instead of starting a new proceeding which will now be delayed, why didn't they file in Rogers new tariffs/speeds that they filed like over a week ago?

/Rant on: F&S I hate the CRTC website. I loose my marbles trying to find stuff and navigating that site. Need a gallon of coffee now after finding that one link above. Hope anonymous nukes them one day just for having an anal website. /rant off

Anyhow, seems this is open for public comment. Who is going to submit their comments? You have till Dec 10th.
hm

hm

Anon

Click for full size
Vaxination.pdf
573,037 bytes
Speed Match Filing
JF's (Vaxinations) submission to the CRTC.

Haven't read it yet.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Not JF's best work unfortunately.

I'll probably think of a few things, and file something myself as a consumer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

He tends to be too flippant in his submissions.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
I'm surprised JF is still doing this...

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to aaah

to aaah
"In the case of a highly visible Chatham based ISP"

I'm snickering that JF is doing the Lord Voldemort thing in his current submission, "You-Know-Who", "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" or "the Dark Lord".

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

I also got a laugh out of the 'ISP-who's-name-shall-not-be-named' gambit.

Either way I am happy to see that motions have gone out to rectify the current issue this will have on the competitive landscape for TPIA providers and end users.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

I also got a laugh out of the 'ISP-who's-name-shall-not-be-named' gambit.

LOL... JF's a bright guy, but he holds grudges like no tomorrow...

I remember during one of the hearings where there were audio transcripts, you could really hear him almost stutter where he had to mention TekSavvy by name... LOL

And then there's the grudge against DSLR... Silly wabbit.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

hm the hell with his hate for tek and now this site it seems. guy always seemed to be to have a huge ego and think he was more important then he really was.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Peter Nowak did a story about this:
»wordsbynowak.com/2012/11 ··· nternet/

I've sent him a tweet asking him about:
"The regulator has responded and is indeed expediting the application. Rogers has been ordered to reply by the end of this week, with a further rebuttal from CNOC due by the end of next week."
Because its not reflected on the Telecom proceedings page.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
heh his comment on "marketing" made me chuckle.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Asked Peter Nowak for the CRTC order, and here it is.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to TOPDAWG

Anon

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

hm the hell with his hate for tek and now this site it seems. guy always seemed to be to have a huge ego and think he was more important then he really was.

I doubt there is hate with TSI. More of a show to put distance from them in the eyes of others. Hate doesn't lead to those pictures of Marc, Rocky and JF hugging we always see. And who really cares if he really does dislike them? Does that bug you that someone doesn't like teksavvy? Seems to me you're a little over sensitive with your love for them. Meanwhile (and to inject a bit of reality here), he steps up to the plate for everyone, unlike the you who is ragging on him. You seem jealous of him. But if you can do a better job, I invite you to step up and do it... Otherwise... well, you know...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to resa1983

to resa1983
Somehow, I get the feeling that CNOC won't be waiting until the 23rd to file their response.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by resa1983:

He tends to be too flippant in his submissions.

It's perfectly adequate for the issue at-hand.
If Blais' "consumer focus" is to be believed, then JF's submission presents the matter in a very consumer-like manner that even Pentefountas should be able to understand.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

This so-called hate it nothing but forum conjecture and speculation fueled by the same sort of mentality that causes people to slow down at accident scenes hoping to get a glimpse of bodies 'n' guts 'n' gore.

I personally find his ego pretty much commensurate with his abilities and intellect, and of his importance in the grand telecom regulatory bullshit scheme of things there can be no dispute. He's had an impact, done a lot, and obviously intends to do more.

You could just, you know, break down and thank him.

Mike

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
This is all a game anyhow since Rogers knows the upcoming wholesale costing revision is going to lead to price changes.

Also makes me wonder how many people would need to upgrade to a doc-3 modem? Out of that, how many are new to TPIA providers and just bought their doc-2 modem which is now no good? Will resellers swap them out with just a price difference for these new customers?

Is there anyone here that would have to swap modems?

aaah
@videotron.ca

aaah to aaah

Anon

to aaah
In case anyone is trying to find what Rogers submitted to the CRTC that got this going, it can be found here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· /r28.htm
(#'s 28, 29, & 30)
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

1 recommendation

LastDon to aaah

to aaah
Some people that think JF has an ego have forgotten that his filling to the office of Tony Clement got a lot of media coverage and a lot of attention and woke a few people up.

Ego or not, he has helped a lot period. no ifs or buts.

Then N Than
@videotron.ca

Then N Than to TOPDAWG

Anon

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

guy always seemed to be to have a huge ego and think he was more important then he really was.

I don't know if i'm crossing the line here... you decide... BUT, JF knows how to use the words "then" and "than" properly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to LastDon

Premium Member

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

Some people that think JF has an ego have forgotten that his filling to the office of Tony Clement got a lot of media coverage and a lot of attention and woke a few people up.

Ego or not, he has helped a lot period. no ifs or buts.

Oh, no doubt he was instrumental in the throttling & UBB battles... I've always given him a ton of credit for it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

3 edits

Teddy Boom to aaah

Premium Member

to aaah
said by aaah :

In case anyone is trying to find what Rogers submitted to the CRTC that got this going, it can be found here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· /r28.htm
(#'s 28, 29, & 30)

Here are the proposed prices from 28:
End-User charge per modem – 0.5 Mbps Service**
End-User charge per modem – 0.5 Mbps Service** $11.97
End-User charge per modem – 3 Mbps Service** $12.31
End-User charge per modem – 6 Mbps Service $12.31
End-User charge per modem – 18 Mbps Service $14.25
End-User charge per modem – 25 Mbps Service $21.00
End-User charge per modem – 28 Mbps Service $19.06
End-User charge per modem – 32 Mbps Service $21.00
End-User charge per modem – 35 Mbps Service $21.68
End-User charge per modem – 45 Mbps Service $22.35
End-User charge per modem – 75 Mbps Service $22.69
End-User charge per modem – 150 Mbps Service $22.69
Strange....

Aha, their "rationale" for it:
With regard to monthly access rates (without usage), Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-703 (TRP 2011-703) approved a rate of $21.00 for monthly access for 25 Mbps speed. However, rates for 35, 45 and 150 Mbps speeds were not set in that Decision.
That's almost funny. They are saying that because Express is as good as Extreme used to be, now TPIAs should pay the Extreme price for everything.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

Aha, their "rationale" for it:

With regard to monthly access rates (without usage), Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-703 (TRP 2011-703) approved a rate of $21.00 for monthly access for 25 Mbps speed. However, rates for 35, 45 and 150 Mbps speeds were not set in that Decision.
That's almost funny..

Nor were there rates set for speeds of 6, 18, 28, 32, 75 or 150. But those respectively match the pricing for 3, 10, 15, 25 and 50.

And I was pretty much right in my speculation that Rogers is trying to pass these off as new tiers on the wholesale side, as compared to upgrades to existing tiers on the retail side.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Dunno if this is good or not, but CRTC just issued a new letter (per JF):

#CRTC issues a letter about Rogers new tariffs: comments limited to pricing for new speeds due Nov 20th. Alleged previous letter not seen.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Lol what? Why does jf hate DSLR? Is there some drama I missed?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

Lol what? Why does jf hate DSLR? Is there some drama I missed?

He claims they were blocking his IP so he didn't come back after the crash.

He still lurks here.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

#CRTC issues a letter about Rogers new tariffs: comments limited to pricing for new speeds due Nov 20th. Alleged previous letter not seen.

I have no idea what that means. Alleged previous letter? Only talk about pricing, but not availability?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

#CRTC issues a letter about Rogers new tariffs

I don't do the twitter. Mind asking him if he can upload it or forward you a copy, please.
said by resa1983:

comments limited to pricing for new speeds due Nov 20th.

Limit to price? That makes it easy...
Free. Just like Rogers own customers.

However, if I'm not mistaken (I only gave it the fast once over) 2010-632, which I linked to on page 1 of this topic, appears to give the cable-co's wiggle room as opposed to the ilecs (dsl). Would have to re-read it (which doesn't really interest me), but something about substantially more investment required on the cable-co's end versus the telco's.

So Maybe Rogers does have a point. And maybe this is why CNOC chose to ignore this policy in their filing. Dunno... But this does give Rogers undue preference.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Shrug

Premium Member

to Shrug
could careless about tek as last time I had service with them I was not a fan. Why would anyone be jealous don't be silly. I don't call him and rock having fights on here a front no point to it. people who saw a lot of the posts know what I'm talking about.