Zoom 5341J

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

mathfaster

join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

Argh!! I bought a 6121 a few weeks ago and then returned it as it was not on the approved list per the CSR. Oh well. Bought refurbed 5101U for $24 for standard service. Works just fine.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to hobgoblin

That's more like it (even though i'm not a TWC customer). Finally they've added some of the good choices out there (and some of the cheaper ones too like the 6121.)

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to hobgoblin

Glad to see this happening. Particularly since Austin's modem rental fee is now $3.95, according to my latest bill.

I'll be buying a Zoom modem before the month is out, so I'm somewhat future-proofed...and I'll break even in less than two years since I'm using my own wireless router anyway.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
reply to hobgoblin

Glad to see that the list has expanded. It is good to see some less expensive modems on the list such as the Motorola SB6121 and Zoom 5341J.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
reply to hobgoblin

Of course, I ordered an SB6141 YESTERDAY! (A friend was going to give me an SB6121 for FREE, last week, but TW said I couldn't use it.)

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to hobgoblin

hobgoblin See Profile

Zoom 5341J

And this model I think does 8 down stream bonding [looking at the specs online] so it's a great alternative to the pricey SB141.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hobgoblin

This is great and all. But as I told the CSR yesterday:

What if I buy my own modem, TWC sends a firmware update to it and bricks it. Who's responsible for replacing it?

What if the modem is blown up from a lightning strike that their system picks up and sends my way?

Last I looked, the SB6141 is about $115-$125. At $3.95 a month, ROI is about 29 months.

In that time, what if TWC says I need super modem SB6141d to stay on the plan I am on or to move to the Super Uber RoadRunner turbo extreme wild bore 9000 package? Do I have to buy a new modem for that?

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by ke4pym:

What if I buy my own modem, TWC sends a firmware update to it and bricks it. Who's responsible for replacing it?

What if the modem is blown up from a lightning strike that their system picks up and sends my way?

Last I looked, the SB6141 is about $115-$125. At $3.95 a month, ROI is about 29 months.

In that time, what if TWC says I need super modem SB6141d to stay on the plan I am on or to move to the Super Uber RoadRunner turbo extreme wild bore 9000 package? Do I have to buy a new modem for that?

If you own your modem your responsible for it ... so it's one of those catch 22.. do you save 3.95 a month by purchasing your own.. or do you pay 3.95 for the convenience that Time Warner will replace the modem you lease if it fails, blows up, becomes a brick, needs updated for a new speed package.. etc..

jimk
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to Matt7

said by Matt7:

hobgoblin See Profile

Zoom 5341J

And this model I think does 8 down stream bonding [looking at the specs online] so it's a great alternative to the pricey SB141.

It is as long as you get the one with the "J" and not the older version that looks almost the same. For about $80, it is a very good value vs the Motorola SB6121 and SB6141.

jimk
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Bricked modems due to bad firmware updates are quite rare.

Lightning strike = bad luck, but to be honest, if that happens the modem may be the least of your worries. Far more expensive things may be damaged in this case. Personally, if a $100 modem got fried in a lightning strike and nothing else was damaged, I would be considering myself lucky.

Expect the $3.95 fee to increase over time. Also, with the additional options such as the $100 Motorola SB6121 and the $80 Zoom 5341J, you now have options that will have a faster ROI.

To avoid having to replace the modem again in the future, pay attention to the specs. For example, the Zoom 5341J and Motorola SB6141 are DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 (up to 343 Mbps download), while some other modems such as the Motorola SB6121 are 4x4 (160 Mbps max download). TWC isn't know for being the most aggressive at offering extremely fast speeds, so any of these newer modems should be fine for a long time.

**edit regarding rental fee - here's what other providers charge**
Comcast: $7, option to own your own
Frontier: $7 and up, no way out of it
AT&T U-verse VDSL: $4, no way out of it (proprietary equipment, rental only)
AT&T U-verse ADSL2+: $75 and up, modem is proprietary to AT&T
AT&T DSL - ADSL non-U-verse: Can buy industry standard modem

Lots of other providers haven't been included, but as you can see, it could be a lot worse. Some ISPs have no way out of a modem fee, or require proprietary equipment. Right now, TWC's fee is also lower than average, but I would expect to see it increase over time.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Thanks to the notice from Hob, we posted on this on Stop the Cap! today. »stopthecap.com/2012/11/13/time-w···se-list/

Key bits:

The 6121 is back on the list but we still don't recommend it because the 6141 can bond more channels.

The 6141 gouging has eased on eBay. Prices are now ranging from $86-99 for this compared to $80 for the 6121. The extra few bucks is worth it.

Reviews are very mixed on the Zoom and Netgear models.

A tier 3 rep in Rochester told us they will activate -any- modem they currently send out in the field to rent. That's nice if you get a Tier 3 rep to talk to. The national call centers remain sticklers for that list of approved models only.

I personally bought the 6141 and am very happy with it.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

tjack
Premium
join:2003-10-13
Buffalo, NY
reply to hobgoblin

I have an Arris TM502G modem. I assume I just have standard service. Of the list of modems which is the best? If I upgrade to Turbo ( I have until the end of November to upgrade for $5 ), then which modem on the list is the best. Thanks in advance for the info.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

A modem bricked from firmware is next to impossible these days. They keep two copies of firmware on the modem and one is upgraded and used if it works. If it doesn't work, it falls back to the working version and can be attempted again. Plus, the entire reason they have a list of approved modems is that they test them with firmware that they are given to be sure that simply loading the firmware on won't brick them. And a corrupt copy of a good firmware will never load and brick because of there being 2 firmwares, as well as it failing checksum if it is corrupt.

More than your modem is going to fry because of that. This could fry your TV as well if you have coax going into your TV.

I imagine if you prove that this was completely because of a fault of theirs, they could be forced to pay for everything that was fried.

If you are that worried that their system is not grounded correctly, then you should get a surge protector with an F-connector on it and put your modem connection through that.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to Dampier

said by Dampier:

Thanks to the notice from Hob, we posted on this on Stop the Cap! today. »stopthecap.com/2012/11/13/time-w···se-list/

Key bits:

The 6121 is back on the list but we still don't recommend it because the 6141 can bond more channels.

The 6141 gouging has eased on eBay. Prices are now ranging from $86-99 for this compared to $80 for the 6121. The extra few bucks is worth it.

Reviews are very mixed on the Zoom and Netgear models.

A tier 3 rep in Rochester told us they will activate -any- modem they currently send out in the field to rent. That's nice if you get a Tier 3 rep to talk to. The national call centers remain sticklers for that list of approved models only.

I personally bought the 6141 and am very happy with it.

another reason not to get a SB6121 is that you might not have bonding period as it has been reported that the Cisco 10k CMTS for some reason tells the 4 channel modems not to bond if you have 8 channels enabled and I would assume that would be the same for 6 channel areas.

So the only areas that I know of having more than 6 channels are:

Dallas metro (includes Greenville/Commerce TX) 6 downstream channels

NYC/Hudson Valley/NJ 6 downstream channels

Kansas City metro 8 downstream channels

I am wanting to bet that other areas fixing to follow suit thanks to the analog reclaims that happened in the North east and next month in WI.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to hobgoblin

"That's what she said." --Michael Scott [grin]

The one triple cable package (Internet+TV+Phone) is complex in requiring an adapter, lease fee for digital phone service, etc. Ugh.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

So the SB121, SB141 and SB6580 are supported with the Standard service. I feel like strangling those tech support idiots and the service guy who swapped my modem saying that Earthlink Standard is not supported with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Still I will stick with the SB5101U for at least a year and then decide what to do but now I do wish I waited.

SESnut

join:2000-03-06
Flushing, NY
reply to hobgoblin

When I called to put my own modem in because the one I got from tw broke, they let me add the dlink I had.

but then again, I'm on earthlink

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to ke4pym

Sign me up for: Super Uber RoadRunner turbo extreme wild bore 9000 package!

Take that Google Fiber, lolz

Bluphan

@rr.com
reply to hobgoblin

What is the difference between SB6121 and SB6141?

And no, the answer is not "20."

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit

said by Bluphan :

What is the difference between SB6121 and SB6141?

And no, the answer is not "20."

Yeah the SB6121 bonds only 4x4 channels and the SB6141 bonds 8x4. I think the SB6121 uses a Broadcom chip and the SB6141 uses a TI chip. EDIT: I'm glad to see that zoom on the list and i may return my SB6141 for it, because these Surfboards have been funny to me and I'm sick of them! (I have two SB6141's)

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to Bluphan

6141 can bond 8 channels for downlink and 6121 can only do 4. However, 4 is only used in most areas

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9

Yea, I just got a 6141 yesterday and it's only using 4 channels on our system.