AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA

Re: cement experts - does this look right?

said by Jack_in_VA:

Most definitely but in the end the contractor is working for the customer

this
said by Jack_in_VA:

and if the contractor has problems with the AHJ's then the customer will suffer. I can tell you that if you aggravate an inspector too much you better be ready.

the inspector is not god, and as a civil servant, is also an employee of the owner. This being said, this should be resolved outside of the AHJ's oversight.

As the owner, I would not allow it even to go to inspection, then again, I have a little experience in these sort of things.

Back to your original point, having a pissed off contractor is no picnic either.
AVD

AVD

Premium Member

These things happen even with the best contractors, (but more often with the worst) Its what the contractor does to rectify the situation that makes him a good one or a hack.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to AVD

MVM

to AVD
said by AVD:

the inspector is not god, and as a civil servant, is also an employee of the owner.

No, he's not an employee of the owner. He's an employee of the state/city/county/whatever. You pay a permit and/or inspection fee, but that doesn't make him an employee of you. He is supposed to be unbiased and not have a dog in the fight with determining which side wins as long as the work is done to code.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by cdru:

He's an employee of the state/city/county/whatever.

which makes him an employee of the people of the state/city/county/whatever.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by AVD:

which makes him an employee of the people of the state/city/county/whatever.

You don't determined if he is hired/fired. You don't determine his job performance. You don't get to tell him what to do or not do. You don't set rules for his job. There is no employer-employee relationship between you and him. He works for the people, but he is not your employee.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

The inspector has to give professional courtesy to the contractors, but they have to be courteous to the public too. I cannot think of any public service employee (that is not uniformed) that can get away with a vendetta against a citizen.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by AVD:

I cannot think of any public service employee (that is not uniformed) that can get away with a vendetta against a citizen.

EPA, IRS, FBI, Department of Health, DHS, DoD, prosecutors office, ...
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
You're talking philosophy, cdru is talking in practice.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

I cannot think of any public service employee (that is not uniformed) that can get away with a vendetta against a citizen.

Are you SURE you live in NJ??
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

The inspector has to give professional courtesy to the contractors, but they have to be courteous to the public too. I cannot think of any public service employee (that is not uniformed) that can get away with a vendetta against a citizen.

While in practice I agree with you, this is the way it should be handled. Unfortunately too often it isn't handled this way. What it really boils to is do you have the money to fight "city hall"? Some do and I've seen some that have that trump card hidden up their sleeve. Trust me, you NEED that trump card if you try and take on "city hall" because otherwise they generally have the "my shit don't stink" and "I can do whatever I want" attitude that really needs to be put back in it's place.