Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon

Re: We've passed Peak Apple....

said by Daemon:

said by sk1939:

I agree that in Samsungs case it was a case where the phones were similar, but it was not necessarily the case with the lawsuit against HTC. The question as far as looks go is how similar/different does a design have to be to not be "close" or a copy of Apple's design. That is the problem with the court case as they have not defined the boundary for such a broad design patent.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple didn't assert any design patents against HTC, so none of that case was about how HTC's phones looked.

One of the patents Apple sued on was design (afformentioned rectangle with rounded corners) as well as the use of a mutli-touch interface on a phone and others.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

One of the patents Apple sued on was design (afformentioned rectangle with rounded corners) as well as the use of a mutli-touch interface on a phone and others.

No, I think you're wrong. The list of the first 20 patents Apple asserted against HTC is here: »www.engadget.com/2010/03 ··· eakdown/

They later added 5 more in a separate complaint: »www.fosspatents.com/2011 ··· int.html

None of those are design related patents.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

said by sk1939:

No, I think you're wrong. The list of the first 20 patents Apple asserted against HTC is here: »www.engadget.com/2010/03 ··· eakdown/

They later added 5 more in a separate complaint: »www.fosspatents.com/2011 ··· int.html

None of those are design related patents.

Design of the GUI rather than the device itself.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

1 edit

Daemon

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

you can call them 'Design of the GUI', but they are still utility patents, not design patents.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

said by sk1939:

you can call them 'Design of the GUI', but they are still utility patents, not design patents.

Fact of the matter is though that Apple has sued quite a few companies over some portion of the iPhone at some point in time.