share rss forum feed

Demo

join:2012-12-11
Evansville, IN

2 edits
reply to OSUGoose

Re: [Speed] YouTube HD videos very laggy - Lexington, KY

said by OSUGoose:

Wrong, if the tech rolls up in a Insight van, he's a Insight employee.

In Evansville trouble calls are routinely handled by subcontractors, though admittedly saying all was an exaggeration. In fact, of the 5 trucks rolled to my dad's house because of issues with them "upgrading" him to voip-based phone service, only 1 was an actual insight truck/installer. This may very well be different in your area.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to yakko9t98
Well I got a call at 2:30 from dispatch basically telling me its pointless for a service tech to come out as this issue I'm dealing with has been escalated regarding my node and over utilization. They had no time table on when it would be fix as there was a lot of red tape to cut through he said. Told him I've been told for a year that my node is "on the list" to be delt with and that this was the first since the new modem for the connection to totally throttle down to dialup when downloading and uploading at the same time. Got him to credit one month of RR for wasting my time at least waiting for a tech to show.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
reply to Demo
Wrong, if the tech rolls up in a Insight van, he's a Insight employee.

yakko9t98

join:2012-12-10
Evansville, IN
reply to OSUGoose
Yea they can read if that node is over utilized from their Noc. From Evansville it looks like the fiber right out is over utilized.

Now I do know that the RR fiber ring is half bad. One of the techs said one side of the ring is running clean and the other half is not. I have not seen a fiber map so I could not tell you if we are liked through the ring.

When I worked on the fiber rings for Windstream it was not a hard thing to figure out.

I really want them to fix it. Honestly though I am thinking of moving to Wow just to get away from Time Warner. Never thought I would say I wanted to move to Wow. But Wow's worst days are better than what we are seeing these days.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
reply to JThomas91
Up in Columbus I'm having a similar issue, and being told its a utilization issue. When I download and upload at the same time it cripples the connection.

ESP if Trying to watch YouTubeHD and letting it "buffer" and then on the same laptop upload to Google Drive nets me .10 DL. .68UL on speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com (We have Insight/RR up here). I was getting between 2000-3000ms latensey to RR in Columbus, 4th hop. So clearly it was a local issue that has been cropping up more and more since TWC formally took control in Feb.

It got real bad when the Tech was hear last weds and put in a new D3 modem, that I'm the first in the city to get. So whenever they roll out D3 speeds up here I'll be set, right now I have Insight/RR Turbo.

I have a "utilization" tech coming out Weds 12/12/12 we'll see what they say.

yakko9t98

join:2012-12-10
Evansville, IN
reply to JThomas91
Hello all. I stumbled across this as I was doing some searching and thought I would spread a little information.

As you all have probably read Insight was purchased by Time Warner Cable some months back. What you were not aware of is that the Insight backbones had not been switched over until they started with the Evansville Region about 4 weeks ago.

A few quick YouTube searches will show you something very alarming. TW throttles youtube traffic.

All of our bandwidth tests will check out sometimes. I believe there is still a utilization issue during peak hours. All of our tracerouts will also check fine. While performing tracert to youtube.com you will notice *-tbone.rr.com. RR is Time Warner's Road Runner internet backbone. Which leads to only a few different conclusions. A: they do not know how to fix this particular issue. Very very unlikely considering how large their network really is or B: they know and are actively influencing this type of outcome.

I am not sure what to do at this point. All information regarding the backbone switch was confirmed through various unnamed Insight employees who are in the same boat as the rest of us. The throttling is speculation at this point and cannot be confirmed except by TW. However I seriously doubt they are oblivious to this issue.

Not sure what to do at this point. But I wanted to share the inside information that I have obtained through weeks of testing and conversations.

Again any throttling or active influence is speculation and not to be taken as actual fact at this point.

koebner

join:2006-07-18
Lexington, KY
reply to aciddrink
I was having only intermittent buffering issues w/You Tube HD video, but I applied "the fix" and 1080p plays perfectly every time now.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to JThomas91
Thank you Demo, that workaround works flawlessly. Where I couldn't watch anything above 480p before, now I can watch 1080p flawlessly.

To test it out, I disabled the rule and sure enough, I couldn't watch videos in a decent resolution again. When I re-enabled the rule everything worked perfectly.

balazone
60 billion
Premium
join:2002-04-01
Wheeling, WV
reply to Demo
Good advice on the IP block. There is more info in this Reddit thread about TW and Youtube.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···_stream/

RayP

@insightbb.com
reply to Demo
Thanks man, blocking that IP with Windows Firewall definitely helped. It seems to work most of the time for me, with the occasional hiccup, but a definite improvement. After a day of using the workaround I disabled the firewall rule just to see if YouTube was still lagging without it, and sure enough yes it's still pretty unusable. After this many days it makes me wonder if Insight/TimeWarner is even going to address the issue.
Expand your moderator at work

Demo

@insightbb.com
reply to Demo

Field techs are really no help for this type of problem. They're all subcontractors and they're really not trained to handle networking issues much beyond checking the signal strength. I got the feeling there is tense almost adversary relationship with them and the people in the home office even, likely due to the TWC takeover. They don't seem to even have any direct contact with anyone much higher up the foodchain.

As a stop-gap I've completely blocked 206.111.10.x via windows firewall and it seems to resolve most, if not all youtube speed issues for me. YMMV and if there's other sites/servers in that range you won't be able to connect to them either, so it could have some side-effects.

To do so open up "Windows Firewall and Advanced Security" via start-search, run (wf.msc), or under "Advanced Settings" in the Firewall control panel. Once there you can follow this quick image guide I made to create a new rule: »i.imgur.com/WFszg.png

This will not help anyone having ping/packet loss issues. This is really only for those that have solid, fast connections for everything but youtube. There may also be more cache servers outside of this range having bandwidth troubles in prime-time. So again, this is not a fix, only a band-aid, use at your own discretion.

RayP

@insightbb.com
reply to YogiYahooeys
I have every TV package except for Starz, so that doesn't seem to be it. I dunno, I guess we just have to hope someone from Insight will take notice of this thread.

Demo

@insightbb.com
reply to Demo
The tech that came out the aforementioned appointment showed up literally at 7PM on the dot, and didn't have the right equipment on his truck to even complete the job. The incompetence level is at the point laughable. Spoke with his manager and he's scheduled to come out himself tomorrow afternoon. Besides the ass-chewing he's going to catch for the 1.5hrs I spent on the phone trying to explain basic networking to a tier 1 tech, and the brainless installer that shows up to fix it I plan to try and get an answer on the YouTube thing. I wouldn't hold my breath though...

YogiYahooeys

join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN
reply to Atron
said by Atron:

Does anyone with the issue purchase anything above the basic cable package. My conspiracy side of the brain is wondering if im being throttled into paying for cable television.

lol sad. I call and get a script from a call center. Please turn of my modem blah blah.

I've got everything on cable minus HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and the HD Pack, though I am subscribed to minimum 10.0 level speed...

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to Atron
I have Classic (via CableCARD), HBO, and internet and am also experiencing this issue. I can't watch 720P and above with it frequently stopping to buffer. I started out with 10.0 internet and was experiencing the issue so I upgraded to 20.0 and am still seeing it. My speedtests come back "normal", close to the 20/1.5 speed and 20ms or so pings.

I've verified with a friend who also has Insight in Lexington and it's doing the same for him.

Atron

join:2012-11-13
reply to JThomas91
Does anyone with the issue purchase anything above the basic cable package. My conspiracy side of the brain is wondering if im being throttled into paying for cable television.

lol sad. I call and get a script from a call center. Please turn of my modem blah blah.

iranintoavan

join:2004-06-11
reply to JThomas91
I'm having the same issue as well as about 3-4 other people I know that have Insight. I can't get more than about 100kB/s from the 206.111.10.xxx IP range. Sadly I feel there's not much I can do about it even though I know the source of the problem. There's just no way I could get high enough at Insight to talk to someone who even knows what that means.

BoToMaTiC

join:2003-10-29
Louisville, KY
reply to aciddrink
Be nice if we can get a reply from InsightTech5 on this issue or have it passed along to the proper people.

aciddrink

reply to JThomas91
Yep, Lexington still has the same issues. I'm getting good speeds in general, just cannot seem to stream without buffering on YouTube.

RayP

@insightbb.com
reply to Atron
Yeah things seem to be getting a bit ridiculous. In years past the only issue I had with Insight was their high prices, but the rock solid service always helped me live with that. Now it seems we're getting an increasingly less reliable quality of service for the same or a higher price per month.

Atron

reply to Demo
I am still having issues in bowling green, ky.
For me I have large packet loss with any steaming content (youtube, amazon steaming, netflix).
Just did a speed test and got 17down and 1 up.
20 meg service.
Technician has already checked signals etc, he replaced our modem out of spite.

Demo

@insightbb.com
reply to RayP
This is still a persistent problem in Evansville during prime-time hours. I've verified with 3-4 friends, all of whom live in different neighborhoods, and they are experiencing the exact same issue. My dad has a truck roll scheduled tomorrow for an unrelated matter and I'm going over there to let them in. I plan to mention the problem and hopefully demonstrate it as well, since it's scheduled for 5-7PM. I'll report back with any info I get out of him.

RayP

@insightbb.com
reply to JThomas91
I just noticed this problem today actually. I'm not sure if others are still doing it, but mine sure is. I have 20.0 service and have had more disconnects, packet loss, and overall connection quality issues than ever in just the past year.

Atron

reply to aciddrink
Insight technician came out on Saturday. I knew it wouldn't fix anything. But I wanted to document the issue. He replaced our cable modem. Even though I already knew signals were above average.

I don't know what to say at this point.

aciddrink

reply to JThomas91
The problem still persists with me. I can stream other services just fine in higher resolution (Netflix, Twitch.tv), but youtube will not stream at anything above 360.

Does not matter if it is prime time or 6am.

At this point since none of the insight reps have responded to this thread, I can assume they don't care about the issue. What step do you guys suggest we take? Calling a level 1 phone jockey will result in nothing (as we all know).

Atron

reply to Demo

[Speed] YouTube HD videos very laggy - Lexington, Bowling Green

The issue only exists during peak hours. Daytime and morning are not affected, In my experience with the issue the past week or two. I too have tried Google and open DNS' servers. No dice. 6pm hits and no yuotube 360p+.

JThomas91

@insightbb.com
reply to Singular

Re: [Speed] YouTube HD videos very laggy

I have, I've used OpenDNS, Googles and Insights DNS servers, and the same exact issue.

Demo

@insightbb.com
reply to Couch Potato

Update: This issue seems to have been resolved overnight/this morning. Transfer rates to the cache servers I listed are literally 10 times faster now (~1.5MB/s on the 20.0 package).

Couch Potato
What?
Premium
join:2004-08-29
Troutman, NC
reply to JThomas91
W.O.W. customers are having issues too... »Youtube Streaming Down
--
My posts are of my own opinion, not my employer's.