All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skinnydoggy

join:2012-11-12
Scarborough, ON

[Cable] Modem will only connect to Internet directly to PC...

At first, we were having intermittent downtime ranging from a few minutes to a day over the course of the last two weeks.

As of Friday, we had no service, and discovered it will only work if connected directly to a PC.

I have a fairly simple setup, my Modem is a Motorola SB6120, which is connected to a D-Link Dir-655, which is then connected to two switches, both off of 2 of the 4 (gigabit) ports on the router. Everything was working this way for over 1 year.

I have tried many things:

1) swapping out all Ethernet cables for new ones

2) resetting/reconfiguring/power cycling my existing router and modem

3) calling teksavvy a million times going through all of their steps

4) replacing the wireless router with a brand new wd n900

5) connecting through just the router with no additional crap/switches/devices

6) My network troubleshoot tells me it can't get an IP when the modem goes through either router or switch (neither works)

7) modem will not go through Trendnet 8 port switch either, which is really messed up, considering it's not a managed switch, and yes, many different ethernet cords were attempted

I have no idea what to do next... Could it be a DHCP reservation issue with my MAC address?! This makes no sense to me why a direct connect will work, but not a simple switch, or a router...

I'd really appreciate the help, this is driving me nuts

Does anyone else have this issue? I don't want to leave Teksavvy, I'm sure this can be fixed somehow...

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5

Re: [Cable] Modem will only connect to Internet directly to PC..

Hello,

The MAC is definitely a possible culprit. Were you connected to the router (successfully) when the outage started on Friday? This would make it less likely as the modem was last working with the routers MAC at that time.

If your know how and your router supports it you can clone the MAC of the computer that has access onto your router and see if that helps.

If that is not an option you can also remove the coax cable from the modem, do a full factory reset (modem interface 192.168.100.1 > configuration page), connect the router as soon as the modem starts to reset so that it is the first thing the modem sees once back up, and reconnect the coax after the reset completes (may be best to leave it for a full half hour).

I hope this helps, if not let us know.

Thank you,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

skinnydoggy

Scarborough, ON

I have tried both of these suggestions. I have cloned the MAC address on the router, but as stated, the modem signal will not even go through a simple unmanaged switch

I have logged into the modem, as instructed by support, and reset the defaults, same result. I do not understand why this would not even go through a simple switch...

Thanks for the response, I can't believe that a direct connection works fine, but two different switches, and two different wireless routers, both different brands, and one brand new, will not pass the signal...

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to skinnydoggy

Hi There,

Has this been resolved? If not please DM us in the direct forum and we'll have a further look into this.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to skinnydoggy

skinnydoggy, the problem you are having is either very strange, or it is the standard MAC address, DHCP, connected computers limit that TSI Keith is mentioning.

The steps TSI Keith outlines do fix this issue, but small deviations from the steps could cause the problem to continue. If you understand the reason it happens, that might help you to avoid it.. To that end, do you understand the issue with MAC addresses, Rogers DHCP server, and why clone MAC solves it?
--
electronicsguru.ca

skinnydoggy

Scarborough, ON

I have cloned the MAC address of my PC in the router.

No, I don't understand.

I assume that teksavvy has my MAC in the Rogers DHCP server, and Rogers is sending me new IP's every so often. Is it possible my MAC is duplicated or something? My setup has not changed, and it had been working for a year, until about a week ago. It came back intermittently, off and on, and now it will not come back up at all. Nothing has changed.

The issue seems VERY strange. It must be something on Teksavvy's side. work from home fairly often, and can't afford this downtime.

Thanks for the response. teksavvy has not responded in the Direct forum, and you seem like a very valuable member in this community.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

Teksavvy doesn't have anything to do with your modem getting online, or IP assignments on your account. All they see is a bunch of traffic from thousands of customers on a POI. Teksavvy does give Rogers bundles of IP addresses for specific neighbourhoods to use. That's all Teksavvy does, everything else is Rogers.

At some point I'll type up the entire sync process, but for now I don't have time... What you need to do:

Disconnect your cable modem from the coax cable. This stops information about what's connected to the modem from getting to Rogers. It also starts a countdown for Rogers to clear all cached information about your connected devices.

Pick a router that you think is most likely to work. Connect it to the modem and power and factory reset it (get rid of any MAC cloning you may have done in the past). Modem is still not connected to coax.

Reboot everything, just to be sure. Modem is still not connected to coax.

Access 192.168.100.1, and you should get the modem config page. This is through the router, and the coax is still disconnected. (Problems? Access the status page of the router. Does it show a 192.168.100.x IP address for the WAN or Internet interface?)

Do the factory reset in the modem (sounds like you have a SB612X, and you need to do "Restore All Defaults" on the Configuration page). Modem is still not connected to coax.

Reboot everything again. Modem is still not connected to coax.

At this point you can attach the coax and wait for sync lights. Once the modem is fully synced you may have to reboot the router again.
If that doesn't work, do it all again except don't reconnect the coax for 30 minutes.
--
electronicsguru.ca

callous10

join:2005-09-12
toron
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skinnydoggy

Getting your router working with teksavvy has nothing to do with teksavvy. If your computer is online direct through the modem then their involvement is at an end. That they're even bothering to try to troubleshoot this means other clients who cant get online at all are facing longer telephone wait times.

Call up your router support and go from there.

skinnydoggy

Scarborough, ON

Does anyone read (not you Teddy)? I tried through two different routers, and two different switches. It doesn't matter anyways, I have signed up with Start.ca. We shall see if the problem persists. If it does, the issue is obviously the modem, and yes, it is at the proper firmware level.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skinnydoggy

Some odd statements your making so will start with the basics:

- Coax cable goes into the Cable Modem
- Ethernet cable connects Modem to the WAN Port of the router
- Check the router's status page to see if it's getting a lease

** Do not connect the modem to any Ethernet switch or any LAN port on the router ** Doing so can lead to a random device(s) on the network obtaining a DHCP lease from the Cable Modem and causing all sorts of grief.

Once done the status page should look like the image above.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to skinnydoggy

Does this work for you?

Access 192.168.100.1, and you should get the modem config page. This is through the router, and the coax is still disconnected. (Problems? Access the status page of the router. Does it show a 192.168.100.x IP address for the WAN or Internet interface?)
--
electronicsguru.ca

skinnydoggy

Scarborough, ON
reply to BrianON

Here is the strange thing... I cannot access my modem, or the router through any PC. If I directly connect my modem to my PC, 192.168.100.1 works. If I connect my PC straight to the Router, I can access 192.168.1.1.

I cannot pull up the modem, or router when the modem is connected to the router, and my PC is connected to one of the LAN ports of either router.

Maybe the modem is defective? I have never had a modem go, so very strange... Teksavvy assured me it wasn't the modem, they said signals and power levels were fine. I do of course know the basics, my setup had been working fine, with no issues for almost a year (since that major outage), and no changes to my setup.

Thanks for the post,

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to skinnydoggy

have you tried setting a static ip to log into the modem?

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to skinnydoggy

The default IP address for the DIR-655 is 192.168.0.1, not sure about the other router some don't pass through the other subnet once they get an address, I know the DIR-655 does (same model I use). Posting some of the information on the WAN status / configuration would help others troubleshoot.