spc
uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to trparky

to trparky

Re: Can AMD survive?

Come on now. All of you AMD haters. AMD is not bad whatsoever.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

It's not hating on AMD - It's following the facts. They are losing market share, their products are not competing on the performance front and their management has made some pretty poor decisions.

Sure, they have decent products with low cost and such, but they are nowhere near as competitive as they were 10 years ago.

The question is legit - is their business plan viable in this market?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Come on now. All of you AMD haters. AMD is not bad whatsoever.

I want to see AMD survive as much as the next tech enthusiast, they keep Intel honest and innovating. But in the current market and seeing how they are doing as of late, I just can't see them surviving, at least... not as they are now.

AMD will have to do some major changes and do them soon. Bulldozer and Piledriver are flops if you ask any of the benchmarking and review web sites such as Tom's Hardware and Anandtech. Products can live or die depending upon those reviews.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

I wouldn't classify Piledriver as a flop. I picked up the quad core A10 for my little linux server. Trinity based laptops are amazing, and at the price points they can be had, are unbelievable.
Regretfully, I couldn't find a 13.3 that wasn't powered by the dual core.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to trparky

to trparky
I wouldn't say piledriver is a flop. Sure in single threaded applications is looses to intel, but in multi threaded it wins right now. the fx8350 is the same price as a 3570k, yet in multithreaded applications it performs on par with a 3770k(at stock speeds) for about $100 less. For multi-threaded stuff like compiling and some server stuff amd is still great. Just not a gaming cpu.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Most applications, even Office and business applications are single threaded. Games are too. So if you have a CPU that under-performs in the majority of what computers are used for today, that's a problem.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Yeah, you really think people will be able to tell a difference when using ms office on an amd cpu and not an intel one?
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
AMD does just fine in gaming. I'm still using a Phenom II 1090T coupled with a HD6870 everything runs at or close to max settings on a 1080p monitor.
Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, etc...
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I know they do, about 1/4 of the gamers I know use amd. Partially because we live near microcenter and amd cpus come with a free mobo. Sure the i3 may be better for games but most people I know don't think its $50 or more better.