Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

X10A

join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC
reply to jaguar20100

Re: [Internet] Bell shaping Up speed?

your work may have cap ftp/or high volume connection to a low number.... very common practice.

find a good friend who can reach max speed at home and ask him/her to download the same thing.

also look at multithread...

jaguar20100

join:2011-12-01
Mississauga, ON
said by X10A:

your work may have cap ftp/or high volume connection to a low number.... very common practice.

find a good friend who can reach max speed at home and ask him/her to download the same thing.

also look at multithread...

Already mentioned that work internet is ruled out. Have tried other places and ISPs with upto 40Mbps down/up.

anon4567

@bell.ca

My dad has 15/10 and I have never had any problem getting the full 10mbps when downloading from the server I have on his LAN.

I did have problems initially but they went away after I allowed ICMP on the firewall. My guess is that PPPoE and its 1492 MTU is the culprit, if you filter ICMP and by extension pathMTU discovery (which is ICMP) then your traffic is getting horribly fragmented on the return path since the 2 end points won't know about the lower mtu of the dsl connection.

jbiss_ca

join:2007-10-14
Verdun, QC
I just looked through the settings on the Sagemcon 2864 modem but can't find anywhere where it would let me unblock external ICMP filtering. Is there somewhere to do that from the menu?

anon4567

@bell.ca
no idea, I installed an linksys e4200 running tomato shibby to do the pppoe and the sagecom is simply a modem

jaguar20100

join:2011-12-01
Mississauga, ON
May be this is the solution, not to use sagemcom for what it is intended to be. I'll try to use it as a bridge and see what happens.