Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool

Re: [WIN8] Microsoft's head Windows guy leaving IMMEDIATELY

There is an expression “its all Greek to me”. It simply suggests something is in a foreign language and cannot be understood by all. However, anyone that has gone to college long enough or majored in the sciences likely knows the Greek alphabet in its entirety and can literally read Greek.

Anyway, I’m going to hope that was what you intended to say or suggest by referencing “Chinese”. Otherwise it could be offensive to some people and we definitely don’t want that sort of thing.

XBL2009
------
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

XBL2009 to FFH5

to FFH5
Ballmer was worried that Sinofsky would be the next CEO, so he forced him out.

Thanks for Windows 7, the only good OS Microsoft has produced.

RazzyNT
@rr.com

RazzyNT

Anon

said by XBL2009:

Ballmer was worried that Sinofsky would be the next CEO, so he forced him out.

Thanks for Windows 7, the only good OS Microsoft has produced.

All NT based OS MS produced are very good OSes.

Win9x are the bad ones. (Although Windows 98 was pretty good at its time.)
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to Octavean

to Octavean
Yes it is. I am not impressed with this new operating system at all.
Expand your moderator at work

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean

Re: [WIN8] Microsoft's head Windows guy leaving IMMEDIATELY

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Blogger:

said by Octavean:

Releasing a new OS every year instead of ever three or so years has got to put a lot of pressure on someone.

Especially when that new every three years OS is the same as the existing OS but with just a new dress.

Works for Apple

said by Octavean:

Indeed it does quite well in fact,.....

Yeah but the iSheep will buy anything the minute Apple releases it. Not sure MS has the same cult following. Oh wait, all the companies still running XP... I'm sure they don't.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
There are tremendous functional, financial, and operating differences between Microsoft Windows “new” operating systems and new Apple’s OS X "upgrades" or changes. The differences are huge. The systemic differences are why MS Windows new operating systems are all ways so controversial and compared to Apple’s upgrades Windows is also expensive and generally the upgrade process more difficult in a variety of ways by many users.

I’m not bad-mouthing MS compared to Apple I’m just using the Apple comparison to highlight, so to speak, the overall stand alone issues of a MS OS change and the costs and degree of difficulty of upgrading.

The bottom line is if for the sake of discussion there was no OS X or Apple and MS Windows stood alone in the field as the main home computer or business computer user the criticisms would remain regarding the debatable quality and need of the new OS, the price of the OS, (at full regular retail price after intros rollout specials), as well as the degree of impact of the OS on the user both in functions along with the degree of problems or hassles in upgrading by many, (not all), users as well as the mixed results by users after the upgrade!

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
And the suggestion is that there is a drive to move the lumbering massive three year cycle to the more nimble "lets pick a new cat name every year" cycle employed by companies with fruit logos.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

Blogger

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

And the suggestion is that there is a drive to move the lumbering massive three year cycle to the more nimble "lets pick a new cat name every year" cycle employed by companies with fruit logos.

When it comes to personal computers and all about them I wouldn't be considered either an expert or advanced, especially with OS X. With OS X I've learned the past three years simply by playing with it. I've yet to read anything on how to run the thing.

I have both a PC and a Mac and have used every version of Windows extensively. My knowledge of Windows 95 and 98 would have been considered at level advanced in those days. (I'm not even remotely close to those levels now.)

The above being said it is my impression that as of now the way the totality of thought and code that make up Windows would not permit the type of changes that are made by OS X. It is my impression that overall the changes in OS X that result in a change in its label, (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion) is simply to identify the differences between them---and those differences is simply an upgrade in features, function, technology to the same basic OS underneath. One prominent feature of that is upgrades are cheap and rarely a problem and they are also functionally often not a must have. (I still run Snow Leopard fine all though I will be upgrading to Mountain Lion soon. I suspect given my future and what we see in technology in the foreseeable future it will be some time before I change from Mountain Lion.)

IMO nothing demonstrates the myriad of diverse problems with the MS way and Windows as the switch from XP to Vista. The Vista OS was a colossal failure in terms of marketing, performance, and an OS advance from XP given the public objective of MS in creating a new OS to replace XP. It is simply hard to understand how given what MS poured five years and an unprecedented number of man hours and funds to end up with Vista. A PR, business and OS failure of epic proportion when compared to what it was supposed to be and when compared to what XP was following 98/Me and how successful XP grew to be.

I can't imagine Apple ever logistically stumbling or going down the specific type of road of failure as Vista.

If MS could improve in the manner different or newer versions of OS X I certainly would be happy for them. I really like Windows 7 and think that it is a good OS plus definitely the best OS Microsoft has ever put out. Yet in release of updates such as this past Tuesday, (and such releases or more are not rare), the one Tuesday update exceeds all of the updates by a factor of three or four that I have had to apply to OS X Snow Leopard in the past three years.

Again I point that out simply to point out the "problem" with MS OS not to tout Apple OS X. I for one root for MS to see the weakness or errors of their ingrained genetic ways given their dominance in the world of the personal computer, (generic.)

Windows 8 based upon my reading reports of others to be the same horse as Win 7 with just a fancier saddle to try and convince users that it's really a whole new and better horse. And they will prove it to you no matter how much it costs you.

RazzyApple
@charter.com

RazzyApple to JohnInSJ

Anon

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Blogger:

said by Octavean:

Releasing a new OS every year instead of ever three or so years has got to put a lot of pressure on someone.

Especially when that new every three years OS is the same as the existing OS but with just a new dress.

Works for Apple

But Apple still only charges less than $30

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

Windows 8 based upon my reading reports of others to be the same horse as Win 7 with just a fancier saddle to try and convince users that it's really a whole new and better horse. And they will prove it to you no matter how much it costs you.

Well, I guess if you actually used it, you'd see that it has at least twice as many new features vs 7 as ML does vs Lion. For $40 instead of $30.

Obviously, if they move to calling each minor feature add a new release, they'll need to charge only $30 or so for each upgrade.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

1 recommendation

BillRoland

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Well, I guess if you actually used it, you'd see that it has at least twice as many new features vs 7 as ML does vs Lion.

Not sure "frustration" is counted as a real feature.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

You're right, in marketing-speak it falls under "improved customer experience".

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

said by JohnInSJ:

Well, I guess if you actually used it, you'd see that it has at least twice as many new features vs 7 as ML does vs Lion.

Not sure "frustration" is counted as a real feature.

Really? I've been using it every day for 8+ hours a day. I am not feeling frustration. I mean honestly, are y'all spending all day playing with your start menus?

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

Me neither.

I use 8 on my home and biz computers. Runs many many software I used on 7 including QuickBooks 2012 perfect.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Even my 10, 13 and 15 year olds use it with no problem. Same for my extremely non-techie wife. I personally have no issues with it and like it quite a bit.

I guess my family and I get smarter while the confused and frustrated get . . . more confused and frustrated.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

Even my 10, 13 and 15 year olds use it with no problem. Same for my extremely non-techie wife. I personally have no issues with it and like it quite a bit.

I guess my family and I get smarter while the confused and frustrated get . . . more confused and frustrated.

Heck I voted for Obama and even I could figure it out!

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to 67845017

MVM

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

That’s largely been my experience as well although my Wife only uses OS X now.

I’ve stated in earlier threads that I believe it’s the most experienced PC / Windows users that are the most vocal and outspoken against the Windows 8 new UI. This likely stems from being pushed out of their comfort zone of experience (knowledge).

It’s the less experienced or less classically experienced users that seem to take well to the new Windows UI as well as younger users. That and the more open minded users.

The expression “you can’t teach old dogs new tricks“ came about for a reason.