uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to analog andy

Re: Ditching Shaw cable need media player ideas

said by TOPDAWG:

good god man he does not need a 4 core PC with 16GB to run media. That is way over-kill just for media unless he also wants to run games. I like your idea but that is so costly and can be done so much cheaper.

Andy can you post what your budget is so folks can better list your options. Also what you want to do and how many TV you got and the like.

If he wanted to run HTPC then i woulda just recommended a Zotac and called it a day.

But i figured since the poster was looking for a solution I provided one that would not only grow with the next new thing but is simple and easy to use and can also allow him to bring his media on the road also would allow playback of any file type onto any device..

Just for reference My setup:

Usenet Server:

Quad core xeon @ 2.6ghz with 16gb ram, 4x240gb ssd in raid 10 (This set up was required to achieve full speed on Usenet on 250/15 package from shaw)

Software installed: Sabnzbd, sickbeard

Couchpotato Server:

Virtual machine running 8X2.6ghz cores with 4gb ram

Deluge Server:

Virtual Machine running 8x2.6ghz with 16gb ram

PlexMediserver

cpu 2x 6x2.4ghz opterons with 32Gb ram, 4x 128gb ssd in raid 10

Freenas File server
Quad core xeon @ 2.6ghz w/32GB ram

16x3tb in raid 10

End Devices (Multiple in use at the same time)

3x Ipad
1x Iphone
1x ATV2
1x Android phone running plex
3x Roku 2 XS

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

oh yeah I like your set-up you posted as it's future proofing more then what I posted exp if 4K ever comes home you'll need more then a dual core to run that I'd guess. Issue was OP did not give enough info on what he wanted and his budget.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by TOPDAWG:

oh yeah I like your set-up you posted as it's future proofing more then what I posted exp if 4K ever comes home you'll need more then a dual core to run that I'd guess. Issue was OP did not give enough info on what he wanted and his budget.

Most time people settle on the lowest price but not necessarily what they wanted...