uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[WIN8] Microsoft's head Windows guy leaving IMMEDIATELY

Microsoft and their chief Windows guy are parting ways. Was it amicable or was he forced out?

»allthingsd.com/20121112/breaking···crosoft/

Windows unit president Steven Sinofsky is leaving the company, effective immediately, AllThingsD has confirmed.

The move comes less than a month after Sinofsky presided over the launch of Windows 8 and Microsoft’s Surface tablet–products seen as key to the future if the PC software pioneer is to retain its position amid a market increasingly dominated by phones and tablets.

Sources have said the move came amid growing tension between Sinofsky and other top executives. Sinofsky, though seen as highly talented, was viewed at the top levels as not the kind of team player that the company was looking for. The move is likened by some to the recent ouster at Apple of iOS head Scott Forstall.

Officially, Microsoft is saying that the move was a mutual decision by Sinofsky and the company.

Update: In a press release, Ballmer praised Steven’s work, but also talked about a need for “more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

Maybe the less than enthusiastic reception of Windows 8 played a part in his leaving.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

quote:
...Sinfosky, who took the reins of Windows in 2006, after a long career in the Office unit, helped restore order and discipline to the operating system following the boondoggle of Windows Vista. In the wake of that widely-panned release, Sinofsky spearheaded the development of the largely praised Windows 7 release before turning his attention to Windows 8 – a far more radical overhaul of the software.

However, he was a divisive figure both inside and outside of the Windows group...
I suspect that last sentence carries far more weight about the parting than the reception-to-date of Win 8, short timespan that it's been to this point.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to FFH

Very interesting.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to FFH

Ballmer was referncing a rapid development cycles for their offerings. To be competitive Microsoft would likely have to mirror Apple's annual OS upgrade cycle for both Windows and Windows RT.

Releasing a new OS every year instead of ever three or so years has got to put a lot of pressure on someone.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

said by Octavean:

Ballmer was referncing a rapid development cycles for their offerings. To be competitive Microsoft would likely have to mirror Apple's annual OS upgrade cycle for both Windows and Windows RT.

Releasing a new OS every year instead of ever three or so years has got to put a lot of pressure on someone.

And corporate users don't like updates that frequently.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to FFH

Well, I guess it's time to harvest what was seeded...

Frankly I thought, that it's going to come at next financial reports though. But who am I to make predictions...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
reply to FFH

This ouster is significant. I really have no idea why he was forced out but it seems clear that he was.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
reply to FFH

This is something unexpected specially near a product launch. Thanks for the update!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

This ouster is significant. I really have no idea why he was forced out but it seems clear that he was.

May be Balmer finally got Wndows 8 on his own computer and personally tried to use it?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Great performance only gets you so far in a large corporation, HOW you get that performance matters more.

Here's another perspective on Sinofsky's departure. MS is apparently putting an end to divisions competing against each other, and Sinofsky was no longer a good fit.

»news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57548···ldnt-be/
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Maybe the less than enthusiastic reception of Windows 8 played a part in his leaving.

Nope. The time was just right - end of a release cycle, not the middle. Windows 8 is actually doing quite well.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by Octavean:

I don’t see the point you‘re trying to make with that statement. As it stands now with a quasi 3 yr OS upgrade cycle corporate users may still not upgrade each release. So what difference does it make if they don’t want to upgrade every year when they clearly don’t want to upgrade every three years either. The option of upgrading is still there so they simply have more options.

My only point in pointing out the possibility of an accelerated OS launch cycle is that it is conceivably more work for whomever holds such a position.

Anyway, Steven Sinofsky replacment has been named and she‘s not half bad looking:

»www.techpowerup.com/175431/Micro···cts.html

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

The exact opposite is the case:

said by Techpowerup

Since 1993, Larson-Green has worked on and led some of the most successful products for Microsoft, including the user experiences for early versions of Internet Explorer, and helped drive the thinking behind the refresh of the user experience for Microsoft Office. For Windows 7 and Windows 8 she was responsible for program management, user interface design and research, as well as development of all international releases. She has a master's degree in software engineering from Seattle University and a bachelor's degree in business administration from Western Washington University. In her new role she will be responsible for all future Windows product development in addition to future hardware opportunities.

Metro and Ribbons, Microsoft is all-in.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Too true.
I work at a bank and we still use Windows XP.
Updates are always very far behind due to the fact that they have to be verified by the corporate's IT security department.

RazzyMS

@rr.com
reply to FFH

With Julie Larson-Green taking over, it's a great move.

She was responsible for Windows 7 and Windows 8 design.

BillRoland
Premium
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

said by RazzyMS :

With Julie Larson-Green taking over, it's a great move.

She was responsible for Windows 7 and Windows 8 design.

I didn't know Steve Ballmer posted here
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

Guardian:

quote:
But according to reports, there had been growing executive friction between Sinofsky and other top executives at the company. Steve Ballmer, who has been chief executive since late 1999, told staff in a memo on Monday that "Steven Sinofsky has decided to leave the company".

In a later press release, he said: "To continue [Windows'] success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings."
I assume the 2nd paragraph is intended to explain the 1st...

»www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20···sinofsky

RazzyMS

@rr.com
reply to BillRoland

I don't think he'll want to post on this forum full of newbs

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

Especially when that new every three years OS is the same as the existing OS but with just a new dress.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

2 recommendations

reply to RazzyMS

IMHO ribbon lady should have been the first to go, what an abomination.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to FFH

Sinofsky was a very interesting dude, but I don't think he made many friends at Microsoft with how he lead the Windows 8 development as it was very unlike typical Microsoft development in how internally secretive it was and I don't think that sat well with a lot of Microsoft dudes. That said 23 years at Microsoft is a long time to be at any one technical company as longevity is not a typical techie trait.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

RMS

@rr.com
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

IMHO ribbon lady should have been the first to go, what an abomination.

I'm not sure about that. Everything I hear about Sinofsky didn't sit well. Bill Gates is behind this also.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
reply to FFH

Was the guy Chinese? The interface and design seems Chinese to me.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

What, they don't have google where you are?

Here.

What on earth do you mean by 'the design seems chinese'?

I don't think group managers actually do the design work, though.

Expand your moderator at work

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 edit
reply to FFH

Re: [WIN8] Microsoft's head Windows guy leaving IMMEDIATELY

more opinion on the subject
»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/13···en_exit/

edit link

Cudni

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

said by Octavean:

Especially when that new every three years OS is the same as the existing OS but with just a new dress.

Works for Apple
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Blogger:

said by Octavean:

Works for Apple

Indeed it does quite well in fact,.....

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dave

said by dave:

... What on earth do you mean by 'the design seems chinese'?
I don't think group managers actually do the design work, though.

Only in very small operations with just a couple of people in a "group" might 'group managers' do design work... and MS certainly isn't in that class. That's a big reason why passionate "designers" resist moving into management.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

Was the guy Chinese? The interface and design seems Chinese to me.

Sounds like a personal problem.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.