spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zfleeman

@rr.com

[TWC] Port Forwarding Arris DG860a

I am having a hell of a time setting up my Arris DG860a modem to port forward to the server in my apartment. I have the HTTP (80) port open through the 'virtual servers' settings, but nothing is working.

You all can ping zfleeman.com directly, but I can't access my page that my nginx server is producing. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible with more questions, but I'm way too frustrated to be dealing with this any longer.

For reference: »i.imgur.com/DpauN.png

zfleeman

@kcp.com
I know there wasn't a good question associated with this post, I was just wondering if anybody else had issues with hosting a server on their Arris DG860a. If so, what did you do to properly open up your ports?

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to zfleeman
Are you a business class or residential subscriber? If residential, most likely TWC is filtering inbound TCP port 80 traffic since their AUP states residential accounts cannot operate servers.

You may need to change the port your web server listens on, or (more correctly) subscribe to business class service which doesn't filter out common server ports.

zfleeman

@kcp.com
said by hawk82:

Are you a business class or residential subscriber? If residential, most likely TWC is filtering inbound TCP port 80 traffic since their AUP states residential accounts cannot operate servers.

You may need to change the port your web server listens on, or (more correctly) subscribe to business class service which doesn't filter out common server ports.

I just spoke with TWC, and they said they do not block any ports. They gave me the Arris support number, so I'll see if they can help me or not.

zfleeman

@kcp.com
reply to zfleeman
Arris support told me they couldn't mess with a modem issued by my cable provider, and hung up. I'm raging out, now. Why is there no good guide on port forwarding an Arris DG860?

zfleeman

@kcp.com
reply to zfleeman
Could this be my issue? I don't know if it makes much sense to me.

»www.skypecomwww.speedguide.net/f···2&qid=70

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to zfleeman
What firewall and anti-virus software are you running? What OS are you running?

Is your computer directly connected to the Arris DG860a modem or is there other network gear inline?

zfleeman

@kcp.com
said by DrDrew:

What firewall and anti-virus software are you running? What OS are you running?

Is your computer directly connected to the Arris DG860a modem or is there other network gear inline?

My server is running Ubuntu 12.something using nginx as a http server, and it is directly hooked up to my modem.

zfleeman

@kcp.com
reply to zfleeman
My modem does have a firewall setting. I assume that should be off?