spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

junkedbrian

@74.198.164.x

[Cable] ottawa outage... again??

What is going on? Its been 3 weeks of on again off again internet for me at home in downtown Ottawa. I'm one more outage away from cancelling my service. I love waiting 55 minutes on the phone to talk to the service too.

I love the high-speed and unlimited cap but at this point I'm willing to pay more for less bandwidth and a more reliable service.

Anyways apparently the Ottawa area is experiencing another outage.. big surprise.

Nov 13, 12:30am

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

Are you sure it's not just your modem acting up?
Do you have a DCM-475 modem?
Is the software version on it "Stac.02.08" ?

If so, then that's the source of the problem, and it can be fixed by a firmware update.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to junkedbrian

Hi There,

There is currently an outage in Ottawa concerning Signal and DHCP issues. We already have a ticket open with Rogers, although I definitely understand your frustration in the matter. If you haven't been able to contact us yet please do so in the direct forum and we can look into this for you.

Expand your moderator at work

amd7674

join:2007-02-19
Nepean, ON
reply to TSILiz

Re: [Cable] ottawa outage... again??

said by TSILiz:

Hi There,

There is currently an outage in Ottawa concerning Signal and DHCP issues. We already have a ticket open with Rogers, although I definitely understand your frustration in the matter. If you haven't been able to contact us yet please do so in the direct forum and we can look into this for you.

Elizabeth from above statment it seems there are more customers in Ottawa area with signal issues.

Could this be related to St.Laurent POI? My parents in law (affected people) 5120 modem on 18mb TSI service works perfectly fine at my house (Fallowfield POI).

smerrikin

join:2011-03-30
Ottawa, ON

After the downtime I suffered I called Rogers to see what they can offer a new customer.
I was offered 200 gb at 35/3 for $58 after taxes including a rental modem.
I am still debating on switching due to the downtime issues.
I was getting 8Mbps last night after finally coming back online (5 days without).
I am going to monitor my usage and see what the family actually uses these days.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to junkedbrian

They're still trying to pinpoint which POI is affected, which I will post once that information is given to me, but I can't say for sure its the St.Laurent POI as of yet. It's certainly possible, just not confirmed.

junkedbriam

@74.198.164.x
reply to junkedbrian

I was able to get through last night and cancelled my service.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
reply to junkedbrian

said by junkedbrian :

I love the high-speed and unlimited cap but at this point I'm willing to pay more for less bandwidth and a more reliable service.

You should consider DSL!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to junkedbrian

I've been with TSI for a month and a half now in Ottawa (near the market/Lowertown) and while it's been mostly up, I do lose connectivity (yet keep sync) a couple times a day for about 30 seconds.

i obviously only notice it when i'm trying to do things like play games/stream video/use voice communication, i can only imagine it's going down a lot more while i'm not using it. It's not a sync or cable issue since the line stats are solid and Rogers internet was solid the last 2 years at this location.

I'll likely switch to Start and see if it's any better next month and if not consider going back to Rogers for the stability.

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

If your modem is the 475 and you have the 2.08 firmware, that's your problem. I had the same issue, until mlord flashed my modem to version 2.16 over a month ago, and not a single disconnect (except for the major outage last Friday, of course) since. Check it out:

»Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

I have a 476 and the latest firmware. like I said, I'm not getting disconnected or losing sync or losing my DHCP lease. I'm simply not able to reach TSI for a few seconds a few times a day.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
reply to junkedbrian

Hi All,

We are actively working with rogers on this. Rogers is upgrading their networks, doing node splits etc and it's causing downtime for our clients and in turn mostly DHCP issues. I appreciate everyone's patience on this as we work through the kinks.

As for the wait times, yes especially in the evenings on the Technical support queue we are quite busy (especially when there is an outage) we are actively searching and looking to hire another 40 TSR's to assist with the wait times.

Thanks to all for your patience as we work through this.

Pierre A
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

amd7674

join:2007-02-19
Nepean, ON

said by TSI Pierre:

Hi All,

We are actively working with rogers on this. Rogers is upgrading their networks, doing node splits etc and it's causing downtime for our clients and in turn mostly DHCP issues. I appreciate everyone's patience on this as we work through the kinks.

As for the wait times, yes especially in the evenings on the Technical support queue we are quite busy (especially when there is an outage) we are actively searching and looking to hire another 40 TSR's to assist with the wait times.

Thanks to all for your patience as we work through this.

Pierre A

Pierre it would be nice if they gave you a list IPs of affected users. My in-laws cannot sync their modem since last Tuesday (9 days and counting). I have an open ticket and thread on direct support forum. The rogers tech is coming tomorrow (2nd visit) to try to fix the signal. I will even lend my in-laws my cable modem (working on Distributel via Rogers) so Rogers techie cannot blame it on faulty modem. My in-laws modem works perfectly fine on my POI (Fallowfield vs. not working on thiers ST.Laurent).